Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older Teslas limited to 90kW Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess I'm too late for the party :)

S/N T13B0007207
PN 1014114-00-A
VIN 5947
Delivery March 2013
Charging limited to 90kw

Wanted to add to wiki myself but I don't seem to have permission yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add: S85

Guess I'm too late for the party :)

S/N T13B0007207
PN 1014114-00-A
VIN 5947
Delivery March 2013
Charging limited to 90kw

Wanted to add to wiki myself but I don't seem to have permission yet.

Btw, anyone experienced loud buzzing noise from near front wheel well During supercharging? I recorded it if anyone is interested.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4BxsyU6wsMRS2wtUVRyaExnODA/edit?usp=sharing
Happens after driving highway speed for several hours and seems like battery cooling but it's really loud.

@towatana - In case you missed it there are about 3000 vehicles before you that have 120 kW support. There are some users who posted A batteries with April deliveries and it seems you were one of the unfortunate ones that got mixed in with them. It appears that Tesla got a late shipment of A battery cells and didn't know what else to do with them so they randomly stuck them in your car. If you were as excited as I was when they announced 120 kW and then disappointed when you learned your car doesn't support it, then I would press TM on this.

Sorry for the odd question - How do you calculate current kW? Just multiply the displayed amps and voltage together? or is there a setting I need to change to do this correctly.

Here's the setting

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391446817526.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391446817526.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 445
@towatana - In case you missed it there are about 3000 vehicles before you that have 120 kW support. There are some users who posted A batteries with April deliveries and it seems you were one of the unfortunate ones that got mixed in with them. It appears that Tesla got a late shipment of A battery cells and didn't know what else to do with them so they randomly stuck them in your car. If you were as excited as I was when they announced 120 kW and then disappointed when you learned your car doesn't support it, then I would press TM on this.

Fomenting discontent?

I don't understand this. If a 60 was able to upgrade to an 85 for $18k, why did Tesla quote me $45037.02 to swap an 85 for an 85???

Thats the price for just a pack, not counting giving your old pack back as a core fee. call back and reclairify.

Oh, they understood perfectly.

If you are paying in full for a new battery, I believe you are entitled to keep your existing battery. After all, you paid for both.
At least we have the two pathways now (Path A = Live with 90 kW max; Path B = Purchase a completely new battery.)
I guess this means TMC members will set the price of used packs themselves. It would be nice if Tesla could perform some sort of a certification on used packs so buyer and seller knew what they were getting. There will be some sort of demand for used packs when replacements are needed out of warranty.

Any tips?
Not that I know of... after a bit over 30K miles, was making a turn onto a freeway on-ramp and accelerating to pass a truck in the other lane when there was a dramatic loss of power and various warning indicators. Apparently the battery monitoring system had detected current where it wasn't supposed to be, so once I was pulled over on the shoulder and parked, car wouldn't go back into drive.

So, I don't think there is any particular abuse I'd recommend, just drive a lot! :wink:

Yes, it does that on my car (120kW charging) and then decreases as the kWs decrease. I asked the service center and they told me that it was the cooling system and it was normal. It was really annoying inside the car while I was waiting for the car to finish charging.

Good to know mine is not the only one. I also found when you turn cabin heater on, that noise changes and sometimes goes away for a while. Battery heat might be diverted to cabin heating (which won't help if it's in hot summer).

You know what really frosts me about this? In the reply from Ownership regarding my "A" battery, they concluded by saying, "we would like to thank you for being an early adopter'. Perfect. But you can be sure, once burned, twice shy. I was on the brink of sending a check in for a deposit on a Model X, but not a chance now. I'll give it a minimum of a year from first delivery. A shame, really.

If you're referring to the battery swap stations, I don't think you'll be allowed to just keep the one you swapped to. I believe you'll be expected to get your original one back on the return trip.

From Tesla Model S battery swap takes just 90 seconds, will track your old battery pack

Later, you can get your old pack back (again, fully charged and for another $60 fee) or you can pay an undetermined fee and keep the pack. Forbes says there will be a warranty available on the replacement pack, depending on its condition.