Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why should Tesla offer anything when it is not their fault at all, in fact it would be completely unfair to all those who paid for the option.

Everyone is complaining because Ford actually followed through on his promise to kill the cap and trade which everyone knows pays for these incentives. We KNEW it was going to happen, he campaigned on that promise, and we KNEW that the incentives could be cancelled without notice. Anyone who continued with their order after the PC gov won the election can only blame themselves for taking a $14k gamble.
I believe you are missing the main point about treating all the eligible ev's in the same way. Go back and read the last 10-20 pages to catch up. No one is arguing about the actual removal of the program.

I'm confused why I've had no communication from Tesla. I ordered an AWD on June 28th, so why like many on this forum didn't I get an email about the option to get a refund? I wonder if there's a pattern: for example, my order says I will pay cash - is Tesla only promoting the refund offer to those who were leveraging Tesla's financing? Or is it because I ordered AWD? Or because I don't have a VIN yet? I suppose I could phone them, stay on hold for a while, and ask.

I'm curious. To all: did you get an email, and what's the state of your order?

I have had no correspondence from Tesla but I did cancel last Friday over the phone using the standard #.

To date, my Tesla account online reflects no changes. Perhaps it won't till a cheque is cut...not sure.

I have also inquired (locally) about whether there will be a statement from them in regards to our plight just so we can put this to bed once and for all, mentioning how they stepped up for Germany etc. Nothing back yet. I suspect if there were good news we'd have already heard.

For anyone cancelling, it would be interesting to hear what feedback you are provided to the question of whether Tesla is considering doing anything for those affected.

I believe the consensus is that nothing will be done but it would be good to know for sure regardless.

Ordered BEFORE Ford was sworn in.

Why should Tesla offer anything when it is not their fault at all, in fact it would be completely unfair to all those who paid for the option.

Everyone is complaining because Ford actually followed through on his promise to kill the cap and trade which everyone knows pays for these incentives. We KNEW it was going to happen, he campaigned on that promise, and we KNEW that the incentives could be cancelled without notice. Anyone who continued with their order after the PC gov won the election can only blame themselves for taking a $14k gamble.
OK Fine

Then Cancel incentive for All not just for Tesla orders.

That's the discrimination going on here.

I'm confused why I've had no communication from Tesla. I ordered an AWD on June 28th, so why like many on this forum didn't I get an email about the option to get a refund? I wonder if there's a pattern: for example, my order says I will pay cash - is Tesla only promoting the refund offer to those who were leveraging Tesla's financing? Or is it because I ordered AWD? Or because I don't have a VIN yet? I suppose I could phone them, stay on hold for a while, and ask.

I'm curious. To all: did you get an email, and what's the state of your order?

It’s probably because you ordered AWD which was never on the rebate list so they assume you know you were never going to get a rebate at this point. Still would’ve been nice if they’d communicated with you though. If you do want a refund I would call before the end of the week to ask.

It’s probably because you ordered AWD which was never on the rebate list so they assume you know you were never going to get a rebate at this point. Still would’ve been nice if they’d communicated with you though. If you do want a refund I would call before the end of the week to ask.

I called Telsa last week when I found out about this. They said they were aware of the issue and would get back to me. I havent heard anything back.. Original RWD order June 19th. I changed to AWD, then back to RWD on June 26/27th. Cash with trade-in.

Tesla called me again today asking for a decision on my 3 which is ready for delivery. I indicated I’d decide Friday and they will call me

It must be they only require a decision by Friday when vin is assigned and ready for delivery.

I don’t have vin yet.

Again what’s with this cut Cheque thing though? I’ve paid twice by credit card. Every other transaction I have ever made with any business is returned directly on my credit card within 7 business days

While I have no evidence to support, I just presumed that because I was calling in via the toll free # and speaking with someone in the USA, that was the only way they could proceed. Doesn't make sense, I realize but I just took it at face value. I don't think anyone else had done so yet so no reference point established.

I don't really care. $42 in VISA points :)

• Funny
Reactions: PAWilson
While I have no evidence to support, I just presumed that because I was calling in via the toll free # and speaking with someone in the USA, that was the only way they could proceed. Doesn't make sense, I realize but I just took it at face value. I don't think anyone else had done so yet so no reference point established.

I don't really care. $42 in VISA points :)
Tesla indicated they would refund my visa. never mentioned.

I’ve had a vin for 2 months

Ok...So what about those who ordered theirs when the Liberals were "technically" still in power. That's the questions here. The new government officially has NO power until their swearing In ceremony - Ford was sworn in on the 29th of June. Therefore my (and I'm assuming many other people's) order was placed and down payment was made on the 27th of June, when the incentive was alive and well and the Liberals were still in power.

Anyone who ordered their car on June 29th or thereafter was "taking a gamble" as you put it. Those who ordered before the 29th should still qualify for the incentive.

I don't believe we're asking anyone to feel sorry for us. Fair is fair - the Cap and Trade program "filled" a bank account somewhere. That money was to go towards paying out this incentive. I believe the incentive should continue to be paid out until that fund or "bank account" has been depleted.

Corporations paid a carbon tax to aid in the proliferation of electric vehicles whether they wanted to or not. Ford is taking the money from this fund and using it to lower gas prices which incentivizes the burning of fossil fuels. It's literally the exact opposite of what the money within this fund was supposed to be put towards.

This is my opinion.

Yes

They Mislead us. Ford could of easily just said I do not know how we are going to wind it down. We will do our best to mitigate the consumer. We will do our best to honor all contracts but no guarantee. But he didn't. He said " We will honor ALL CONTRACTS"

If this was said then I would not have made an contract "order agreement" with Tesla. I would have waited.

How about suing Doug Ford and his government for damages. He understands that type of language.

We’re you told by Tesla Friday is a deadline? I’ve never received any communication from Tesla except take my money.

Until I hear different from them I’m staying status quo

I called Tesla last Friday.

After waiting 2 hours to speak to someone, they told me that as of that morning (Friday July 13th) they had received an official memo stating that they are to allow all refunds to residents of Ontario - even if you already have a VIN assigned. I asked them how long I had to decide and he told me they did not have a set deadline on this.

Again, this was last Friday so I'm not sure if anything has changed since then...

I will admit I’m a little disappointed I’ve never received any correspondence from Tesla. If I were just a normal person who put money down for a car because the Tesla dealership in Oakville told me about the incentives and didn’t spend time on these forums I’d have no idea what was going on.

Tesla would clearly know how many people are affected by this (LR RWD orders before July 11 not delivered) you would think that they would send an email to all of them giving them some guidance and advice on what is being done.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
So CBC interviewed me yesterday and posted this along with a CBC Radio piece which I haven't heard. They also interviewed me on camera for 30min this morning - Should air on CBC Toronto stations this evening. Maybe I am optimistic but there is still hope...although fleeting.
I wish the article mentioned that other EVs delivered before September 10th will still get the rebate.
Too bad Tesla didn't offer a comment. The articled could have at least mentioned Tesla's Tweet to the MTO: "It is unfair to treat our customers worse than those who bought their car from a middleman. We have reached out to the ministry and hope they correct this. Discriminating against Ontario residents based on how they chose to purchase a vehicle is wrong."