Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to make profit, lowering the MSRP when they're in the hole is unwise. There's no competition yet so lowering prices is not needed. People are already buying; again lowering prices not needed. They can throw Autopilot/FSD for free as an incentive if battery cost drops by that much - I highly doubt it also cause its a business and business wants money.

Don't disagree with any of that. It's just that I constantly hear how battery costs (the most costly component of an EV) are dropping steadily each year, yet the car prices are going in the other direction.

Also had feedback earlier today from the law firm I had contacted and they said almost exactly the same thing as I had reported yesterday.

In essence, if you've been offered a refund by Tesla, you've suffered no loss and therefore have no case.

Also, given the likelihood it was party policy it becomes very difficult to challenge at pretty much any level, including the MTO though it would be great to see.

I've also written to Catherine McKenna on numerous occasions but no responses. Tried various tactics for a response but nothing.

Given all the PC sentiment out there, I bet Scheer wins in fall 2019 which pretty much kills any hopes of energy incentives given he called the Liberal carbon pricing plan a "cash grab". BTW, he also voted against a bill to protect rights for transgender Canadians and M-103, a motion to condemn Islamophobia.

So unless the liberals introduce something soon, it's not looking good for EV ownership in Ontario over the next 5 years unless you drive high km's or want to make a statement/personal choice regardless of economics.

Some feel the magic $100/kWh battery cost threshold will be here in a couple of years but I'm not so sure. Maybe at the manufacturer level but not the consumer so hard to tell how much of the savings will be passed on. Regardless, surely EV's will be cost competitive in 5 years so there may never be an incentive ever again.

If the liberals do introduce something before the fall 2019 election, the lesson learned here is to buy well in advance!

@felixculpas sorry - could you message me privately? Or email me at kjsevans(@)gmail.com - I'm looking to get the names of people who spoke directly with @fordnation about the rebate.

Here's what I just emailed the Environment Minister:

Subject: EV rebate: when will the Liberal government step in with its own, progressive EV incentive

Hi Ms. McKenna,

I live in your riding in Ottawa Centre. I want to buy an electric car (EV) to reduce my carbon footprint. The Ford government has just cancelled its EHVIP program. This affects if I can make the switch from fossil fuel burning vehicle to a clean EV. You have said that such a policy would put $420 million of federal funding at risk.

I'm writing to ask you if and when the federal government will step in and do what's right for the environment and support a federal EV rebate program to incentivize people like myself to buy electric cars and contribute to Canada's GHGE targets. You could use this $420 million as one source of funds for what would be a popular and important initiative. Not to mention, this would offset some of the Liberal government's contradictory focus on pipelines and fossil fuel projects.

Please let me know what you plan to do.

Thank you,

Did you - or, for that matter, has anyone - gotten a response from Ms. McKenna?

If I were McKenna got that letter asking for help then slamming me and my government with criticism I'd throw it right in the bin! Honey and vinegar, my friend - didn't you ever learn that lesson? Wow

Reactions: adaptabl
Honey and vinegar, my friend - didn't you ever learn that lesson? Wow

Honey is the answer? We're dealing with big oil, high powered lobbyists and power brokers. No amount of sweetness will bring in an EV rebate when they've got Trudeau bought and paid for, and tucked deep in their back pocket.

So I'd rather call it like it is and give them more vinegar than the piddly amount in that letter, which is much too nice and reasonable for me. It should chew them out more, point out what a total hypocrite Trudeau and his gov't is for giving $3.3bn subsidies to fossil fuel producers despite climate pledge while giving us the Salmon Arm Salute. Well, at least his father was a thinker when he gave us the finger. His son pats us on the back, says he cares about our children's future, then takes our tax dollars to give to big oil and to build pipelines. So since that letter is likely going in the garbage anyway, while big oil's cheques go into the bank to fund the next campaign, the last thing it should do is be sweet as honey. I'd much rather it be full of p!ss and vinegar!

Don't disagree with any of that. It's just that I constantly hear how battery costs (the most costly component of an EV) are dropping steadily each year, yet the car prices are going in the other direction.
I'd rather not have the double talk about foreign content in their battery and battery costs and the Model S and X being subject to 6% tariffs as justification for it's high cost here, the Canadian model 3 prices with gigafactory batteries are the same percentage costs vs. US Model 3s as a model S
They would rather capture the efficiencies and add to their profit. I applaud any company for making as much money as they can. If I don't like it I don't have to buy it, unless I have to buy it...

Has anyone got a response from the ombudsman? I thought we were going to get an 'official response' last week?

I talked with them yesterday and they just said the same thing as they did last week. They met with reps from MTO and MTO is looking into the situation. They are trying to see if the "excluding Tesla" wording came from them or if it was a directive from cabinet. If it was from cabinet, there is no chance that anything will change. But If you look through this thread, you will see that a lawyer will not attempt a class action suit since Tesla is refunding everyone and I saw at least one person who had contact with their MPP. The MPP said they spoke directly to minister of transportation and minister said there's no way anything will change. I think OMB is just being strung along and trust me, no one is more upset than I am but I'm pretty sure it's over.

I talked with them yesterday and they just said the same thing as they did last week. They met with reps from MTO and MTO is looking into the situation. They are trying to see if the "excluding Tesla" wording came from them or if it was a directive from cabinet. If it was from cabinet, there is no chance that anything will change. But If you look through this thread, you will see that a lawyer will not attempt a class action suit since Tesla is refunding everyone and I saw at least one person who had contact with their MPP. The MPP said they spoke directly to minister of transportation and minister said there's no way anything will change. I think OMB is just being strung along and trust me, no one is more upset than I am but I'm pretty sure it's over.

Since Tesla is offering the $4200 back I can see why a law firm would not take that on. But what about the fact we actually did place an order through a dealer (purchase agreement says Tesla Canada which is a registered dealer) prior to the July 11th cut off? I feel like there is one scenario that require legal insight - people that ordered prior to July 11th AND received the car prior to Sept 10th and then subsequently get denied the rebate even though we technically placed an order through a 'dealer'.

Last edited:
Reactions: sitter_k
Yah, i'm following. But what about the fact we actually did place an order through a dealer (purchase agreement says Tesla Canada which is a registered dealer) prior to the July 11th cut off day? I feel like there are two situations that require legal insight:

1) What you describe above, since Tesla is offering the $4200 back I can see why a law firm would not take that on.
2) People that ordered prior to July 11th AND received the car prior to Sept 10th and then subsequently get denied the rebate even though we technically placed an order through a dealer.

#2 is what I would like to hear back on from the MTO or ombudsman.

So my car arrived last Monday (July 30). I pushed to have my decision making process to as far as it went. That day is today and today I will be telling Tesla that I am cancelling my order. This is painful and I am not happy about it but the reason I am not hopeful to "Did we order through a dealership" is because I feel like this would have been decided already. Tesla would've been all over that and they have been. They were in contact with government bodies right away and this is the way this decision stands. Look I could be totally wrong and I really hope I am for the people that can afford to wait longer.

Since Tesla is offering the $4200 back I can see why a law firm would not take that on. But what about the fact we actually did place an order through a dealer (purchase agreement says Tesla Canada which is a registered dealer) prior to the July 11th cut off? I feel like there is one scenario that require legal insight - people that ordered prior to July 11th AND received the car prior to Sept 10th and then subsequently get denied the rebate even though we technically placed an order through a 'dealer'.

At that point it comes back to the buyer beware risk. Anyone with a 3 order that isn't aware the rebate was taken away really should be doing their homework at this point. Tesla is offering refunds, if you choose to not take it and accept the car I don't think you would have much of a court case. Granted it is more of a grey area, but in my opinion that argument won't go very far.

If you want the car you at least have to come to terms with the fact that the rebate is pretty much gone, and factor that into your finances.

I called the Ombudsman yesterday. I was told that there is an "ongoing dialogue" between them and the Ministry about this issue. My feeling is, if this was simply a decision from the cabinet, then they'd be informed as such and would close their investigations. I shared that theory with the individual with whom I spoke, and he couldn't confirm or deny it. However, the use of the words "ongoing dialogue" at least gives me hopes in that they are talking to one another, and not simply being given the run-around as I suspected they were.

From what the Ombudsman said to me, there are basically three phases in a case like this. The first phase is general inquiry. The second is full-blown investigation. And the third is resolution. They are still in phase one. They are fully aware that there's a very narrow timeframe here, and they're doing all they can, but it is what it is.

I think that, for many of us, we aren't able to approach this as if there's a month left. We have weeks left, maybe as few as one or two, because Tesla could contact us at any time and we may be forced to make a decision without knowing how the Ombudsman case will be resolved.

I called the Ombudsman yesterday. I was told that there is an "ongoing dialogue" between them and the Ministry about this issue. My feeling is, if this was simply a decision from the cabinet, then they'd be informed as such and would close their investigations. I shared that theory with the individual with whom I spoke, and he couldn't confirm or deny it. However, the use of the words "ongoing dialogue" at least gives me hopes in that they are talking to one another, and not simply being given the run-around as I suspected they were.

From what the Ombudsman said to me, there are basically three phases in a case like this. The first phase is general inquiry. The second is full-blown investigation. And the third is resolution. They are still in phase one. They are fully aware that there's a very narrow timeframe here, and they're doing all they can, but it is what it is.

I think that, for many of us, we aren't able to approach this as if there's a month left. We have weeks left, maybe as few as one or two, because Tesla could contact us at any time and we may be forced to make a decision without knowing how the Ombudsman case will be resolved.

Don't be so sure about the decision not coming from cabinet. I also spoke to them yesterday and the reason that they will not say whether it was from cabinet or not is because they don't know and they do not have granted access to the documents needed to determine this.

I thought to check my Tesla account today. Hadn't done so in a week or so. I now have a referral code! I guess I could use that to buy an S or X :) Should I now be on Youtube pimping my code? haha That would be too funny. NON OWNER gets 55 referrals and a roadster!

Perhaps this is the "bone" we'll be thrown but seriously doubt it and more likely just the normal triggering of events that don't always have the proper checks and balances as Tesla being a small car company is often guilty of.

Though you'd think they would have the M3P in there as well since it's eligible.

If I select a Model X, it's definitely taking the code. What's that, a free HPWC? $114,800 + taxes = almost $15k. I'd do it if there were no taxes but otherwise I'm not inclined.

Reactions: jkirkwood001