Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo...I had a wonderful surprise this evening. I originally ordered a LR AWD back in June but eventually cancelled it thanks to FordNation. After hearing the latest breakthrough about people being able to re-order, I called Tesla last week and now I'm a soon-to-be owner of a white LR RWD with Rebate!!! I still can't believe my luck.

Apparently, Tesla rounded up a few inventory cars from around the country (non-demos) with VINs that are included in the rebate. As far as I could see, there were about 15-20 cars on the list (red, midnight grey, black, blue, white). I was lucky enough to get the only white M3 on the list, but there were still quite a few cars remaining.

If anyone from Ontario is still interested in a car, please DM me. I went to the Oakville store and bought mine but I can share some details with you. This is not some weird scam. I don't work for Tesla and I'm not @adaptabl ;). All cars on the list may have been spoken by Thursday morning, but it's worth a shot. I want to give back to this forum since you guys have helped so much since June.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and support over the past 6 months.

Sooo...I had a wonderful surprise this evening. I originally ordered a LR AWD back in June but eventually cancelled it thanks to FordNation. After hearing the latest breakthrough about people being able to re-order, I called Tesla last week and now I'm a soon-to-be owner of a white LR RWD with Rebate!!! I still can't believe my luck.

Apparently, Tesla rounded up a few inventory cars from around the country (non-demos) with VINs that are included in the rebate. As far as I could see, there were about 15-20 cars on the list (red, midnight grey, black, blue, white). I was lucky enough to get the only white M3 on the list, but there were still quite a few cars remaining.

If anyone from Ontario is still interested in a car, please DM me. I went to the Oakville store and bought mine but I can share some details with you. This is not some weird scam. I don't work for Tesla and I'm not @adaptabl ;). All cars on the list may have been spoken by Thursday morning, but it's worth a shot. I want to give back to this forum since you guys have helped so much since June.

Congrats!!!! Just when you thought that all hopes are lost, then finally you get to own one of the most amazing car on the planet!!! That was the feeling I had 2 weeks ago.... :)

Did you have to be a previous cancelled orderer? Or is this possible with those few vins? Many thanks again,

My guess is anyone could buy one of these cars. I was technically ineligible for the recent “cancelled order - rebuy” because my original order was for an AWD

Good luck on that rebate. If your name is not on the list supplied to the government from Tesla you will be rejected for the rebate. Only those who ordered a RW LR and cancelled after the program cancelation date are eligible.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri
Oh yes they can. Just make plate renewals for BEV's the base amount plus the road taxes an average car would pay in fuel taxes. Right now it's about 40 cents per L. Average car at 10L per 100KM driving 20K per year equals about $800.00 /year. Very easy to do and fair to everyone.

In Michigan:
Additional Registration Fees (if applicable):
Beginning in 2017, owners of electric vehicles will pay a $30 to $200 fee (depending on your vehicle) with your renewal.

They pay much lower road taxes on fuel than we do in Ontario. PHEV's pay less and full EV's pay more.

From a "greening" stand point - taking away benefits and leveling off the cost savings of adopting an EV would just push people to continue using fossil fuels. If the government (feds) are serious about preventing catastrophic global climate events in 11 years (that's the newest line in the sand) - punishing BEV buyers makes no sense. The goal is the promote more EV adoption. Until the fleet is converted, they'll have to subsidize road repairs through other means - Tolls, pay per use, TOU, etc.

Reactions: corlaandstan
From a "greening" stand point - taking away benefits and leveling off the cost savings of adopting an EV would just push people to continue using fossil fuels. If the government (feds) are serious about preventing catastrophic global climate events in 11 years (that's the newest line in the sand) - punishing BEV buyers makes no sense. The goal is the promote more EV adoption. Until the fleet is converted, they'll have to subsidize road repairs through other means - Tolls, pay per use, TOU, etc.

I agree that it would be a perverse disincentive to tax BEV/PHEV cars separately - but let's remember that Ford is a perverse individual. As such, I wouldn’t put it past him. Of course, not only would you be disincentivizing the direction in which society would need to move, but you’d also be breaking with the spirit of how the tax is applied. Right now, the more you use the roads, the more you pay since you consume more gas. Of course, efficient vehicles (like hybrids) end up getting a bit of a break - and this makes sense as it incentivizes a move to more fuel efficient vehicles. To then set a flat tax on ultra-efficient vehicles (rather than a proportional tax) would be to break with the spirit of how the tax is being applied for everyone else.

In the end, it’s a perverse incentive to go with a less efficient vehicle and is incongruous with the current program - and thus I think it would be a bad idea. Sounds like something Ford would like.

My guess is anyone could buy one of these cars. I was technically ineligible for the recent “cancelled order - rebuy” because my original order was for an AWD

I just hope that in your altruistic attempt to help others, you aren't setting them up for disappointment if anyone tries this without having previously cancelled. I also hope it doesn't come back and bite you, having cancelled an AWD. This is a PUBLIC forum accessible by anyone.

Your "eligibility" in the end is determined by the ministry, not Tesla. It makes sense that your application will "slide" through along with anyone else with the same set of parameters but I'm not sure I'd be advertising it and I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anyone who hadn't previously cancelled to attempt using one of those VIN's without a huge caveat that they are rolling the dice and in uncharted waters.

I think your signature is against this forum rules. You are not allowed to include your referral link in signatures I believe.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri

I guess I've misread your original message. If you've ordered a LR AWD back in June, then how are you eligible for the rebate? In the verbiage from MTO, it clearly stated that:

If you ordered a vehicle on or before July 11, 2018, cancelled the order on or after July 11, 2018, and now wish to reorder the vehicle, the vehicle you originally ordered will qualify for an incentive as long as it is delivered, registered and plated in your name by January 3, 2019 and it was on the list provided to the Ministry of Transportation by Tesla Canada on September 6, 2018.

But the vehicle you originally ordered isn't eligible for the rebate. Did your DA told you that you are eligible for the rebate?

Reactions: adaptabl
The forms don’t reflect this situation. All we have is Tesla’s email and tweet from MTO.
Hello Everyone,

I just decided to read through the PDF Guide provided by MTO and you can find the official wording for second chance rebate for Tesla's and I have included two screenshots for your reference.

Screenshot 2018-12-16 17.07.09.png
Screenshot 2018-12-16 17.06.35.png

Hope this helps!

Also, love to hear from others that are submitting the rebate as part of the second chance group, are you using the date of re-order (in November) or the original ordering date before you cancelled after July 11th?

I was told by Tesla rep Aaron to use the re-ordering date (which for me is Nov 22nd).

Thanks again everyone!

I've just realized that i have submitted the March 2018 application form.
so will it be ok or should i send a new application with the new Fall 2018 form?
I believe it was only the guide that was revised. The forms remain unchanged.

Also some more clues I found on eligibility in the guide:

upload_2018-12-17_7-34-56.png

Seems that there is indeed some secret Tesla order list for eligible vehicles.