Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have no choice, wife said AWD is a MUST o_O

Same here. She must have AWD.

So I told her We will keep the Mercedes 4Matic with snow tires and not do a trade-in; once winter comes, we can find out how well M3 will perform with snow tires. If it meets your satisfaction, we can sell the Mercedes.

The only thing I loss is the HST credit. It let me do either one of these

1/ Sell M3
2/ Sell Mercedes
3/ Keep both.

What can u do, can never argue with the Boss.

So I told her We will keep the Mercedes 4Matic with snow tires and not do a trade-in; once winter comes, we can find out how well M3 will perform with snow tires. If it meets your satisfaction, we can sell the Mercedes.

The only thing I loss is the HST credit. It let me do either one of these

1/ Sell M3
2/ Sell Mercedes
3/ Keep both.

What can u do, can never argue with the Boss.

Not sure you will really "lose" the HST credit since I've heard that Tesla's trade in values are abysmally low. You're probably better off selling privately - you'll likely get at least as much as Tesla's trade-in quote + HST going this route.

I find this obsession with AWD kinda funny, but at the same time get the whole "happy wife, happy life" thing.

I drove my RWD Model S for 5 years including daily from the GTA to the Waterloo Region for work, to Bruce County and Muskoka a lot and every Christmas to Chicago. Never once was I in a situation where I though AWD could have helped. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is a proper set of winter tires... and AWD ain't no excuse to not get them!

I find this obsession with AWD kinda funny, but at the same time get the whole "happy wife, happy life" thing.

I drove my RWD Model S for 5 years including daily from the GTA to the Waterloo Region for work, to Bruce County and Muskoka a lot and every Christmas to Chicago. Never once was I in a situation where I though AWD could have helped. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is a proper set of winter tires... and AWD ain't no excuse to not get them!

"Happy wife, Happy Life"

I know that long long time ago. That is why I'm a happy guy, life is so good when your boss is happy and smiling.

Not to get mired in the entire AWD vs RWD debate etc. It is as much personal preference as anything else. However, having said that, in Toronto there is a hill that runs alongside Casa Loma. Every winter, at least once or twice, that hill gets bogged down with ice, snow and slush and is a veritable parking lot of cars trying to get up in the evening at the end of the work day.
I have been on that hill with front wheel drive and a full set of winter tires and I have been on the hill with RWD and a full set of winter tires, and I have been on that hill with AWD and winter tires. RWD and winter tires- not getting up. FWD and winter tires, it was not easy, but made it up. (I grew up in Montreal and have lots of experience driving in snow). AWD and winter tires, and it was a walk in the park.
Is AWD necessary? Maybe not - does it make getting up steep inclines easier and less troublesome than RWD (with the same set of winter tires) - 100% yes. Is it "worth" the extra expense for the 1 or times a winter you need to get up a hill? Only "you" can answer that question.

Not to get mired in the entire AWD vs RWD debate etc. It is as much personal preference as anything else. However, having said that, in Toronto there is a hill that runs alongside Casa Loma. Every winter, at least once or twice, that hill gets bogged down with ice, snow and slush and is a veritable parking lot of cars trying to get up in the evening at the end of the work day.
I have been on that hill with front wheel drive and a full set of winter tires and I have been on the hill with RWD and a full set of winter tires, and I have been on that hill with AWD and winter tires. RWD and winter tires- not getting up. FWD and winter tires, it was not easy, but made it up. (I grew up in Montreal and have lots of experience driving in snow). AWD and winter tires, and it was a walk in the park.
Is AWD necessary? Maybe not - does it make getting up steep inclines easier and less troublesome than RWD (with the same set of winter tires) - 100% yes. Is it "worth" the extra expense for the 1 or times a winter you need to get up a hill? Only "you" can answer that question.

I can also relate to that, there is a steep hill from Brampton to Georgetown. Last winter, when there was a heavy snow and the hill is all iced up, lots of cars stuck there; I drove my Mercedes 4Matic with snow tires; it was just a walk in the park, no issue whatsoever, good handling and everything as if the ice is not there, didn't even slip a bit.

How often do I have to do that, may be once every couple of years.. Well, if I am driving M3 with RWD, just don't go there :)

RWD and winter tires- not getting up. FWD and winter tires, it was not easy, but made it up. (I grew up in Montreal and have lots of experience driving in snow). AWD and winter tires, and it was a walk in the park.

While I agree that AWD will help you climb a hill more than a 2 wheel drive car, I heard that the FWD vs RWD is a moot point in a Tesla.

In a normal RWD car, you've got all your weight up front where the engine is and then all your power in the back, this screws up your traction. Thats why FWD cars are superior, you've got the weight on the moving wheels.

In a Tesla, all the weight is in the battery and it is evenly distributed from front to back, so RWD isn't really an issue. Another reason why a Tesla is better than a traditional ICE car.

I can also relate to that, there is a steep hill from Brampton to Georgetown. Last winter, when there was a heavy snow and the hill is all iced up, lots of cars stuck there; I drove my Mercedes 4Matic with snow tires; it was just a walk in the park, no issue whatsoever, good handling and everything as if the ice is not there, didn't even slip a bit.

How often do I have to do that, may be once every couple of years.. Well, if I am driving M3 with RWD, just don't go there :)
Ben,
I know this hill. When I was a kid I lost my brakes on a 10-speed, half way down.
I’m looking forward to trying that ascent this winter with my M3 RWD with snow tires.

Reactions: noicepls
It's all about the snow tires and while this video isn't a perfect example, it serves to illustrate the importance of good winter tires.

Youtube of a Tesla Model X vs Hummer H2 on a 30° grade hill with snow and ice. It seems like Tesla with less weight and studless tires did it better than the heavier Hummer with studded tires.

Slap some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's on and I think you'll be fine on that hill with a RWD M3. I've used them on a FWD SUV for 6 winters in SW Ontario with no issues. Great for stopping as well. I'll be getting another set for the M3.

It's all about the snow tires and while this video isn't a perfect example, it serves to illustrate the importance of good winter tires.

Youtube of a Tesla Model X vs Hummer H2 on a 30° grade hill with snow and ice. It seems like Tesla with less weight and studless tires did it better than the heavier Hummer with studded tires.

Slap some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's on and I think you'll be fine on that hill with a RWD M3. I've used them on a FWD SUV for 6 winters in SW Ontario with no issues. Great for stopping as well. I'll be getting another set for the M3.

hmm, not a very convincing example, that was Model X P90D, Dual Motor + Snow Tire.

screenshot from video:
P90D.PNG

That guy has way too much time on his hands lol. Ah winter in northern Norway...

Could you understand what tires he was using? He said they were the same as the R2's, but half the price, but couldn't understand what he was saying.

I ordered mine yesterday, I'm not clear why anyone is worried about not getting the rebate. It's clearly on the Ontario government website and says nothing about when it will be over. Just because the moronic Doug Ford wants to cancel it doesn't mean they can penalize people that have already placed orders. That's basically like bait and switch so I would love to see how they can legally deny someone the rebate when they placed their orders while the program was fully active. As far as I'm concerned they will have to honor it up until the day they actually announce it is terminated.

Unless you have a VIN assigned, they can cancel the program, and you’re out of luck. Without a VIN, you can’t file for the rebate.

Just having an order doesn’t mean anything.

Reactions: adaptabl
I believe the tires he referred to were from Megahjul.

I doubt you'd be able to source them in Ontario though.

Correction...it was a 30% or 17° grade.

Using chill mode and lowering tire pressure would probably also have helped. Perhaps also changing suspension settings.

As mentioned, it's not a perfect example obviously but interesting nonetheless for those going the RWD route in northern winter climates.

The H2 would have performed better with studded winter tires and a better driver. There was ice below the snow so it did have some opportunity to bite in. It's not an apples - apples comparison but demonstrates that with a good winter tire, the M3 RWD can perform very well in winter conditions. If you search model 3 snow on youtube you will see plenty of video on the topic.

Slap some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's on and I think you'll be fine on that hill with a RWD M3.

Yeah, the Hakka R2's are great tires (that's what I used on my Model S). And a lot of the AWD examples are of ICE vehicles... the Tesla with it's heavy, low battery and even weight distribution is generally much better. But sure, AWD can make a vehicle more capable in certain situations. It's just that a lot of advertising would have you believe is makes the care "safer" which I don't accept.

I ordered mine yesterday, I'm not clear why anyone is worried about not getting the rebate. It's clearly on the Ontario government website and says nothing about when it will be over. Just because the moronic Doug Ford wants to cancel it doesn't mean they can penalize people that have already placed orders. That's basically like bait and switch so I would love to see how they can legally deny someone the rebate when they placed their orders while the program was fully active. As far as I'm concerned they will have to honor it up until the day they actually announce it is terminated.

Yes they can. I suspect it will be cancelled retroactively. If you don't have a cheque in your hand don't count on it.

I think it was something I saw that was copied into a redflagdeals thread that is extremely long. I don't hang out there, just happened upon it through searching. Can't find it again (I don't save my search history) but I had done a capture of it FWIW. Hopefully legit.

View attachment 313980

Beautiful! Thanks!

...now let’s hope that he doesn’t renege on this or put in place an unreasonable deadline!