Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toronto Star:

Meanwhile, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said the government is sticking to its plan to end taxpayer subsidies for electric and hybrid cars despite complaints from motorists who have paid deposits on Tesla models that won’t be delivered until after the deadline.

The incentives of up to $14,000 will still be paid on eligible vehicles that have been delivered to buyers, registered and plated by July 11.

For motorists who agreed to buy vehicles on dealer lots or ordered vehicles before July 11, the subsidies will be paid only if the cars are delivered, registered and plated by Sept. 10.

“We extended it to Sept. 10 so that people would have an ample amount of time,” Yakabuski told the Star.

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”

Last I checked Tesla shops and service stations also employed Canadian workers.

Damn.

Toronto Star:

Meanwhile, Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said the government is sticking to its plan to end taxpayer subsidies for electric and hybrid cars despite complaints from motorists who have paid deposits on Tesla models that won’t be delivered until after the deadline.

The incentives of up to $14,000 will still be paid on eligible vehicles that have been delivered to buyers, registered and plated by July 11.

For motorists who agreed to buy vehicles on dealer lots or ordered vehicles before July 11, the subsidies will be paid only if the cars are delivered, registered and plated by Sept. 10.

“We extended it to Sept. 10 so that people would have an ample amount of time,” Yakabuski told the Star.

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”
Right. Cause no one works at Tesla in Ontario.

Just woke up thinking Musk is a brilliant man who is years ahead of the game. I'm going to put my trust in him that he will come up with something and we will get that rebate or be happy in another manner. Not giving up hope

The hopes Elon will jump in, while optimistic, I think are unrealistic. Elon tends to respond to posters who have something strategic to add to his mission, such as product features, global warming, or production opportunities. The exception was avoiding the 200,000th Tesla until after a financial quarter, for US buyers, his most important market. There's not really anything in it for Tesla to spend effort to save dollars for a few Ontarians (and none for Tesla) in a marginal market. It would be nice, but I don't see Elon spending much "political capital" on us. And he's got bigger problems to deal with - ramping production, lawsuits, growth in China, etc.

This is a different/similar situation in Germany. I know many differences to our current situation but it does show Tesla fighting for fair incentives for its customers.

I’m like many here, hopeful something can be resolved but likely to have to cancel order if nothing comes along. I feel a federal incentive could happen and would be a shame to invest in car “in between” incentives even though I’ve fallen in love with Tesla

Maybe if Tesla could do the following.

1. 1% interest rate
2. 25% off LR
3. 25% off PUP
4 25% off EAP

I did not go with EAP due to affordability. But this would allow most buyers a way to afford the vehicle.

Just my thoughts

Kev

As I posted previously, nice idea, but would that be fair to anyone who had paid for one of more of those features? And if they "paid" those Ontario buyers off, what would buyers elsewhere than Ontario and in the US think? "Hey! That's not fair!" And at least the LR costs Tesla money, which they don't have a surplus of.

Reactions: adaptabl
Been watching this thread very closely. Ordered the RWD (no extra options) on June 27 with a projected delivery of August/September. I'm mystified by what the PC government has done to this 'orderly wind down' of the rebate program. Not really thinking the rebate is coming my why but I've emailed all concerning parties. I'm pissed but I can only imagine some M3 owners that received outside of July 11 by a few days or some people who changed colours and the car arrived later than its original date of delivery--that's a 14K decision that would replay in my head for a long time!

I’m curious what the numbers are going to look like for Tesla in terms of how many will cancel and how many will continue with the order. I’ve struggled with the decision of the extra 14K and began to look at other cars in the same price range. Gotta say that so far nothing has caught my attention! Anyhow I guess time will tell how this all works out but have to say this forum has been extraordinary in keeping me informed. Thank u to all the members and good luck to all!

This is a different/similar situation in Germany. I know many differences to our current situation but it does show Tesla fighting for fair incentives for its customers.

Tesla buyers are asked to pay back €4,000 EV incentive in Germany, Tesla says it will cover cost and fight decision

I’m like many here, hopeful something can be resolved but likely to have to cancel order if nothing comes along. I feel a federal incentive could happen and would be a shame to invest in car “in between” incentives even though I’ve fallen in love with Tesla

I switched my Model 3 AWD/LR/PUP for a base Model X. I was able to transfer my reservation/order deposit as well if anyone else was thinking about doing this.

I also spoke to Tesla a few weeks ago about "options" and this was also tossed about as being a probable though at the time the thinking was that I'd be locked in to my deposit so they weren't guaranteeing me but it sounded likely. Now that things have changed and refunds are available I'm sure they are more than happy to keep everyone in the Tesla family...though it would be nice to get a final statement in regards to whether they are willing to do anything for those affected by this. I think Elon does follow this saga being part Canadian. EAP doesn't really cost him a cent. That would be an awesome gesture but doesn't look like anything's going to happen. The more of his vehicles that are in the province, the more people will sit up and take notice.

Then at least we know exactly where we stand and can make informed decisions which is all that was ever required from the outset.

If nothing is forthcoming from Tesla, I will be assessing my finances in the spring of 2019. If a base Model X isn't feasible, going with LR AWD PUP EAP. My rationale with the X would be that eventually we'd pare down to 1 vehicle and it would serve all our needs. Luckily for us, our current vehicles will serve us fine for the meantime.

I think the feds should be pressured into at least informing the public of where they stand on stepping in with an incentive of their own so people can make informed decisions.

Reactions: BKR1986
I also spoke to Tesla a few weeks ago about "options" and this was also tossed about as being a probable though at the time the thinking was that I'd be locked in to my deposit so they weren't guaranteeing me but it sounded likely. Now that things have changed and refunds are available I'm sure they are more than happy to keep everyone in the Tesla family...though it would be nice to get a final statement in regards to whether they are willing to do anything for those affected by this. I think Elon does follow this saga being part Canadian. EAP doesn't really cost him a cent. That would be an awesome gesture but doesn't look like anything's going to happen. The more of his vehicles that are in the province, the more people will sit up and take notice.

Then at least we know exactly where we stand and can make informed decisions which is all that was ever required from the outset.

If nothing is forthcoming from Tesla, I will be assessing my finances in the spring of 2019. If a base Model X isn't feasible, going with LR AWD PUP EAP. My rationale with the X would be that eventually we'd pare down to 1 vehicle and it would serve all our needs. Luckily for us, our current vehicles will serve us fine for the meantime.

I think the feds should be pressured into at least informing the public of where they stand on stepping in with an incentive of their own so people can make informed decisions.

As much as I hate to say it, the federal gov saying where they stand in relation to a national program so that we can make informed decisions actually runs counter to the spirit of the incentive.

An incentive exists to incentivize those who would not otherwise buy the product; if you’ll buy it either way then you don’t need the incentive. If they tipped their hand then people who would have otherwise bought it on their own will wait to take advantage of the incentive when it’s unveiled.

Reactions: jkirkwood001

The “in between” aspect is what is troubling me. I do want a Model 3 but it would be tough to swallow missing EHVIP and also missing any new incentives potentially coming down the pipe.

As much as I hate to say it, the federal gov saying where they stand in relation to a national program so that we can make informed decisions actually runs counter to the spirit of the incentive.

An incentive exists to incentivize those who would not otherwise buy the product; if you’ll buy it either way then you don’t need the incentive. If they tipped their hand then people who would have otherwise bought it on their own will wait to take advantage of the incentive when it’s unveiled.

True, but if they know they aren't going to do anything it would be handy to know asap. No harm in broadcasting that apart from some bad news stories but at least it's out of the way then as opposed to it becoming a thorn during an election year.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
I'm sad that the Ontario government details the model of the cars in the inventive list (Model 3, Long Range + RWD) and Quebec just says "2018 Tesla Model 3". Even though the ONGov don't plan on giving rebates to LR+RWD, it would've been nice to dream that my LR+AWD may have been covered.

upload_2018-7-17_21-29-35.png

Reference: Eligible vehicles

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Right. Cause no one works at Tesla in Ontario.

Apparently not, as they work for Tesla so maybe they don’t count? How many supercharges are in Ontario and how many are being installed? I guess the work provided to the contractors that install them don’t count either.

I’m sorry but what utter and complete BS. This line of protecting dealerships is political back talk. Seriously, as if dealers don’t have a network to swap cars, they can send them to QB if they have too, or ultimately they’d sell them. Again, why is there ZERO discussion about the people involved, just the companies. This is our government folks and it doesn’t give about you. Pay you taxes and shut up apparently. Sorry I was annoyed before, but now I’m livid. I’ll be making some angry phone calls tomorrow.

Tesla Ontario is a registered dealer.
Would buying an inventory vehicle ordered by Tesla before July 11 make it eligable? If so, Tesla should cancel all Ontario orders before July 11 and make them all demo cars, and then send a special invite to people to buy those as a dealership demo/inventory.

This is assuming there is a way to say that Tesla the dealer have orders those cars from Tesla the mfg before July 11th. Perhaps until a vehicle is transferred to the owner, it is the property of the dealer.

True, but if they know they aren't going to do anything it would be handy to know asap. No harm in broadcasting that apart from some bad news stories but at least it's out of the way then as opposed to it becoming a thorn during an election year.
Well, given the challenges with NAFTA and tariffs, I don’t think we’ll be seeing anything out of Ottawa unless those other issues are resolved. Maybe if the Dems take the House in the mid-terms. Even then, the general climate might not be conducive to pushing an EV rebate program - 5 provinces already are in rebellion against Ottawa over the carbon tax. A new program would not go over well and would seem like frivolous spending. Still, one can hope...

Reactions: BKR1986
Tesla Ontario is a registered dealer.
Would buying an inventory vehicle ordered by Tesla before July 11 make it eligable? If so, Tesla should cancel all Ontario orders before July 11 and make them all demo cars, and then send a special invite to people to buy those as a dealership demo/inventory.

This is assuming there is a way to say that Tesla the dealer have orders those cars from Tesla the mfg before July 11th. Perhaps until a vehicle is transferred to the owner, it is the property of the dealer.
Guys - Tesla is aware of this angle and has legions of lawyers on their payroll. If this was feasible it would have been done.