Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was worth a shot writing to Consumer Ontario as they regulate the Consumers Protection Act. I've drafted a message below but it has to be sent through their website (https://www.ontario.ca/feedback/contact-us?id=26911&nid=101484). Feel free to copy and paste and forward it them.

Recently the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) cancelled the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program. I am writing this email as a consumer to file a complaint against the Ministry of Transportation because in the MANNER in which it is being cancelled. I believe it discriminates against a group of buyers and gives no consideration to the consumer i.e. Tesla Model 3 purchasers. A number of consumers placed a deposit on the Tesla Model 3 car because of an approved rebate on the Ministry’s website BEFORE it was cancelled. In addition, the public was assured by Doug Ford the wind down of the program would be conducted in an orderly fashion.

As per MTO’s announcement below, please note Tesla is the only company impacted because the MTO considers them to be a manufacturer even though they are a registered dealer in Ontario. It is ironic that the government of Ontario provides protection to consumers of Ontario but the government of Ontario violated the Consumers Protection Act!

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as orders are placed directly with Tesla (the manufacturer), especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. I placed the order of this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. I now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that I can no longer afford.

As a consumer, I am requesting that Consumers Ontario look into this matter and request I be provided the same consideration as every other purchaser of an electrical vehicle under the rebate program (those who did not purchase a Tesla) and that the Ministry of Transportation honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, only consumers who bought the Model 3 are being impacted.

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely
Thanks, awesome idea. I’ve sent them an email as well.

Reactions: RossK
I can't seem to search for CPO in Quebec on the tesla website. If I input the postal code for Montreal for example it says it is invalid, which I previously thought meant there were no cpos available for sale there.

Are you referring to listings on auto trader?

Also, does a CPO from tesla come with a new warranty (ie, an additional 80k km on top of whatever it was bought with) or is it just the extension of the original warranty to the new buyer?

For example, there is a 2014 with 30k km. If it was purchased CPO in 2018, is it covered until 2022 and 130k km?

Yep. Autotrader.

But if you’re buying from a dealership and you’re within the 4 year warranty, I believe you can still purchase the extended warranty. You’ll have to look it up on Tesla’s website to be sure.

If I have $650 to spend on a vehicle payment each month then I can only afford the $50,000 car, no matter what brand it is. At that point I don’t care about range or manufacturer or anything, I just want the best car that I can afford. The $65,000 car costs $850 a month and I don’t have that in my budget to spend (yes I know save on gas maintenance blah blah)

I would like an all electric car because it’s the right thing to do and I believe cars like the Tesla Model 3 are the future. But if it’s not in the current budget then I will wait!
If you’ve got a 30 km commute, you’ll save that $200 in monthly payments just on the gas savings.
I have a round trip commute of 60km per day. My per month costs are $60 in power vs $400 in gas that I used to spend.
Just FYI.

Reactions: T3l5aFan
If I have $650 to spend on a vehicle payment each month then I can only afford the $50,000 car, no matter what brand it is. At that point I don’t care about range or manufacturer or anything, I just want the best car that I can afford. The $65,000 car costs $850 a month and I don’t have that in my budget to spend (yes I know save on gas maintenance blah blah)

I would like an all electric car because it’s the right thing to do and I believe cars like the Tesla Model 3 are the future. But if it’s not in the current budget then I will wait!

Sounds like either a leaf, bolt or even a volt would be good options for you then. There are other advantages to getting an EV other than financial. Like they are (in some respects) more fun to drive, but also if you charge at home you'll quickly realize how great it is not having to visit gas stations anymore :)

Reactions: NoBeard
I thought it was worth a shot writing to Consumer Ontario as they regulate the Consumers Protection Act. I've drafted a message below but it has to be sent through their website (https://www.ontario.ca/feedback/contact-us?id=26911&nid=101484). Feel free to copy and paste and forward it them.

Recently the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) cancelled the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program. I am writing this email as a consumer to file a complaint against the Ministry of Transportation because in the MANNER in which it is being cancelled. I believe it discriminates against a group of buyers and gives no consideration to the consumer i.e. Tesla Model 3 purchasers. A number of consumers placed a deposit on the Tesla Model 3 car because of an approved rebate on the Ministry’s website BEFORE it was cancelled. In addition, the public was assured by Doug Ford the wind down of the program would be conducted in an orderly fashion.

As per MTO’s announcement below, please note Tesla is the only company impacted because the MTO considers them to be a manufacturer even though they are a registered dealer in Ontario. It is ironic that the government of Ontario provides protection to consumers of Ontario but the government of Ontario violated the Consumers Protection Act!

On July 11th, Premier Ford’s team announced the immediate cancellation of the program. The only way to still qualify for the rebate would be if one satisfied one of the following two conditions:

• Eligible vehicles that have been delivered to consumers, registered, and plated on or before July 11 will receive the incentive.
  • Inventory that dealers have on lots or orders made by dealerships with manufacturers on or before July 11, will also be honoured for the incentive provided that the vehicle is delivered to consumers, registered, and plated by September 10.
I believe this was done specifically to target Tesla buyers as orders are placed directly with Tesla (the manufacturer), especially as Premier Ford has referred to Tesla owners as ‘downtown liberals’ and ‘millionaires’. This is simply not true. The only Tesla that is currently on the list of approved vehicles (i.e. the Model 3) is aimed at middle class Ontarians. After the rebate, gas savings, and savings on maintenance, the pricing of the Model 3 is in-line with non-luxury brands, such as Honda, Toyota, and GM. For most of us, the rebate is the difference between affordability and non-affordability. I placed the order of this car in good faith, placing a $4,200 non-refundable deposit. I now face a no-win scenario; either cancel our orders and lose $4,200, or commit to buying a car that I can no longer afford.

As a consumer, I am requesting that Consumers Ontario look into this matter and request I be provided the same consideration as every other purchaser of an electrical vehicle under the rebate program (those who did not purchase a Tesla) and that the Ministry of Transportation honour those orders that were placed prior to July 11th providing the vehicle is delivered, registered, and plated by September 10th. As it stands, only consumers who bought the Model 3 are being impacted.

Sincerely

Sent ....

Reactions: Chanrhc

Sincerely

Did you mean to say the electric vehicle CHARGING program? It reads as though you’re talking about EHVIP....

In any event - I changed it and sent it. I guess it’d be rather hypocritical of me not to, since I authored most of it :p

Good idea sending an email to them too!

In a way, this situation reminds me of a phone company that recently earned a lot of customers by offering a low monthly rate along with a promise that they will not increase the price. As soon as they got a lot of customers to switch over carriers, they raised the price. There was such an uproar that they were forced to revert to the original price.
People also reached out to Consumer Ontario but I just don't think we have the numbers to make an impact.

I almost feel guilty getting it so quickly. It was originally August time frame according to the SA, then 2 days ago it was by the end of the week. I’m guessing it was a cancellation.
Don’t feel guilty! That’s just the name of the game. We’ll all get ours soon enough. Especially if others are cancelling. Hoping to get mine sooner rather than later - as others have suggested, the longer I wait, the more time I have to come to my senses and cancel this order without the rebate lol

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck

Sincerely
Done. Thank you for drafting

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Sounds like either a leaf, bolt or even a volt would be good options for you then. There are other advantages to getting an EV other than financial. Like they are (in some respects) more fun to drive, but also if you charge at home you'll quickly realize how great it is not having to visit gas stations anymore :)

Those are toys not practical vehicles, if you can’t drive from Toronto to Ottawa on a full charge then you aren’t competing with every ICE vehicle on the market. Those vehicles are meant to get you to work and back and charge every night, to me anything less then 425-450 in range would really make me question the practicality of the car.

I was really looking forward to the gas savings and the enjoyment of driving a Tesla, just not sure I can pull the trigger at 65K.

Reservation was 29 June, ordered 3 July.

RWD, Solid Black, Sport wheels, EAP. Went a lot faster than I expected. Like I said in an earlier post, I’m wondering if I got a cancellation of something. The VIN is in the 31000’s, but no idea if that’s around what’s being given right now or what.

Still no AWDs being shipped that I know of. Later orderers picking RWD are still priority / coming off GA2. The only GA3 cars we know of are the 100 Performance models going to showrooms, right?

Those are toys not practical vehicles, if you can’t drive from Toronto to Ottawa on a full charge then you aren’t competing with every ICE vehicle on the market. Those vehicles are meant to get you to work and back and charge every night, to me anything less then 425-450 in range would really make me question the practicality of the car.

I was really looking forward to the gas savings and the enjoyment of driving a Tesla, just not sure I can pull the trigger at 65K.

For the majority of urban commuters, 200km battery pack is more than enough. You're right of course for people who need the extended range for work / travel. That's where the premium battery upgrade has the advantage. Tesla or any sensible car company can and should at some point make a Model C or Model U - for urban drivers who really just want a commuter car. That would be the car for the masses as majority of the world's population live and work within a 50km radius.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric