Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said, on the fence. I know the driving aspect will be excellent. The build quality means that the depreciation will likely be very high (I pretty much will assume the car will probably be close to $0 after 5 yrs)... that means the present value should be much less than they're asking.

What specific build issues are you talking about that would drive a car to $0? That's ridiculous.

I have had my M3 since June 10, 2018 (Toronto). 5,000 kms and no build issues.

I agree with others, you have already decided and convincing yourself why you are backing out.

Good luck,

Vin

Tesla or any sensible car company can and should at some point make a Model C or Model U - for urban drivers who really just want a commuter car. That would be the car for the masses as majority of the world's population live and work within a 50km radius.

Um, this, pretty easy to live with at $150/mo ! :

26622.jpg

I went to Tesla Oakville today to ask a few questions regarding our situation:

I was concerned about not being able to get my deposit back if I have been assigned a VIN.

They told me that Tesla would give the deposit back. I am assuming as long as you cancel within a couple of days after.

I also asked if they have received any direction or status update from Tesla head office. They told me nothing as of yet. Head office is still working on the issue. They will give some sort of status update to inform the customers who have orders in place.

They told me to wait a few more days if I could. I said as long as I can get my deposit back No Problem. They gave me a number to call If i needed to cancel.

Side note: Tesla depreciation values have historically been very low compared to any in its class.
I have driven this vehicle a few times and Yes it is a game changer of a vehicle at the CN $50,000 mark.

I was essentially told this exactly...

Not sure, but someone had mentioned above that they were told they could only cancel if they don't have a VIN assigned yet. I was told that they were sent a memo last Friday stating that they are to allow all Ontario cancellations, even if a VIN has been assigned.

This sucks. I'm under the impression that we qualify for the rebate given our order is in mid transaction and happened before July 11. I already have the stupid Tesla wall charger sitting at home, I just did not install it yet. $14,000 is HUGE. Anyone call the EV number to verify?

I'm going to give them a call and see, otherwise if they don't I will most likely cancel, so unfair though!

I see you're a new member. The unfair EHVIP cancellation policy is what we've been discussing for the last ~50 pages or so in this forum thread. We've explored many avenues to protest the Tesla discrimination by the Ford government. Join the fight! Please voice your concerns to your local MPP, media outlets, MTO, Premier's Office, Tesla, etc. Unfortunately, despite our great efforts to date, we have not been able to get our orders qualified... yet.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Sounds about right. I think the only way you guys will see some kind of incentive is if it comes from Tesla directly. If enough people cancel their orders, Tesla may realize they need to do something if they'd like to salvage some orders.

They have hundreds of thousands of reservations of cars they can sell at full price. There's no way they'll reduce the price for one province. They are a business and they have to be profitable.

They have hundreds of thousands of reservations of cars they can sell at full price. There's no way they'll reduce the price for one province. They are a business and they have to be profitable.
I'm not asking you guys get a price reduction or that Tesla sells the vehicle at a loss. Maybe just throw in a free Enhanced Autopilot + free Full Self-Driving Capability as an incentive to keep your order. I don't think it would cost Tesla very much to just turn on a couple software features.
Yes, that's not fair to the people who got the rebate and paid for autopilot, but they got the rebate, which essentially made those features free anyways.

I'm not asking you guys get a price reduction or that Tesla sells the vehicle at a loss. Maybe just throw in a free Enhanced Autopilot + free Full Self-Driving Capability as an incentive to keep your order. I don't think it would cost Tesla very much to just turn on a couple software features.
Yes, that's not fair to the people who got the rebate and paid for autopilot, but they got the rebate, which essentially made those features free anyways.
Giving free addons still doesn't make it affordable to me. I gave up EAP to lower my cost. So free add-ons doesn't put me in the budget i need to be in. May work for some but not me.

Rossk- you should just be patient and wait for the SR when available. Hopefully the Federal Gov't will have something in place. Maybe GST plus 4-5 thousands to be reported on tax returns.:)

Reactions: SmartElectric
By that logic I should have gotten a bonus because my province doesn’t have a rebate at all.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING DONE BY TESLA. The ONLY reason Tesla would have to give freebies like that is if they screwed up. Tesla didn’t, this is ALL down to the bonehead elected who caused the whole issue. Go badger HIM if you want a freebie.

By that logic I should have gotten a bonus because my province doesn’t have a rebate at all.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING DONE BY TESLA. The ONLY reason Tesla would have to give freebies like that is if they screwed up. Tesla didn’t, this is ALL down to the bonehead elected who caused the whole issue. Go badger HIM if you want a freebie.
I agree,

But Tesla should not put in, while go through the order configuration, the savings amount for buying the car due to Rebate and gas savings. (If i remember correctly) They should remove themselves from all marketing which includes incentives. They should just have a Note: please contact your government to see if there are any rebates or incentives for purchasing a green vehicle.

They have used the Ontario $14000 to help with sales. This is wrong and misleading as well.

Now, I did do my due diligence and realized that this rebate is not from Tesla but the Government of Ontario. The onus is on me to file for the rebate. Some people may have not of done their due diligence. Hence Tesla has some responsibility here.

But I will not hold it against them. I will wait for SR Base before i purchase another ICE. Done with ICE manufacturers, Dealers who rip you off when bringing car in for maintenance. (Commissions for Mechanics). done with Gas and Oil. Done with Provincial PC and Federal PC parties.

Big rant Sorry

I don't think anyone is saying Tesla HAS to do anything, just the spirit of some of the messaging is in regards (for me at least) to knowing that Elon is a feisty character and wouldn't it be awesome if he used this as a way of getting back at Ford who may have been influenced by Tesla's competitors. I had no expectations this was a realistic request and so have no disappointment that nothing's been done.

Even if it was a small incentive that was of no real cost to Tesla, I'm sure the fallout wouldn't be worth the ensuing pain given how many support calls it would probably induce. The FUDders would be all over it.

Clock is ticking on whether the feds will announce anything. I have a feeling they have been waiting to see what Ford's next steps are and he's definitely played a few cards today. What a mess. This is about the big players / payers influencing Ford to do what they want. I'll bet the feds do nothing till they get the carbon tax issue sorted out and possibly dealt with legally. By then, we'll be into a federal election. Trudeau seems to be in a very difficult situation.

Just remember...if Trudeau initiates an EV incentive prior to the election, be prepared to jump all over it immediately so you don't end up repeating this fiasco if the PC's get elected.