Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, do the terms of the Ontario rebate still apply after the program is cancelled? Do those of us who got the rebate still have to keep the car for a year? Will there be any program staff around to check?

That's a really good question actually....one would think they could check on something like this electronically with minimal staff. They would just need to do a search on July 11 2019 for any VINS that had been sold, then issue a letter. So it wouldn't really require much staff to implement....but I assume they may not even think to check this (so delete these posts so they dont get any smart ideas! :) )

So... MPPs called/emailed, petition signed, journalists had their field day, rallies in Queen's Park. What's the consensus? What else can we do? We shouldn't give up this fight. It's $14K and for some, this car is simply not a reality without the incentive.

I admit to losing hope here. If something was going to change, I really think last week was when it would've happened. Unfortunately, despite our efforts, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about anything developing at this point. I can only point to Tesla itself for potentially providing some goodwill assistance that they are not obligated to. Even there, I think last week would've been the time to announce something. Anyone have any updates to share?

I admit to losing hope here. If something was going to change, I really think last week was when it would've happened. Unfortunately, despite our efforts, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about anything developing at this point. I can only point to Tesla itself for potentially providing some goodwill assistance that they are not obligated to. Even there, I think last week would've been the time to announce something. Anyone have any updates to share?

Pretty much everything that could be done has been followed and now it's a matter of waiting for due process to take its course.

I'm not sure what the timelines are regarding CELA's application for review. I will inquire with them.

Complaints have been made to the ombudsman. I'm sure something will become known on that front relatively soon and by the end of next week at the latest.

Politicians appear to not want to touch us. I can only presume they don't agree and/or bad optics or too small an issue/group to bother with in their hierarchy of issues.

The change.org petition is still going strong. On it's own, perhaps not a very powerful instrument but always handy to throw in any emails sent to politicians.

I don't think anyone followed up with the CBC to see if Marketplace or another program would be interested in this?

Some have moved on...some have purchased regardless. Some will have to make a decision soon I would imagine.

Patience is a virtue they say :)

I've tapped out waiting for EVIP (*UCK YOU DOUG FORD). After what has transpired over the last few weeks, I just don't see us getting the rebate so I changed my order to the AWD configuration I really wanted.

The car is now ~+-$22,000 more than originally expected but I'll drive this thing into the ground (my existing car is 14 years old and should have been buried long ago).

Went for:
  • Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 19’’ Sport Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot
Estimated delivery:
Sep.'18 - Nov.'18

Now I just need the 18" Winter tire package and a wall charger.

My only concern is the order date in the vehicle agreement changed from June 23rd to July 23rd so hopefully, Telsa still honours the in-car internet as they told me my order date would stay the same if I changed configurations and I would qualify for it. Perhaps I should call to confirm.

I've tapped out waiting for EVIP (*UCK YOU DOUG FORD). After what has transpired over the last few weeks, I just don't see us getting the rebate so I changed my order to the AWD configuration I really wanted.

The car is now ~+-$22,000 more than originally expected but I'll drive this thing into the ground (my existing car is 14 years old and should have been buried long ago).

Went for:
  • Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
  • Solid Black Paint
  • 19’’ Sport Wheels
  • Premium Interior
  • Premium Black
  • Enhanced Autopilot
Estimated delivery:
Sep.'18 - Nov.'18

Now I just need the 18" Winter tire package and a wall charger.

My only concern is the order date in the vehicle agreement changed from June 23rd to July 23rd so hopefully, Telsa still honours the in-car internet as they told me my order date would stay the same if I changed configurations and I would qualify for it. Perhaps I should call to confirm.

If you needed the 18" tire why not just keep the stock tires and rim and use the $2000 on an aftermarket 19" or 20" wheel? that way you have two sets of tire now.

Reactions: pcons
I’ve got to say if nothing happens by end of week I think I’m going to cancel. Would really love the car but can’t justify the extra $14,000.

Gotta admit not in love with Tesla on this process though. Eager to take my money and sell me car saying it costs $14,000 less. But now that it’s cancelled not even a courtesy call/email to explain situation. And if I want my money back then a 2-3 month wait to get it back. Gone in seconds, refunded in months.

Did you make this change on your own through the design studio or did you call it in? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but my "Edit" button is apparently gone.

Reactions: sitter_k
I’ve got to say if nothing happens by end of week I think I’m going to cancel. Would really love the car but can’t justify the extra $14,000.

Gotta admit not in love with Tesla on this process though. Eager to take my money and sell me car saying it costs $14,000 less. But now that it’s cancelled not even a courtesy call/email to explain situation. And if I want my money back then a 2-3 month wait to get it back. Gone in seconds, refunded in months.

I agree. The complete lack of communication from Tesla is extremely disappointing.

Pretty much everything that could be done has been followed and now it's a matter of waiting for due process to take its course.

I'm not sure what the timelines are regarding CELA's application for review. I will inquire with them.

Complaints have been made to the ombudsman. I'm sure something will become known on that front relatively soon and by the end of next week at the latest.

Politicians appear to not want to touch us. I can only presume they don't agree and/or bad optics or too small an issue/group to bother with in their hierarchy of issues.

The change.org petition is still going strong. On it's own, perhaps not a very powerful instrument but always handy to throw in any emails sent to politicians.

I don't think anyone followed up with the CBC to see if Marketplace or another program would be interested in this?

Some have moved on...some have purchased regardless. Some will have to make a decision soon I would imagine.

Patience is a virtue they say :)

About as much hope as following a rainbow to a pot of gold. Sorry the rebate is gone.

• Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG

Agreed,
I'm in the same position. I can't justify the $14,000 price increase. I will have to cancel my order and go back to the bottom of the list once the Fed's release a tax incentive. My Delivery is set for Sep 18' to Nov 18' so if there are any Angels out there watching over us, please have something happen in the next few months!

Ordering was one of the happiest days of my life and cancelling is bound to be one of the saddest.

Agreed,
I'm in the same position. I can't justify the $14,000 price increase. I will have to cancel my order and go back to the bottom of the list once the Fed's release a tax incentive. My Delivery is set for Sep 18' to Nov 18' so if there are any Angels out there watching over us, please have something happen in the next few months!

Ordering was one of the happiest days of my life and cancelling is bound to be one of the saddest.
Mine arrived in Toronto July 15. I cancelled today

I'm sorry to hear @Burlburt - would have been awesome to see yet another beauty cruising the streets of Burlington.
Do you plan on ordering again if an incentive is put into place, even if it's not $14,000?

Also, what was your config if you don't mind my asking.
Sigh...Blue, 19", Premium Int. Planned to be at Spencer Smith this weekend! Probably not going to order. Ill just fill the air with pollution and chemicals with a 10 cent per litre savings. And hope for a a government where progressive is in the actions not the name.