Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see why it would be applied retroactively. There is no point. The point of the rebate is to entice people who otherwise wouldn't purchase a EV over an ICE vehicle, largely due to the price differential, to purchase the EV. If they've already purchased it, then they don't need enticing.

Really? Didn't feel that way to me. It was the incentive that got me to hit that order button 100% wouldn't have if there wasn't the incentive. I still end up getting the car (picking it up today.. stupid contract system down for the weekend), but not without a lot of sour taste and thinking if i should continue or not after the announcement.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
Disagreed. See my last post about order agreement.

Your last order agreement post simply states that Tesla is a dealer, and the ombudsman agrees.
Unfortunately, that fact Has nothing absolutely nothing to do with Ford’s decision and the government.
As it stands, Tesl doesn’t qualify.
Until Ford changes that, it doesn’t matter.

Your last order agreement post simply states that Tesla is a dealer, and the ombudsman agrees.
Unfortunately, that fact Has nothing absolutely nothing to do with Ford’s decision and the government.

Stop being so rude, @M109Rider. It does have something to do with Ford's decision.

Ford's camp wrote the bill (?) assuming Tesla would be excluded because it doesn't actively sell cars in Ontario. But Tesla does have dealers in Ontario, as the government's own site indicates. So the action via the Ombudsman is trying to reconcile that issue. I agree the Ford government doesn't want to pay rebates to late Tesla buyers, and they would have to acknowledge the application of the dealer condition to enable staff to write cheques to Tesla owners who get their cars by Sept. 10, but it's still possible, although unlikely. (It's so frustrating when people say "there's 0% chance of x happening" about something in the future. You can't predict anything about the future with 100% assurance, especially in politics.)

Stop being so rude, @M109Rider. It does have something to do with Ford's decision.

Ford's camp wrote the bill (?) assuming Tesla would be excluded because it doesn't actively sell cars in Ontario. But Tesla does have dealers in Ontario, as the government's own site indicates. So the action via the Ombudsman is trying to reconcile that issue. I agree the Ford government doesn't want to pay rebates to late Tesla buyers, and they would have to acknowledge the application of the dealer condition to enable staff to write cheques to Tesla owners who get their cars by Sept. 10, but it's still possible, although unlikely. (It's so frustrating when people say "there's 0% chance of x happening" about something in the future. You can't predict anything about the future with 100% assurance, especially in politics.)
I agree with the dealership argument, however until you see the Minister from MTO- John Yakabuski retract from the following quote:

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”

We have nothing.

Reactions: adaptabl
I agree with the dealership argument, however until you see the Minister from MTO- John Yakabuski retract from the following quote:

“Tesla does not have a dealer network. They deal directly with the consumer and our intention in extending it for the other models was to protect the dealer networks that provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario.”

We have nothing.

But they do have a dealer network and the invoice of our orders includes Tesla Canada which is a registered dealer.

I heard a radio ad this weekend for a Subaru dealer advertising the $7500 rebate for 'cars on the lot' until Sept 10th. That really grinds my gears...

We have nothing.
That is such a stupid, misinformed quote from the Minister. Like all the people that work at these Telsa SC's aren't working in Ontario and paying Ontario tax :rolleyes:

Keep in mind the Ombudsman doesn't have jurisdiction over the government. They could absolutely go back to Ford with their findings and Ford could be 100% incorrect. He has the power simply say "Thank you for your findings but I will respectfully stick to my word". I think that's what we're all concerned about - If it was a higher power like the Federal government for example who said no, you must honor the incentive as Tesla does in fact have a dealer network - that's a different story. But to be honest - I still don't think Ford would have to do anything because a) it's Provincial money that he can do with whatever he pleases and b) it specifically states in the incentive that it could be changed or modified at any time without warning.

What I would do if I were TESLA.

1. Deliver the vehicles to Ontario
2. Buyer Cancels order with Tesla
3. Tesla advertises - " Take advantage of the $14k Ontario Government incentive by purchasing a new Model 3 in one of our registered dealerships who provide jobs and work for people here in Ontario. Come on in to our Oakville dealership or our Markham dealership.
4. Buyer agrees on new purchase agreement with the dealership. (similar to a CPO Sale) and takes delivery by Sept 10th.

Maybe get Elon to do one of those Cheezy commercials

Just having fun.

PC's would find another way not to include.

That would be your opinion. The Honourable Minister is free to set policy as the elected government was given a strong mandate to do.
Oh please :rolleyes: Of course it is my opinion, that is what a lot of this forum is about. You of all people should realize that. IMHO it is clear the statement was created to ensure the major automakers and their dealers, who have created strong ties to the party by giving major funding to the campaign, want to be protected and ensure Telsa is not allowed the same rights. In my opinion, it is just like a back room deal to allow some manufacturers a distinct advantage or more precisely one specific to be disadvantaged. Thanks for reading my opinion.

Keep in mind the Ombudsman doesn't have jurisdiction over the government. They could absolutely go back to Ford with their findings and Ford could be 100% incorrect. He has the power simply say "Thank you for your findings but I will respectfully stick to my word". I think that's what we're all concerned about - If it was a higher power like the Federal government for example who said no, you must honor the incentive as Tesla does in fact have a dealer network - that's a different story. But to be honest - I still don't think Ford would have to do anything because a) it's Provincial money that he can do with whatever he pleases and b) it specifically states in the incentive that it could be changed or modified at any time without warning.

I agree with you. I'm just saying the status of Tesla "dealerships" is relevant to the interpretation cancellation order. I agree it's unlikely anything will get Ford to change his mind. If legally challenged, he could of course just revise the wording still retroactively (like Trump did on his immigration bill). I doubt it will get to that, but it's possible.

Wow, there's actually a scroll-bar to see the list of people who disagreed. Never seen that before.

Just wondering if anyone else who cancelled feels a bit bitter whenever they see a Model 3 on the road? =p

I haven't officially canceled yet but I used to get so excited and even talk to the owners anytime I pulled up to one at the lights or in traffic. Now I'm definitely bitter knowing with almost 100% certainty that I'll be canceling in the next week or two. For my own sanity, I've just been thinking of them as just any other car or the road.

I've even run the numbers without EAP and without the 19" sport wheels to try to justify the purchase. But then I thought "here I go compromising again..." I drive 70 km each way to work and back and EAP was a huge selling feature. I hate the 18" aero wheels and yes, I realize I could buy new wheels for less but the fact is I would never do it and really like the 19" option.

I'm either going to get the car I want, without compromise or continue to drive my perfectly functional and decently economical Hyundai Santa Fe for another year or two until a Federal incentive is in place and battery tech has become even more affordable.

Part of me wishes Elon would have prioritized AWD before RWD. This conversation would be a moot point, for me at least. But that's selfish and I digress.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
That would be your opinion. The Honourable Minister is free to set policy as the elected government was given a strong mandate to do.
Not so sure in this case. The government set the rule for dealerships to protect the dealerships and exclude Tesla. However, it appears as though they may have been sloppy in the wording and the wording might actually allow for Teslas to receive the rebate as well.

If one did get a Tesla before sept 10th and filed an application (and it got denied), would they then have a legal case? After all, it seems as though they satisfied the letter of the rule...

Very true. Even when the Ombudsman comes to the conclusion that Tesla is a dealership and, according to the wording of the phase out policy, Tesla orders must qualify, Ford can change it to read "orders before July 11th qualify, except for dealerships which start with the letter T and rhyme with Stella." And to be honest, I wouldn't put that past him.

Very true. Even when the Ombudsman comes to the conclusion that Tesla is a dealership and, according to the wording of the phase out policy, Tesla orders must qualify, Ford can change it to read "orders before July 11th qualify, except for dealerships which start with the letter T and rhyme with Stella." And to be honest, I wouldn't put that past him.
...except that ‘Tesla’ does not rhyme with ‘Stella’ - we still qualify, lol!