TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NigelM, Sep 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SilverGS

SilverGS Active Member

This is the "stealth" aura/effect I absolutely love! :)

• Like x 1
  2. craigger

craigger Member

I think you just described the missing piece of the puzzle for me. For ICE sports cars - when they accelerate, the engine/exhaust sounds makes it feel like you're riding a rocket that could explode at any minute. Like you said, not going back to ICE but it's something my brain is missing. Maybe there's something to the Taycan adding in 'electric' sounds, as hokey as that seems...

• Like x 1
  3. 2101Guy

2101Guy Member

I'd love for Tesla to add that as some sort of future software update. Amplify the sound of the electric motors via the stereo/speakers. Can be enabled or disabled in the menu settings.

• Like x 1
  4. henderrj

henderrj Member

There is a great little education book about how to deal with children. It's called "Why gender matters". One of the points the guy makes (he's both an MD and a psychologist PhD) is that males like loud noises. Females, definitely don't! And I thought it was just that I was a macho man! Apparently we're all like that!

5. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Well, there are exceptions. When I was a teen, Mama joked that "other boys play loud rock music in their rooms, but he plays it softly and expects everyone else in the house to keep quiet while he listens".

As for cars, I never really got the whole thing about revving engines; it never did anything for me. When I am in the Roadster, hearing birds chirping and conversations as I pass, and the soft-but-purposeful whine of the gearbox when it accelerates, and the sounds of the tires loading up… That’s all good to me. Even when driving around town in the Model S, I often prefer to keep the windows open so I can hear what the tires are doing.

• Like x 2
  6. henderrj

henderrj Member

Yup, like most everything else there is a range, but it doesn't overlap. Not even close according to our doctor friend. His studies are quite convincing. It's a fun read, nothing to get too worried about. And, I do like the quiet myself sometimes! But then I'm a hiker. I've gotten used to listening out there.

7. Peter Lucas

Peter Lucas Member

Good for you. Good idea to get an "inventory" car. I also got my Model S that way. Big discount. Small mileage hit. I do wonder if the sales people abuse the batteries of those cars by keeping the batteries at 100% for all those months. The "90" kwh battery in my 6 month old car had a usable capacity of 72-73 kwh.

8. Dondix

Dondix Member

We love ours, and let me tell you, other Tesla owners look at our red Model S and sigh. You just have to flaunt it!

9. serpico007

serpico007 Member

I also got the new Long Range Plus Model recently. It is quick in the 3 second range and gives me no range anxiety. I do still have my ‘76 911 for those nostalgic moments. It was hard for me being a Porsche nut to not buy a new Porsche but I’m very happy with this Model S for daily commuting and sport driving.

• Love x 1
  10. ColonelRHS

ColonelRHS Member

Congratulations!
    I tell people it is really a different experience driving a Tesla. I know it put the fun back in. I was missing my BMW I traded in, until a friend told me he had to shell out $8,000 for some mechanical work.

• Like x 1
  11. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

I know, that look of envy from M3 drivers at superchargers is priceless:)

• Like x 2