Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know what you are saying. And I think ive narrowed it down to the impact of the brain on the aural aspect. The part of the brain that gets stimulated when it hears exhaust notes, engine revs, supercharger whine...feels gear shifts, etc. That wonderful "drama".

All of that is gone, and there are MANY times where I miss it. Its like there are times when the brain was wanting to experience that, so the car kinda obliged/"asked" for it.

Not so much with a silent EV. Not as much brain satisfaction during the acceleration aspect as a when in a powerful ICE car. I always describe it as powerful, but drama free, acceleration in a TEsla.

Miss the ICE aural stimulations sometimes.

But..im still not going back. lol
This is the "stealth" aura/effect I absolutely love! :)

Reactions: z168 and 2101Guy
I know what you are saying. And I think ive narrowed it down to the impact of the brain on the aural aspect. The part of the brain that gets stimulated when it hears exhaust notes, engine revs, supercharger whine...feels gear shifts, etc. That wonderful "drama".

All of that is gone, and there are MANY times where I miss it. Its like there are times when the brain was wanting to experience that, so the car kinda obliged/"asked" for it.

Not so much with a silent EV. Not as much brain satisfaction during the acceleration aspect as a when in a powerful ICE car. I always describe it as powerful, but drama free, acceleration in a TEsla.

I think you just described the missing piece of the puzzle for me. For ICE sports cars - when they accelerate, the engine/exhaust sounds makes it feel like you're riding a rocket that could explode at any minute. Like you said, not going back to ICE but it's something my brain is missing. Maybe there's something to the Taycan adding in 'electric' sounds, as hokey as that seems...

I think you just described the missing piece of the puzzle for me. For ICE sports cars - when they accelerate, the engine/exhaust sounds makes it feel like you're riding a rocket that could explode at any minute. Like you said, not going back to ICE but it's something my brain is missing. Maybe there's something to the Taycan adding in 'electric' sounds, as hokey as that seems...
I'd love for Tesla to add that as some sort of future software update. Amplify the sound of the electric motors via the stereo/speakers. Can be enabled or disabled in the menu settings.

There is a great little education book about how to deal with children. It's called "Why gender matters". One of the points the guy makes (he's both an MD and a psychologist PhD) is that males like loud noises. Females, definitely don't! And I thought it was just that I was a macho man! Apparently we're all like that!

There is a great little education book about how to deal with children. It's called "Why gender matters". One of the points the guy makes (he's both an MD and a psychologist PhD) is that males like loud noises. Females, definitely don't! And I thought it was just that I was a macho man! Apparently we're all like that!

Well, there are exceptions. When I was a teen, Mama joked that "other boys play loud rock music in their rooms, but he plays it softly and expects everyone else in the house to keep quiet while he listens".

As for cars, I never really got the whole thing about revving engines; it never did anything for me. When I am in the Roadster, hearing birds chirping and conversations as I pass, and the soft-but-purposeful whine of the gearbox when it accelerates, and the sounds of the tires loading up… That’s all good to me. Even when driving around town in the Model S, I often prefer to keep the windows open so I can hear what the tires are doing.

Well, there are exceptions. When I was a teen, Mama joked that "other boys play loud rock music in their rooms, but he plays it softly and expects everyone else in the house to keep quiet while he listens".

As for cars, I never really got the whole thing about revving engines; it never did anything for me. When I am in the Roadster, hearing birds chirping and conversations as I pass, and the soft-but-purposeful whine of the gearbox when it accelerates, and the sounds of the tires loading up… That’s all good to me. Even when driving around town in the Model S, I often prefer to keep the windows open so I can hear what the tires are doing.

Yup, like most everything else there is a range, but it doesn't overlap. Not even close according to our doctor friend. His studies are quite convincing. It's a fun read, nothing to get too worried about. And, I do like the quiet myself sometimes! But then I'm a hiker. I've gotten used to listening out there.

Hey all,

Bit of a long-winded story here. I usually commute to work by train down the San Diego coast, but during the summer I like to ride my bike into work. It's about 24 miles each way, so I usually won't ride more than 3 days a week (although I've done as many as 5). With COVID-19, I won't be taking mass transit any time soon, and there's no way I can commit to riding every day - especially when the days start getting shorter in the fall. My first thought was "electric bike". As you can tell, I'm a pretty avid cyclist so I was looking high-end - they start at around $6500. Then I thought "that's still a really big commitment especially in the dark, bad weather, still need to shower at work" not to mention the additional danger of going 28 mph in the bike lanes. So, next thought was Electric Motorcycle. I was looking at the Zero FXS - basically a feather-weight supermoto with the same torque as a 1000cc superbike. This was around $11K with just enough range to get me to and from work. A little more practical, but not much. Also, a motorcycle like that would encourage me to do stupid things. I started researching the Model Y, mainly because one of my co-workers (and Tesla fanatic) had his on order and we talked about his Model 3 and the improvements on the Model Y. I like to go fast, so if I were to go that route I'd have to get the Model Y Performance. I laid out these 3 options to my wife and she immediately nixed the e-Bike idea. She said it would get too hard to stay committed to that and it would become another toy. Can't really argue there. She also nixed the eMotorcycle also. I had sold my motorcycle (BMW R1200R) about a year ago and I could tell she was really happy when I did. She wasn't exactly thrilled about me getting another. Then I brought up the Model Y.

Now - a little back-story. I've always been a huge motor-head and we had always talked about when I was really established in my career (and we had room in the garage) I'd get my dream car. For the past decade, that's been the Porsche 911 (Carrera S to be specific). As the years have gone by, I never lost my desire to drive one but the practicality of not being able to enjoy it with the family made it wear off on me. I thought about the Porsche Panamera, BMW M6 (or M8 if I found a nice used one) but those cars never moved me (so to speak).

OK, back to the story. So, when I brought up the Model Y, my wife said "why not the Model S? that one looks nicer on you". I told her that if I do that, I should just pull my "dream car" card and get the Performance with FSD. And... she said "yes". It took exactly 1.5 seconds to make sure she wasn't joking and I had my $100 deposit down in about 7 seconds flat. I worked with a sales associate to find a demo to knock the price down a bit - I ended up getting a new one from inventory that had all the features I was looking for.

Anyway, I'd like to introduce you to the most expensive $6500 eBike in the world:

View attachment 547473

Being a techno-geek, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't believe there's so much technology packed into this car. Being a motor-head that grew up dreaming of muscle cars - the acceleration is just insane. Absolutely insane. And, much more "practical" than the 911 :).

Enjoy all,
-craigger.
Good for you. Good idea to get an "inventory" car. I also got my Model S that way. Big discount. Small mileage hit. I do wonder if the sales people abuse the batteries of those cars by keeping the batteries at 100% for all those months. The "90" kwh battery in my 6 month old car had a usable capacity of 72-73 kwh.

Hey all,

Bit of a long-winded story here. I usually commute to work by train down the San Diego coast, but during the summer I like to ride my bike into work. It's about 24 miles each way, so I usually won't ride more than 3 days a week (although I've done as many as 5). With COVID-19, I won't be taking mass transit any time soon, and there's no way I can commit to riding every day - especially when the days start getting shorter in the fall. My first thought was "electric bike". As you can tell, I'm a pretty avid cyclist so I was looking high-end - they start at around $6500. Then I thought "that's still a really big commitment especially in the dark, bad weather, still need to shower at work" not to mention the additional danger of going 28 mph in the bike lanes. So, next thought was Electric Motorcycle. I was looking at the Zero FXS - basically a feather-weight supermoto with the same torque as a 1000cc superbike. This was around $11K with just enough range to get me to and from work. A little more practical, but not much. Also, a motorcycle like that would encourage me to do stupid things. I started researching the Model Y, mainly because one of my co-workers (and Tesla fanatic) had his on order and we talked about his Model 3 and the improvements on the Model Y. I like to go fast, so if I were to go that route I'd have to get the Model Y Performance. I laid out these 3 options to my wife and she immediately nixed the e-Bike idea. She said it would get too hard to stay committed to that and it would become another toy. Can't really argue there. She also nixed the eMotorcycle also. I had sold my motorcycle (BMW R1200R) about a year ago and I could tell she was really happy when I did. She wasn't exactly thrilled about me getting another. Then I brought up the Model Y.

Now - a little back-story. I've always been a huge motor-head and we had always talked about when I was really established in my career (and we had room in the garage) I'd get my dream car. For the past decade, that's been the Porsche 911 (Carrera S to be specific). As the years have gone by, I never lost my desire to drive one but the practicality of not being able to enjoy it with the family made it wear off on me. I thought about the Porsche Panamera, BMW M6 (or M8 if I found a nice used one) but those cars never moved me (so to speak).

OK, back to the story. So, when I brought up the Model Y, my wife said "why not the Model S? that one looks nicer on you". I told her that if I do that, I should just pull my "dream car" card and get the Performance with FSD. And... she said "yes". It took exactly 1.5 seconds to make sure she wasn't joking and I had my $100 deposit down in about 7 seconds flat. I worked with a sales associate to find a demo to knock the price down a bit - I ended up getting a new one from inventory that had all the features I was looking for.

Anyway, I'd like to introduce you to the most expensive $6500 eBike in the world:

View attachment 547473

Being a techno-geek, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't believe there's so much technology packed into this car. Being a motor-head that grew up dreaming of muscle cars - the acceleration is just insane. Absolutely insane. And, much more "practical" than the 911 :).

Enjoy all,
-craigger.
We love ours, and let me tell you, other Tesla owners look at our red Model S and sigh. You just have to flaunt it!

Reactions: Ormond
Last year I bought my first Tesla. The model 3 as shown in the photo (black color). I liked that car so much I bought a Model S (still keeping the M3) and we picked it up Friday, June 26 at the Brentwood Tn. Tesla dealership. This is an outstanding dealership and my second experience. The car had been cleaned, shined and sanitized because of the Coronal virus protocols now in place. We got to experience no touch closing but everything was waiting, and we were in and out in twenty minutes tops. I have moved from BMW's to Tesla. Every day I drive the S for pleasure, and I am continually impressed with the technology Tesla offers in it's cars.
View attachment 558869
PS: I got the Long Range Plus model.

I also got the new Long Range Plus Model recently. It is quick in the 3 second range and gives me no range anxiety. I do still have my ‘76 911 for those nostalgic moments. It was hard for me being a Porsche nut to not buy a new Porsche but I’m very happy with this Model S for daily commuting and sport driving.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
I also got the new Long Range Plus Model recently. It is quick in the 3 second range and gives me no range anxiety. I do still have my ‘76 911 for those nostalgic moments. It was hard for me being a Porsche nut to not buy a new Porsche but I’m very happy with this Model S for daily commuting and sport driving.
Congratulations!
I tell people it is really a different experience driving a Tesla. I know it put the fun back in. I was missing my BMW I traded in, until a friend told me he had to shell out $8,000 for some mechanical work.

Reactions: serpico007
My new to me 2014 Model S 85. Unfortunately no AP1 or AWD but it gets me into my dream car. Had 104k miles on the clock and paid $26k for it.

Attachments

• 00r0r_9LvYjC0nJFG_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00r0r_9LvYjC0nJFG_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 262
I took delivery of a 2014 Model S 85 with autopilot 1.0 on 6/24/2020 from the Schaumburg, IL Tesla service and sales location. I was given an Illinois "special 30 day permit" in the rear window, but didn't receive the original title that I could resubmit to the Wisconsin DMV until August 10th. Tesla blamed it on the pandemic and Ohio's lack of spaces on their form. I question how they were allowed to advertise for sale and sell a vehicle for which they could not provide a title upon delivery. I have since transferred my plates from my 1999 Saturn SL2, RIP @257k miles, and haven't yet been hassled by law enforcement, but I have a receipt of certified mail and documentation of payment to Wisconsin DMV on-hand. I'd like to think officers are more focused on other events going on and I hope Tesla Schaumburg and other places improve their title transfer process.

Overall, I am very happy with the price and condition after taking it to a local detailing shop.

Reactions: Dayreg and VikH
Picked up my 2020 LR, FSD, white over cream yesterday.

I went over it carefully using the inspection checklist.
I found one minor issue where the cable connector from the door to the body wasn't plugged into it's hole in the body. Fixed that ourselves.

Then I think I found a more major issue with the trunk. For the first day it closed fine. Now though, it starts to seal and bounces back up if I don't push a little. It's doing a software update so I suppose there is a small chance it'll be ok after the update otherwise I'll have to have that repaired. It seems like the gap is uneven side to side and I've read other owners having had that fixed so hopefully no big deal.

All in all, happy...

Reactions: rafacq
Picked up my new red LR+ about 3 weeks ago. We went over it with a couple of pairs of eagle eyes (my wife inspecting one side while I examined the other. She found two tiny paint chips, which they'll take care of next time I bring it into the SC. Other than that, I've noticed zero defects. I wired up a 240v receptacle in the garage and bought the appropriate Tesla adaptor for my mobile charger. My wife was quite disappointed that Tesla had discontinued the switch to set regeneration to Low, but as she drives it during good weather, she's starting to get the necessary muscle memory to reflexively handle icy roads.

The thing I'm most buzzed about is energy efficiency. Based on our lifestyle, most of the miles we put on the car are city/country roads, not superhighways. In the first 400 miles, we've averaged 260 wh/mile, but that includes the 450 wh/mile reading at delivery. In the past 165 miles, we've averaged just 243 wh/mile. I understand this will be substantially lower in the New England winter that is coming, but with this data, we don't anticipate suffering range anxiety.

RS4s.jpg

Hey all. Wanted to add my recent used purchase experience and also thank all those who posted as this helped me decide on my 2017 used MS 100D. I know there are some hits and misses and it was rolling a dice. From my recent and first experience though, mine went near textbook and hoping it is more norm for those reading than the opposite. I was in the same boat as many, used vs new MS LR+.

Reason for this specific used one:
- Overall price for feature was less, approx. $15k less sticker (Taking features and some depreciation for age)
- Features: Sunroof(!!), red with black carbon fiber interior (on a non performance), FSD included, HW upgradable to 3.0/MCU2, 21" tires
- Low Mileage
- 4yr/50k miles warranty after delivery from Tesla

Concerns:
- Postings here of some bad experiences with used car sales and condition.
- Removing of pictures from site
- Release of a new/refreshed MS with something I really want

Helped Decide:
- Sales team at the Plano, TX center were great. They did not care if I bought new or used. Told me if there were any issues, I can come find them and they would try to help. If there were any feature/functionality questions after purchase, just come to them.
- Actually had my eye on the car from Tesla.com (used) for awhile and kept watching the price drop.
- Saw the original pictures before removed from tesla.com. 2 other sites still had the pictures.
- https://tesla-info.com/car/<vin> really helped. Listed all feature of the car in detail. Not sure what feeds it but my VIN came right up but others did not.
- Tesla.com used car "Reach out" assigned a used car coordinator and she responded pretty fast to all my pre-sales questions. She also was available to answer my other questions after purchase before delivery.

After Ordering notes
- Car was coming from Tampa to Dallas. Took 1.5-2 weeks transport.
- Waited until last minute to pay off the car but yes, had to do before taking delivery
- Tesla required insurance on the vehicle prior to delivery so paid a week of car insurance without the car.
- Communications were good actually between the text messages, emails, and the used car coordinator. Only complaint was the lack of expectations of where and when some of the updates came. Partially due to my impatience probably.
- (Big one) The sales associate who helped me at the showroom also worked at the delivery center. When I told him we bought the used one and its arrival date, he said he would be at the delivery center to check it out and help me take delivery. He even got me in a day early as we were concerned about rain the scheduled day of delivery. Already helped on certain how features work vs bugs in software items :)
- Car came in near perfect condition. No mechanical issues. 2 minor cosmetic items I am picky about. Already scheduled my MCU2/AP HW 3 upgrade. (Let's see how my first service experience goes).

Car drives awesome. Looking forward to not standing out in the winter windy cold filling up gas this year.
Thanks again all for the help in this forum! Hope this posting helps someone along the way.