Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rule of thumb for a 1/4 mile run is about .1 seconds for every hundred pounds I think. So a 200lb driver wouldn't impact 0-60 too much vs a 125lb driver.

The increased mass should just scale the acceleration down, since F=ma. So to a given speed, it should just scale the time proportional to the weight increase. To a given distance, it's different, since x=1/2*a*t^2 (so I think the t scaling goes as the sqrt of the weight increase in the case of constant a, but I think not so simple if the a is not constant...).

Anyway, a 3.17s run to 60mph with a 200lb driver instead of a 125lb driver I think should end up being (4072+200)/(4072+125)*3.17s = 3.23s with the 200lb driver.

So a 60ms increase in time for that. Since I usually carry around 40-50 pounds of stuff in the car, I was sure to remove it for my before & after testing above. (It was removed in both the before & after case, for science.)

Reactions: Richt and dfwatt
Managed a new 0-60 best today in somewhat warmer temps. SOC 84%. I'm getting an initial bit of slip with my snow tires on, so wishful thinking tells me I'll be sub-3 with summer rubber and a performance sticker or two :D.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 12.33.51 PM.png

Managed a new 0-60 best today in somewhat warmer temps. SOC 84%. I'm getting an initial bit of slip with my snow tires on, so wishful thinking tells me I'll be sub-3 with summer rubber and a performance sticker or two :D.

View attachment 398941

5300 feet? That is not fair. I wonder how much of a difference it makes (I don’t think air resistance makes a huge difference for most of this speed range)...so probably not much.

Reactions: is2scooby
5300 feet? That is not fair. I wonder how much of a difference it makes (I don’t think air resistance makes a huge difference for most of this speed range)...so probably not much.

Well, I did go down about 2,000 feet to get to that elevation as there's not a flat stretch of road I can do a 0-60 on where I live. Let's consider any advantage neutralized since the car was at 84% SOC. ;)

Hi guys, late to the party but finally got the 5% power update (car doesn't reach wifi where I live). I notice the car is quicker from 30mph and up, mostly around 40mph, when I stomp on it, it's like a Model S P85D launch. Anyone have any data on which MPH did the update improved upon?

I also notice I can reach high speeds quicker too. Before I know it I'm already at 60mph from 35mph. Didn't notice this before.

I finally put my 17 lbs. 18x8.5 wheels back on with PS4S in OEM size 235/45/18.

41 lbs for the wheels, tires, TPMS, valve, air, etc.

I'm now consistently pulling 3.34 seconds 0-60. 3.1 seconds 0-60 (1 ft).

My best before was always consistently 3.54 seconds 0-60 before the power update and 3.46 seconds after the update all on the OEM 20" wheels/tires.

All runs at over 92% SOC.

I'm quite surprised I have not experienced a decrease in energy usage when I'm driving normally to from work on the same usual routes. I'm thinking the Michelin PS4S are grippier than the OEM Tesla Spec Michelin PS4S; they certainly feel that way, but are also noticably noisier without the foam.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: forkee and Zoomit

My best before was always consistently 3.54 seconds 0-60 before the power update and 3.46 seconds after the update all on the OEM 20" wheels/tires.

I'm quite surprised I have not experienced a decrease in energy usage when I'm driving normally to from work on the same usual routes. I'm thinking the Michelin PS4S are grippier than the OEM Tesla Spec Michelin PS4S; they certainly feel that way, but are also noticably noisier without the foam.

What wheels you got? 17lbs is super light .

For sure that lighter combo would be expected to help your 0 to 60 times. Those are excellent times, and your two tenths of a second pickup is about what other people are reporting for dropping 10 pounds off the wheel-tire combination a corner. But why would you assume that a generic Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is somehow grippier than a tire made for Tesla? You are aware of course or at least I assume you are aware that the tread width on the OEM 20in 235/35 - 20 is actually greater on the OEM tire then the generic 235 / 45 - 18 PS4?

Last edited:
Tesla's spec is supposed to have harder compound in the center of the tire to support the higher tire pressures without wearing them out prematurely.

That would contribute to it being a less sticky tire. How much so vs it's wider tread width is anybody's guess.

Tesla's spec is supposed to have harder compound in the center of the tire to support the higher tire pressures without wearing them out prematurely.

That would contribute to it being a less sticky tire. How much so vs it's wider tread width is anybody's guess.

I'm curious what your source of information is on this. I've tried to get information from Michelin directly and have been rebuffed. I've also heard but not been able to confirm that the outer tread compound is actually softer to compensate for the car's weight without having to go to a wider section width which might involve increased rolling resistance. This rumor does seem consistent with the fact that the tire gets easily destroyed when the car is tracked relative to the antecedent Super Sport tire which held up somewhat better.

Last edited:
I'm curious what your source of information is on this. I've tried to get information from Michelin directly and have been rebuffed. I've also heard but not been able to confirm that the outer tread compound is actually softer to compensate for the car's weight without having to go to a wider section width which might involve increased rolling resistance. This rumor does seem consistent with the fact that the tire gets easily destroyed when the car is tracked relative to the antecedent Super Sport tire which held up somewhat better.

I picked it up from other posters here and other forums. It's possible it is a circular reference with an unknown origin at this point.

Whatever Tesla (Porsche, GM, etc) requested Michelin do with OEM tires would be considered proprietary information and will not be disclosed unless Tesla (etc) discloses it. So I am not surprised Michelin is not saying anything about it.