Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...safety...

In the beginning, Tesla wouldn't do any safety updates on salvaged cars but now it agrees to do some such as replacing an airbag due to governmental recall.

But that's physical safety update.

Tesla has done some over-the-air safety updates before:

.Addition of "deadman's switch" for Summon as requested by Consumer Reports.

But that is not governmental recalls so I am not sure whether Tesla is obligated to provide those updates in non-recall issues.

Thank you Tesla, see you in court!
IMG_3290.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: rohan_aus
My understanding is that Tesla has said that if you pay for, and pass, a HV inspection that they will re-enable updates.

But given that you have been banned from your local Tesla service centers I'm not sure that that option is still available to you.

Technically, unless you were the original owner of the car, you are not a Tesla customer, so they have no contract/responsibilities to you. Their responsibilities in regards to that car ended when the insurance company totaled it. (Though as @Tam said they have said that they would do safety recalls even on salvaged cars, after some pushing by people like @Btr_ftw.)

So my car was a few years ago involved in a very minor front end scratch to the bumper and was unfortunately determined by the insurance at the time to be salvage title

Do you really expect us to believe that the insurance company totaled a Model S because of a "very minor front end scratch to the bumper" cover? (And the bumper cover could be replaced for less than $2k.) If so that it is a really stupid insurance company.

Last edited:
Reactions: DARK_VADAR
My understanding is that Tesla has said that if you pay for, and pass, a HV inspection that they will re-enable updates.

But given that you have been banned from your local Tesla service centers I'm not sure that that option is still available to you.

Technically, unless you were the original owner of the car, you are not a Tesla customer, so they have no contract/responsibilities to you. Their responsibilities in regards to that car ended when the insurance company totaled it. (Though as @Tam said they have said that they would do safety recalls even on salvaged cars, after some pushing by people like @Btr_ftw.)

Do you really expect us to believe that the insurance company totaled a Model S because of a "very minor front end scratch to the bumper" cover? (And the bumper cover could be replaced for less than $2k.) If so that it is a really stupid insurance company.

If you notice every guy who talks about salvage vehicle, they always say the car has "minor" damage

Well lets see Alex. First your going to sue Tesla because you asked them, over the phone, if this car was under warranty, they said, yes. Of course you failed to mention to them that the car had been TOTALED, so you got bad info, by not providing the pertinent needed information. So there goes that case. Then you took the car in for something else, but Tesla wanted to do a Get This, wait for it, -----------AN AIR BAG SAFETY RECALL, but you refused to wait to have it done. Then you caused so much trouble, and obviously acted like such a jerk, over NOT wanting the SAFETY work done that they had to call the cops and have you thrown out, and banded you from ever coming back. Now your sooooooo concerned about some possible OTA safety update, that may or may not ever exist, but you couldn't wait, or come back later and pick your car up, over a REAL safety issue, LIKE AIR BAGS. Your so concerned over this that your afraid to drive the car. LLLLLOL All Tesla needs to beat you in court is your own posts. Keep posting though, because your posts are funnier than most jokes. LOL

That's exactly what he's trying to do SSedan. He could have paid Tesla to certify the car, and get up dates, but he didn't want to pay for it. Then he got band from the SC. His idea was to flip the car to make money, but he won't have super charging, any warranty, and now no up dates, or repair support, so he's coming up with this safety BS to try to get Tesla to provide up dates. He's finally figuring out that not having any of these things available to a buyer is going to make a flip difficult.

WOW how many of you here work for Tesla , I bet many! coz there are things mentioned here that only the people who were at the dealership that day would know and you have MENTIONED THEM HERE! I didn't post the information you have in your replys, so this tells me that 100% some of you douches who work in Sydney or have connection to the dealership are in this forum. Oh and I feel like a broken record here repeating the "VERY OBVIOUS" What I will do for all these above comments is answer them here in this reply right now for you ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

So here goes !

As people do before they buy cars $100,000 they normally call the dealership manufacturer to ask about service history and warranties! (I did exactly this)

So I have the call log I made them calls to the dealership prior to me purchasing the vehicle ! However the insurance company does not have an obligation to notify every vehicle manufacturer of one of there vehicles has been damaged! hence teslas knowledge of the title of salvage was never logged as far as they were concerned !

in saying this however this is a Tesla , it I'm sure when it did have an accident something got logged to the computer to say "collision"! regardless when I asked the question about the car, the answer to it was "yes it has warranty and free supercharging" I bough the car on this premise!

One does not record that phone call! one does not ask for it in writing! one takes the company word and trusts they will stay true to that word! NOT THE CASE HOWEVER WITH TESLA! THEY FAILED THAT WORD AND BROKE THAT PROMISE/GUARNATEE TO ME !

(1ST FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
So a few weeks later I call up Tesla to ask for some parts, what do you know "TESLA DOES NOT WANT TO SELL ME ANY PARTS!

(2ND FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
Then Tesla wanted to be nosey about my car and asked me what do I want the parts for ? realistically its none of there business whatsoever at all actually! I could be replacing a fender that I ran over a gutter , or scraped on my driveway, whatever the reasoning they do not need to or have any legal right to know! but nevertheless I told them and showed them exactly what I needed, they then went on to say "this cars been damaged, NO SUPERCHARGING, NO UPDATES"

(3RD FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
Tesla never said once "Get a HV inspection and we will reinstate updates! let me tell the story for the people commenting here thinking they know or were present! Tesla said "Regardless if you get the HV inspection or not we will never ever yes "EVER" support this car or supercharge"

(4th FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
One of your comment says "Tesla has a contract with whom they sold the vehicle to" WRONG! Tesla has a contract on there car and parts, just the same way the "Takata airbag company has a responsibility worldwide no matter who owns the faulty bag" (warranty and guarantees are transferable, as is with all other cars, im sure takata airbags also would be out of warranty years ago, but the fact they are faulty/dangerous then the responsibility still lays on the manufacturer "TAKATA")

(5TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
Another comment of peoples above "about clutching Perls over updates on salvage car" The safety updates are not just for me or the occupants in my car, regardless whether they like me or not, this car fails it could kill people on the road (other users)

(6TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
Customers do not bring there cars in to Tesla planning there day for 'one hours labour work to calibrate there radar" and get told by the service advisors "your car has a airbag recall, but you have 6 years from date of manufacturing to do it!", then be told "no we will do it now! whether you like it or not", and when the customer refuses to sit around for 5 hours at the dealership because they had never anticipated on 6 hours out of there day!

Tesla will inconvenience you as they wish, even though you offered them to do the airbag recall "next week" as you have two meetings already planned for that day you need to attend to and you ask "do you have a loan vehicle" and they say "no", they expect me to catch taxis 45 mins away in the busy city of Sydney which could easy be $150 each way at my own expense , and then another $200 to the meetings at two different other locations.

(7TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
Tesla service tech tells you "ok you can take your car and go" because you say "you can't do the airbag install" that day, then the Tesla tech staff storms off downstairs to tell the technicians to stop all work on the car completely and to take your car!

(8TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
As you proceed to follow the service tech to say "no please finish off what we booked in I've waited weeks for this appointment/" then assaults you and pushes you (I have this all video recorded by the way)

(9TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
Call the police on there customers have removed for "Trespassing" , even though they never asked you to leave or you "trespassed" appointment was booked in weeks prior!

(10TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
issue that customer a permanent ban notice from every dealership in your country! "So who do I take my car to "FORD?"

(11TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
return customers car back with window down on a rainy day, knowingly that the windows do not go up and down, and damage the whole of the customers interior because of Teslas negligence (also recorded in front of police) asking them to close the window, and them refusing to do so!

(12TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
After issuing you a ban notice you do not attend there sites anymore, and then they tell you "not to call anymore and to only email them to book the car in"

(13TH FAIL ON TESLAS BEHALF)
After you do not attend their sites or call them and finally email them, 14 emails later they still don't reply to you , and your windows still open since 2nd April 2019, car is "UNSAFE" to drive due to safety updates needed , and airbag recall. Australian government is notified about what they have done to me and they are all over it, let me reassure you, oh wait no the people on here commenting are correct and the Australia department of fair trading and tribunal are "WRONG" :)

I have a lot more I could go into but lets leave that for the court, soon all of you will be eating your words when you see the outcome of where this is headed. As for a car that has a front bumper scratch and a fender replaced , if that means Tesla should not warranty the thousands of other parts of the car that are not affected by the damage, well all of you need have a lot to learn, if a builder builds you a house the kitchen gets damaged , they are still liable for the rest of the house , they do not scrap any warranty on the rest of the house build. "takata airbag here perfect example"

Let me guess also the case of Sheikh vs Tesla , were you all telling him to that he's a nutter, well he won all of you thousands of dollars back into your pockets due to teslas promise of the autopilot features you all never got. Oh hear the announcement yesterday by 2020 the cars will completely autonomous HAHAHHAHAHA biggest joke I have ever heard in my life, let me tell you all it takes is one , just one leaf or bird dropping to hit that front camera and that car is blind! one piece of debris on the road, one pot hole, and CHAOS!!!!! the same people sitting here commenting are the same people who say "YES ITS TRUE IT WILL HAPPEN LESS THAN 1 YEAR!" He promised you the "WORLD" and sold you a "MAP" as much as it hurts you to know and accept this, you chose to accept being "BENT OVER!" and I chose not to!

Some of you remind me of a girl at a bar who's had a few "very easily gullible to trick" this court is not about my car, and its not about money, its about a point to tricksters and fraudsters , and the treatment I received.

If all of you a sheep to let anybody just do as they please with you or your car, im not one of them, you'll thank me later, what happened to me could of happened to any of you! imagine you bought my car after I had repaired it and you made that cal to Tesla and they said yes "free supercharging and updates till 2020" and then they did to me mentioned above to you! and then they banned you and you knew your car needs safety updates and the dash says to contact Tesla for updates, but Tesla told you "you will never get a update indefinitely"

Welcome to my world!

Last edited:
If all of you a sheep to let anybody just do as they please with you or your car, im not one of them, you'll thank me later, what happened to me could of happened to any of you! imagine you bought my car after I had repaired it and you made that cal to Tesla and they said yes "free supercharging and updates till 2020" and then they did to me mentioned above to you!

Except it wouldn't happen to any of us because having done even the most basic due diligence, we wouldn't have relied upon Tesla's answer about the warranty without disclosing it was a salvage title...

If you needed an answer you could rely upon then you needed to make full disclosure at the time, as their answers to you on this topic have actually been correct each time you asked. When you first asked the car did have a warranty, but only because the records had not yet been updated. When you next asked the records had been updated and it no longer had a warranty.

You were not buying the car from Tesla, so they had no duty of care to you beyond accurately telling you what their system showed at the time you asked. In order for you to have any claim that you relied upon their answers in proceeding with your purchase, you would have to show that you disclosed that it was a salvage title and they still assured you that you would have a warranty...

... and as for buying your car from you, we would be asking you about the warranty status and then checking that with Tesla. If you failed to disclose that it was a salvage title then it would be you that we would be seeing in court, not Tesla.

This is why, right from the start, many people have been saying that if you bought this car without being told it was a salvage title then you have cause for action against whoever sold it to you.

If you bought it in the full knowledge of its salvage status, then this is all on you.

The sad part is that it didn't have to be this way, you could have come here to this group and got help to navigate your way though the steps you need to follow to source parts, manuals, even software assistance and get your car back on the road in the best possible condition.

Instead, right form the outset, once you fixed the easy bits, you tried to get Tesla involved and to blame them for all your problems, that isn't the way to handle salvage repairs. If you cannot be self-sufficient on both the mechanics and the software then you probably shouldn't be attempting this kind of work on a Tesla.

... and of course just because pretty much nobody here agrees with you doesn't mean you won't get lucky in court, so do let us know how it goes, but do not believe you are doing this for us and it is unlikely we will be 'thanking you later'.

So my car was a few years ago involved in a very minor front end scratch to the bumper and was unfortunately determined by the insurance at the time to be salvage title,

Is your car really the one they are talking about in the other thread?

Someone reported what they found on it:
VIN 5YJSB7E21GF151253
Year/Month of compliance 2016-08
VIC, 01 Oct 2018, Repairable Write-off
• I01D [Impact | Passenger front | Light structural]
• I06A [Impact | Passenger side | Heavy panel]
• I17D [Impact | Chassis/structural rail (passenger) | Light structural]
• I22D [Impact | A pillar passenger | Light structural]

If so, that looks like way more than minor scratch to the front bumper cover. In fact I would say that the "light structural" damage to the A pillar is probably why it was written off...

Reactions: drklain and Mark E
Reading in the Australian group thread, this car was flagged as a salvage title (they call it "previously written off", so there is no question this was a salvage title car and that it was known that there was no supercharging and no support....It's worth reading that thread to see how obvious it was that this car was a disaster (and not "light damage") to the crowd in Australia...

I own the car , the front fender panel was replaced and front bumper scratched mate. Please leave the truth to me I would know I own it, there are also photos in this post go have a look, better yet lets all have a meet up and you come see it yourself and take it for a drive. It drives like a dream!

Except it wouldn't happen to any of us because having done even the most basic due diligence, we wouldn't have relied upon Tesla's answer about the warranty without disclosing it was a salvage title...

If you needed an answer you could rely upon then you needed to make full disclosure at the time, as their answers to you on this topic have actually been correct each time you asked. When you first asked the car did have a warranty, but only because the records had not yet been updated. When you next asked the records had been updated and it no longer had a warranty.

You were not buying the car from Tesla, so they had no duty of care to you beyond accurately telling you what their system showed at the time you asked. In order for you to have any claim that you relied upon their answers in proceeding with your purchase, you would have to show that you disclosed that it was a salvage title and they still assured you that you would have a warranty...

... and as for buying your car from you, we would be asking you about the warranty status and then checking that with Tesla. If you failed to disclose that it was a salvage title then it would be you that we would be seeing in court, not Tesla.

This is why, right from the start, many people have been saying that if you bought this car without being told it was a salvage title then you have cause for action against whoever sold it to you.

If you bought it in the full knowledge of its salvage status, then this is all on you.

The sad part is that it didn't have to be this way, you could have come here to this group and got help to navigate your way though the steps you need to follow to source parts, manuals, even software assistance and get your car back on the road in the best possible condition.

Instead, right form the outset, once you fixed the easy bits, you tried to get Tesla involved and to blame them for all your problems, that isn't the way to handle salvage repairs. If you cannot be self-sufficient on both the mechanics and the software then you probably shouldn't be attempting this kind of work on a Tesla.

... and of course just because pretty much nobody here agrees with you doesn't mean you won't get lucky in court, so do let us know how it goes, but do not believe you are doing this for us and it is unlikely we will be 'thanking you later'.

Actually wrong Tesla has a duty of care for a car that needs an update/patch etc that can be dangerous to the public! I am not even going after them for the supercharging or warranty but realistically regardless whether I did due diligence or the system of the car being logged as previously damaged , when a dealership tells you “Yes it has warranty, and free over updates and free supercharging” that there is “fraudulent or incorrect or wrong advice!” they made the car and offered it with that when they sold it , it was also why I bought the car too!

Your wrong in regard to “if you were to buy the car from me and I did not disclose it was a written off vehicle”, I have no duty of care to any buyer, just like you previously stated now your contradicting yourself, in one hand you say “buyer must do due dilligence and repsonisuibilyt is on buyer, now your saying that you could sue me for not disclosing it was a written off vehicle” (well at least in Australia the law is “buyer beware” I am not a dealer to have a duty of care, if that was the case then every car that broke down a week later would see all the sellers in court rooms and cars break down every single day 365 days a year so your completely wrong)

Im not sure if you work with Tesla or have some affiliation to them, but you seem to be trying to push me to go to the previous buyer for relief in this case, the argument here is again for 1000th time the car is unsafe and Tesla is not doing anything about it! “NO UPDATES INDEFINITELY!” Not sure how much clearer possibly I can be!!!!

And again your completely wrong here again to say “if I bought the car knowingly it was previous title its on me” teslas car is unsafe to a public road, I cant fix that only they can! And aren’t!

I now firmly believe you have an affiliation to Tesla or just dont have a girl friend and are dating “Ms TeZLA” your saying “blaming Tesla for all my problems” how is a car that needs an update coz it can be hacked by Chinese hackers due to a flaw design on your girl friends car she built “ my problem”? Are you forgetting point “1 to 13” Tesla did for to me ? I see you are not addressing one bit of any of them points and coming after me here to discredit me here! “Dont worry Mr Tesla, I am not going away!” If you really dont have any connection to this case why dont you then address all these points I have raised , lets see what you think of it all , instead of you somehow trying to shift this on me and push me the wrong way, soon I’m going to be parking my car right out the front of there dealership and get paint and write all over it, “THE WORSTE CAR I HAVE EVER BOUGHT!” And then have a poster from the inside of the car at the back of everything Tesla has done to me, they wanna squeeze me ? I can squeeze that much harder, be ready!

Oh no no no im doing this for “all of you” and here you are again trying to get everyone else here in this post to take on your (Tesla) side and shift blame on to me, and you will be thanking me later, because this can happen to any one of you at any given time! god forbid

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike

yes I expect you to believe that ! because a $400,000 2019 Aston Martin last week got written off never to be put back on any road with only 205kms on the clock due to the bonnet has a slight crack and headlight missing! its ridiculous yes! and its part of what's happening in my country Australia!

unfortunately I am unable to find the link for that one as it has expired it was two weeks ago, but here is another 2019 Aston Martin have a look at it properly, the front bumper needs a grill, the bonnet needs a repair! this car will never see a road ever again! correct!

2018 Aston Martin RAPIDE - Pickles