Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Boost Available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
eh. Base C6 Corvette can be had for less than 15K. Tune, Cam, exhaust and tires and you are down in the 3s. Add some boost and you are running sub 10 second quarter miles all day long. My point is that the fanbois would have you believe this is unheard of in the ICE game and that is just untrue. Again, ill take 0.5s for 2K at the push of a button any day of the week but I can do the same thing (possibly even cheaper) on a cheaper car with a similar starting 0-60.
Sorry your Way off. I just sold my C6 (for way more then 15k) the exhaust alone cost 1k. Even after cam, ProCharger, tires, etc still not close to a 10 second car and that’s all while praying the rear end stays on the ground and the trans doesn’t fall out. WAY more then 10k to do this also.

Reactions: mark95476
Been answered many times: The numbers reported don't show a difference. And from what I could tell, the 980 was just a stop-gap till they jumped to the 990. The only hope you have is for a third party mod which will more than likely lead to a major up hill battle with Tesla when it's all said and done. Also, as I've seen mentioned before, we don't know if the 980 in your vehicle is really as capable. There could be differences that make it less reliable at the same power levels as the Performance. There's just not enough info as of yet.
All of the Performance Model 3s have the 980 because it comes with an stronger inverter. The 980s are more expensive due to the inverter difference. The 990s can’t output as much.

I'm impressed with your gas pedal discipline. I figure wh/mi may go up for a while just from playing with the new power. You must have resisted tromping on it.
I lack the discipline.

Attachments

• 20200927_224028.jpg
    20200927_224028.jpg
    709.7 KB · Views: 78
A great way to lose control--put even more power into rear wheel drive cars like Mustangs and Corvettes and stomp on the accelerator. o_O

This is a pretty nice one of a C5 vs C6--

hol up. Where did we ever specify where this was happening at. Go look at the original context of some dude saying it takes 10K to shave half a second off a 0-60. Also who tf mentioned a mustang?! Read the context before you popoff. I found the Tesla fanboi. Though I appreciate the mustang at a car show cause everyone know those things kill at least 100K people a year in the US alone. Crazy ass mustang drivers.

I’ll cave and buy this. Compared to to my old 3 (LR DM), the Y felt sluggish. This boost should solve that problem.

Saying a SUV that does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is sluggish is a discussion for a whole different thread. Tesla has ruined me.
I know i feel the same, got so much flak on Electrek for saying this - I also think they have changed the throttle mapping to suite SUV types that are not used to that level or responsiveness, I hate the rubber-band feel I get, and the Model 3 AWD has totally ruined me, can't go back to horse and cart....Tesla please update the throttle response if you're gonna bongle power.

I know i feel the same, got so much flak on Electrek for saying this - I also think they have changed the throttle mapping to suite SUV types that are not used to that level or responsiveness, I hate the rubber-band feel I get, and the Model 3 AWD has totally ruined me, can't go back to horse and cart....Tesla please update the throttle response if you're gonna bongle power.
Dyno charts on the Y also show how the initial power is held back on the Y, unfortunately, compared to the 3. This is what many 3 owners are mentioning when they drive or own a Y.

Reactions: MrABRanch
***Update*** Tesla was able to push the update through. I got in my car and it automatically went through a reboot phase. After the reboot was done, acceleration options changed from "chill/standard" to "chill/sport". Took it around the block for a quick test and it is NOTIACBLY faster (and more fun) now! Enjoy!

Does the throttle response feel more direct after the boost? I've felt the Y has a much more rubber-band effect compared to the AWD 3 and I really hate it, yes acceleration needs more go too but the throttle response is what really bothers me.

10 days ago I traded my beloved Model 3 "stealth" Performance for a new Model Y. Other than some fit/finish issues which are being worked, the Y is everything I expected and then some. Except for one thing - the instant, responsive, crazy acceleration that made the Model 3 so much fun to drive was gone. Buyer's remorse was setting in big time.

When I saw this performance boost offer, I jumped on it right away. Wow! What a diference. The Y now feels just like the M3P. I am not someone who runs 1/4 miles or tries to get the best 0-60 times. But for everyday spirited driving, I don't feel any performance loss to the M3P. Buyer's remorse is gone, the joy of driving a Tesla is back and I'm a happy camper!

Last edited: