Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Upgrade Price Change!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution: Offer non-P AWD owners a software unlock upgrade to P3D- for $5000. Not a bad deal for 1+ second quicker acceleration and would bring in more revenue for Tesla.

It would need to be at least $6,000, otherwise you would have the P3D- people complaining that they paid $1,000 more than the AWD people that upgraded to P3D-.

Ah, good point. Also, post-delivery unlocks always come at a premium. So maybe $6500.

Also they can bump the power of the P3D for free to assuage the offended Performance owners. If this thread is anything to go by, I think Performance owners would be upset that they have to pay higher property taxes to California on an ongoing basis & higher sales tax, while the AWD plebeians have the same power, even if it came at a higher up front cost. There would also be concerns about excess depreciation, again if this thread is anything to go by! Must maintain exclusivity!

Last edited:
Solution: Offer non-P AWD owners a software unlock upgrade to P3D- for $5000. Not a bad deal for 1+ second quicker acceleration and would bring in more revenue for Tesla.
Exactly.

They will sell far more than enough AWD uncorks to cover the entire $5k refund campaign... and everyone is happy, I hope!

Thanks Elon for a great Christmas gift to us stealth owners. I also get the satisfaction of responding to the long email thread I had with customer support asking for the refund and being refused (where I was fruitlessly arguing with them about the intent of Elon's original tweet).

I was pretty sure it was never Elon’s decision to not include P3D- owners. Some Tesla admin made this stupid decision and I’m glad Elon found out about it and clarified.
Yes, your right. Elon seems like a fair guy if he gets to hear your plight. He never got to hear ours, that's why it took so long. He has so many things on his plate, it is sometimes hard to get even a small piece of his mind share. But it looks like this unfair policy application finally got to his ears and he made the corrective action he promised in his original tweet.

Reactions: Roys3