Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petitie: trekhaak voor álle Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The installation of the coupling with 1200kg tensile load and its approval refers to all M3 homologation versions

"It will have homologation for Tesla Model 3. And that will include models with or without towbar. There is no difference in the structure of the car, all they did is an extension for car homologation that includes towbar."

The installation of the coupling with 1200kg tensile load and its approval refers to all M3 homologation versions

"It will have homologation for Tesla Model 3. And that will include models with or without towbar. There is no difference in the structure of the car, all they did is an extension for car homologation that includes towbar."
Hmm. AFAIK: homologation by the RDW can only be done with cooperation of the car manufacturer (in this case Tesla). I tried to get approvement for a tow-hitch for my wife's car (a Renault Zoe), however: Renault says NO so the RDW says NO ... In Germany it is possible to get TÜV-approvement for a tow-hitch for the Zoe, not so in the Netherlands: the RDW has the final say.

Although I appreciate this initiative, this will, unfortunately not be a solution for everyone. I have in fact explored this option ever since I learned about the German initiative for the Model S.

Indeed, the TÜV offers this service, where the results can be "purchased" by the individual car owner. This is valid in Germany on an individual basis. For other countries this is not enough, since they do not accept the TÜV aftermarket approval. It really has to come from the manufacturer. So unless you are willing to export your car to Germany and then import it back, it is not useful to us.

Secondly, is the question about safety. The fact that something is approved as third party option, does not mean that it is safe. The combination of more than 400 horse power and instant torque will without a doubt cause hazardous situations. It is not for no reason that Tesla has a trailer-mode which changes the vehicle dynamics. We need trailer mode, otherwise people might die. Maybe not you, but someone else that supports your kickstarter campaign. You do not want this, trust me.

Finally, there is the question about warranty. There is no way that TÜV can proof that damages will not occur to the battery or drive train. If something is approved, it does not mean that no damages can occur. If Tesla sees an unofficial trailer hook, it causes a highly unpredictable situation. Even if the law in on your side, it is a painful process to go through, and often an endless battle (while you are waiting to have your $7000 battery replaced).

I have read your kickstarter campaign, and I do not see you mention any of these risks. I urge you to add these limitations to the campaign, clearly informing the non-German supporters that this might be a limitation. But also the Germans should at least be aware of the risks regarding safety, liability and warranty. If you do not do this, you are forcing me to use my network to spread the word myself.

I said it before and I will say it again: this is a marathon and NOT a sprint.
We need to convince Tesla. We should not want to do this without them. For our own safety and for the integrity of our car.

Finally, that also relates to your remark that the petition clearly did not provide results; regulatory instances work slow. Yesterday I received a letter from the dutch road authority (RDW) that I am invited for a meeting regarding this case. This might not be the solution, but things are definitely not standing still.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nervus and Sregor
Ik ga mee in je post (zal geen verassing zijn), maar heb bedenkingen waar je schrijft:
The combination of more than 400 horse power and instant torque will without a doubt cause hazardous situations. It is not for no reason that Tesla has a trailer-mode which changes the vehicle dynamics. We need trailer mode, otherwise people might die. Maybe not you, but someone else that supports your kickstarter campaign. You do not want this, trust me.
Je kunt jezelf, ook zonder aanhanger, prima doodrijden met 400 pk. Je kunt jezelf, met aanhanger, ook doodrijden met 200 pk. Er zijn plenty auto's op de weg met meer vermogen dan 'wellicht wenselijk' is voor aanhanger gebruik.

BTW: Denk je dat @satori inderdaad zelf de kickstarter is? Had daar nog niet over nagedacht.

Ik ga mee in je post (zal geen verassing zijn), maar heb bedenkingen waar je schrijft:

Je kunt jezelf, ook zonder aanhanger, prima doodrijden met 400 pk. Je kunt jezelf, met aanhanger, ook doodrijden met 200 pk. Er zijn plenty auto's op de weg met meer vermogen dan 'wellicht wenselijk' is voor aanhanger gebruik.

BTW: Denk je dat @satori inderdaad zelf de kickstarter is? Had daar nog niet over nagedacht.

Helemaal mee eens. Toch ben ik van mening dat 400pk + caravan (zonder dynamische bewaking) voor de doorsnee bestuurder een onevenredig risico vormt.

Overigens weet ik eigenlijk niet of Satori de starter is van de campagne

Ik kan prima heel rustig rijden met de M3. Zo moeilijk is dat toch echt niet.

Overigens hulde voor de tijd die je erin steekt!

Ik begrijp je punt. Neemt niet weg dat jij wellicht een ervaren bestuurder bent, maar genoeg mensen om mij heen zijn dat niet. In mijn full-time baan werk ik met voertuig dynamica, en bij zulke vermogens kan de noodzaak van een aangepast dynamisch programma simpelweg niet ontzien... helaas.

Helemaal mee eens. Toch ben ik van mening dat 400pk + caravan (zonder dynamische bewaking) voor de doorsnee bestuurder een onevenredig risico vormt.

Ik heb een vermoeden dat in ca. 3 sec. optrekken naar 100 km/u voor de gemiddelde fietsendrager met daarop 2 zware elektrische fietsen ook erg slecht afloopt. Ik zie ze al sukkelend op de rechterbaan af en toe al aardig heen en weer schudden :(

Ik begrijp dus heel goed dat je voor een vermogensbeperking bent in geval er iets aan/achter de auto hangt. Aan de andere kant zijn er genoeg voorbeelden in het leven waar er meer op het spel staat en er ook niet begrenst wordt -> voorbeeld motorfiets welke nog sneller kan optrekken met een geliefde achterop ;)

Ik lees hier 1200 kg, maar ergens anders stond -meen ik- 910 kg trekgewicht voor de model 3?
Eerste serie M3s en later M3s zonder trekhaak: 0 kg
Tweede serie M3s (mits voorzien van trekhaak): 910 kg
Laatste serie M3s (mits voorzien van trekhaak): 1000 kg

Door Satori wordt 1200 kg voor alle M3s beloofd, maar ik en een aantal anderen denken dat die belofte niet waargemaakt kan worden. Althans niet door degene die hem doet.

Ik heb een vermoeden dat in ca. 3 sec. optrekken naar 100 km/u voor de gemiddelde fietsendrager met daarop 2 zware elektrische fietsen ook erg slecht afloopt. Ik zie ze al sukkelend op de rechterbaan af en toe al aardig heen en weer schudden :(
Precies. Sukkelend op de rechterbaan. Dat kn gewoon, ook met 400 pk :) En met 200 pk kun je ook zo te keer gaan dat ze er vanzelf een keer aflazeren. Schijnveiligheid, als je het mij vraagt. Maar goed, iets van die strekking had ik al gezegd :oops:

Eerste serie M3s en later M3s zonder trekhaak: 0 kg
Tweede serie M3s (mits voorzien van trekhaak): 910 kg
Laatste serie M3s (mits voorzien van trekhaak): 1000 kg

Door Satori wordt 1200 kg voor alle M3s beloofd, maar ik en een aantal anderen denken dat die belofte niet waargemaakt kan worden. Althans niet door degene die hem doet.

Dan hebben we in ieder geval de juiste keuze gemaakt om geen trekhaak te nemen. 1000kg heb je net niets aan... Voorlopig de BMW er maar bij houden.

I have nothing to do with the provider of the hitch, I wanted to tell you the project only if that may be an option for you. It was not clear to me that the processes of authorization within the EU were handled differently. Also for us in Germany the solution without Tesla software is not optimal but legal.

Just to clarify the difference between the Netherlands and Germany (as far as I understand it). In Germany you can add a towhook to any car as long as you can show the construction is safe, and have that verified by TUV (or Dekra?). That's why there are ZOE's in Germany with a towhook. In the Netherlands the authorities (RDW) require that the manufacturer states that it is safe. If the manufacturer doesn'y want to play nice, you're basicallly done and can't add a hook. So you can export a ZOE to Germany, add a hook an reimport it, but you cannot add one over here. I don't think it's in the EU spirit, but that's how it is.

• Helpful
Reactions: nervus
Dat hebben wij ook gedaan en de Renault Zoe verkocht.
Grappig, bij ons gaat de ZOE ook de deur uit, maar komt de Tesla in de plaats van de C5 juist omat ie een trekhaak heeft.

Jij misschien niet. Maar ik had er heel wat voor over gehad om 1000 kg trekgewicht op mijn kenteken te hebben.

Precies. Op dag 2 dat we de Tesla hadden hing er een aanhanger met groenafval achter en lag de mestvork achterin. 1000kg is misschien niet genoeg voor een caravan of paardentrailer, maar prima voor bakjes rommel of bankstellen.

Nogmaals <BUMP>. Zijn er hoe dan ook nog berichten vanuit Tesla over dit onderwerp? Of is de petitie keurig verdwenen in de afgebeelde "archief-oplossing"?

recycle-bin-missing-fix.png