Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems odd to me that these reports are popping up just now. While I agree that FSD Beta phantom braking is still pretty atrocious, on the highway it almost never happens to me anymore. The vision-based approach has definitely improved with time.
The odd one for me is that is a spot on a highway by me in New Hampshire where the car violently phantom brakes EVERY SINGLE time. I've had the car for 30 months, probably drive on that highway once a month, and it happens every time. There's nothing that pops up on the screen because I look for false obstacles that the car might be seeing. I can't recall phantom braking at any other times since I've owned the car(33k miles).

The odd one for me is that is a spot on a highway by me in New Hampshire where the car violently phantom brakes EVERY SINGLE time. I've had the car for 30 months, probably drive on that highway once a month, and it happens every time. There's nothing that pops up on the screen because I look for false obstacles that the car might be seeing. I can't recall phantom braking at any other times since I've owned the car(33k miles).
PB at the exact same place every time could likely be a map issue, where the car thinks it's on a different road briefly.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Really? It happens in the middle of a 4 lane highway. That would be one strange spot to think I'm on a different road.
I wish I could report it to Tesla so they could look at it.

Is there an overpass, or a nearby parallel service road? I've seen it get both wrong on occasion.

Does it happen in all lanes, or only one specific one? (most often this would be the right lane)

Reactions: Dewg
Possibly, however if they rely on a GPS/Map system for the data and the system isn't reliably accurate then they have a TACC system that's fundamentally flawed.

If that's "fundamentally flawed" then- once again- this is not a unique Tesla problem, since LOTS of other systems work the same way- adjusting the TACC-equivalent speed based on some combo of camera-read or database-provided speed limits.

Is there an overpass, or a nearby parallel service road? I've seen it get both wrong on occasion.

Does it happen in all lanes, or only one specific one? (most often this would be the right lane)
There is no overpass or parallel road but there is an abundance of giant road signs overhead(1/2 mile down the road there's both a toll booth and an exit.
I'm always in lane 2 or 3 and it behaves the same. I'll mix up that variable next time.

My first post here: We just picked up our new Model 3 LR on February 26, 2022. Other than a loud rattle that will hopefully be fixed next week, we are having real problems with phantom braking in Autopilot and Adaptive Cruise Control. By constant, I mean 8 braking episodes in 20 miles. I've been on YouTube, have recalibrated my cameras, cleaned the lenses and everything else I can think of, but nothing works. I was expecting the occasional episode, but the regularity makes using these tools impossible. I'm running version 2021.43.102 and tech support says I wont be eligible for an update for 2 weeks.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

My first post here: We just picked up our new Model 3 LR on February 26, 2022. Other than a loud rattle that will hopefully be fixed next week, we are having real problems with phantom braking in Autopilot and Adaptive Cruise Control. By constant, I mean 8 braking episodes in 20 miles. I've been on YouTube, have recalibrated my cameras, cleaned the lenses and everything else I can think of, but nothing works. I was expecting the occasional episode, but the regularity makes using these tools impossible. I'm running version 2021.43.102 and tech support says I wont be eligible for an update for 2 weeks.

Sadly, at the moment it seems the only thing you can do is not use it or accept that you are going to have to be ready to hit the accelerator when using TACC.

Really hoping the recent investigations into this behavior will force Tesla to at least give us a dumb cruise control while they try and get this stuff working properly.

Reactions: Dcam

What road types are you using it on?

If you're getting 8 braking episodes in 20 miles on a divided freeway then something is clearly wrong with the system, and service needs to check it out.

If you're getting 8 braking episode in 20 miles on an undivided road then I thinks its very similar to other reports, and there isn't much you can do about it aside from not using it.

One thing to keep in mind when reading this thread is there is a lot of noise.

People that have FSD Beta who can't separate out the beta phantom braking versus the Tesla Vision Phantom braking
People that lump false automatic emergency braking in with the phantom braking we're referring to which is a completely different thing. False automatic braking events do happen, and lead to recalls. Nissan went through one, Honda is going through one. It happens. But, its a different beast than the annoying phantom braking the majority of us experience.
People that are way too lenient with expectations, and let Tesla off the hook when we should be pissed off. My requirement is less than 1 moderate phantom braking event per 1K miles. I think that's even a bit leniant because I can drive my Jeep Wrangler with adaptive cruise control for 10's of thousands of miles on divided roadways with zero phantom braking events. I don't tend to use adaptive cruise control on undivided roads because I just don't drive on that many for very long. Undivided roads have more chaos so a more lenient metric is probably needed, but certainly not 8 in 20 miles. That's just ridiculous.

I'm using 2022.4.5

Having really disconcerting attempt to stop mid freeway for no reason. No appearance of upcoming car, no overhead sign or wires, I believe it sees a wide white fog paint line about a foot wide as opposed to the standard 4 inches or whatever it is. That plus imagining forward-collision out of thin air the thing is creeping me out.

Just my two cents. I have had very few issues with phantom breaking using Auto Pilot or Adaptive Cruise Control on Interstate Highways in the two years that I have owned my 2020 MS LR Dual Motor. It really makes my 200 mile weekly trip to ski country in Maine more relaxed. The place that I do experience a lot of unwanted braking is using the Adaptive Cruise Control on two lane highways. I estimate it happens 3-4 times in 35 miles. It almost always occurs when I am going around a right hand turn and there is a car coming in the opposite direction. The ACC does not “see” the curve in the road and reacts as if the approaching car is in front of me instead of the car being in it’s own lane. So I don’t think of this phantom braking, it is really a problem with the software. My 2017 Audi A4 had no problem using ACC on this same road.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor
Again, it's not unique to Tesla, and many other brands have even more complaints, lawsuits, recalls, and attributed accidents over it.

it's inherent to all versions of active cruise control from all car makers. Some are worse than others, but existing data does not support the idea Teslas is one of those.

See the example from Nissan I posted just a couple posts above yours- significantly MORE complaints, plus reports of actual accidents (which Tesla had 0 of from the data) and on a smaller total fleet of vehicles.
Maybe not unique to Tesla but unique to new Tesla vehicles vs. those without lidar. Speaking from my own experience of having a 2018 M3 and recently ”upgrading” to a 2022 pure vision model, the problem is dramatic and scary. The possibility of getting rear-ended was never a concern with my old car.

• Informative
Reactions: sckor
I feel like I have got to the end of the line on the Phantom braking issue while using auto steer or cruise control. I bought my 22 m3lr 4 weeks ago and I have had issues with phantom braking every time I pass a truck on a 2 lane highway. I drove 300 to a service center to have Tesla work on the issue and after replacing a camera the problem continues. After Tesla looking into the issue they told me that this isn’t something that they will be able to rectify. Their suggestion for me was to step on the throttle when it happens and power through it. When I asked if I could just use normal cruise control they stated that this wouldn’t be possible. The suggest that if I continue to have these issues, that I should discontinue using any autopilot features or any auto steering. When I asked for them to refund me the $12k that I just paid for fsd they said there wasn’t anything that they can do for me. I understand that this software is in beta, but not being able to use cruse control is ridiculous. I have opened a case with the ntsb but I don’t know what else to do. This was my dream car and I want to still be excited about it but Tesla is starting to crush my faith in doing the right thing.

Reactions: COS Blue
...phantom braking every time I pass a truck..

Me too. I never had this problem until I switched to Pure Vision with my 2018 Model 3's radar disabled.

It's definitely a software quality problem.

I am sorry that you are now caught off guard with what "beta" is really like.

Traditionally, companies would test their products in-house first and by the time they collect your money, those products are consumer quality and not beta quality.

Tesla is not a traditional company because it collects your money for a product that is not even production ready: You have to pay $12,000 to experiment all the bugs.

Unfortunately, consumers are still paying to be Tesla beta testers so I am not sure what you can do about it.

Reactions: Sporty
I feel like I have got to the end of the line on the Phantom braking issue while using auto steer or cruise control. I bought my 22 m3lr 4 weeks ago and I have had issues with phantom braking every time I pass a truck on a 2 lane highway. I drove 300 to a service center to have Tesla work on the issue and after replacing a camera the problem continues. After Tesla looking into the issue they told me that this isn’t something that they will be able to rectify. Their suggestion for me was to step on the throttle when it happens and power through it. When I asked if I could just use normal cruise control they stated that this wouldn’t be possible. The suggest that if I continue to have these issues, that I should discontinue using any autopilot features or any auto steering. When I asked for them to refund me the $12k that I just paid for fsd they said there wasn’t anything that they can do for me. I understand that this software is in beta, but not being able to use cruse control is ridiculous. I have opened a case with the ntsb but I don’t know what else to do. This was my dream car and I want to still be excited about it but Tesla is starting to crush my faith in doing the right thing.
So, they're saying all the hardware, is functioning and adjusted properly; and that the issue is software? If you believe them, then I might consider just pressing the accelerator as I approached a semi, as they suggested.

What's your lemon law in your state? Are others on vision-based cars having this issue? I think I read there's an investigation going on.