Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hm... i cant edit my posts with a free account- oh well...

it appears that the ashp setup is a vrf inverter driven one so the compressor rpms vary depending on load and setpoints. what i have observed is that upon start the compressor is running at full tilt but the vibrations are somewhat masked by the algorithm that throttles compressor rpms based on vehicle road speed- for example if you come to a stop as the compressor is running hard it will slow down to minimize vibrations. some compressors are vibration free, others vibrate a bit and some vibrate a lot. a combination of bushing stiffness, compressor rotating assembly balance and ... the phase of the moon results in the steering vibration being unique for every vehicle.

i imagine tesla runs the compressor at 100% initially to bring the cabin up/down to setpoint temp as quickly as possible. maybe there should be an option for more "lax" setpoint targeting that does not spin up to compressor as aggressively in the beginning, but reaches set point slower and vibration free

If this is the case, wouldn't preheating the vehicle cause a reduction in the amount of vibration? Has anyone tested that yet?

I saw a toolbox article on that saying to check the rear motor mount on the front motor passenger side check for loose bolt ..also AC compressor mount bolts being loose also can cause wired intermittent vibrations

since the front of both the long range and the plaid are the same and same AC compressor, but the Long range doesn’t have this issue, can we rule those out?

If this is the case, wouldn't preheating the vehicle cause a reduction in the amount of vibration? Has anyone tested that yet?
i do believe the ashp is used also to condition the coolant for the battery. as such cabin setpoint vs ambient temp is just one side of the demand with battery coolant setpoint vs ambient being the other (far more demanding).

tesla just needs to learn to control better their ashp- pages from fujitsu and mitsubishi textbooks need to be read ;)

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Picked up my 2023 MXP a couple weeks ago and noticed the temporary vibration in the yoke and pedals during acceleration at the beginning of each drive after the car sits for an hour or so. The vibration kicks in around 35mph. It goes away within a minute or two of each drive seemingly when the motors warm up. A mild vibration and hum feels like it's from the front of the car and can make your ears pop with noise canceling on. I'll try driving in Chill mode as others suggest. Is it worth scheduling a service appt or is there simply no fix at the moment?

Picked up my 2023 MXP a couple weeks ago and noticed the temporary vibration in the yoke and pedals during acceleration at the beginning of each drive after the car sits for an hour or so. The vibration kicks in around 35mph. It goes away within a minute or two of each drive seemingly when the motors warm up. A mild vibration and hum feels like it's from the front of the car and can make your ears pop with noise canceling on. I'll try driving in Chill mode as others suggest. Is it worth scheduling a service appt or is there simply no fix at the moment?
No fix. Don’t waste your time. Doubt there ever will be, either. Welcome to Tesla ownership! 😅

Reactions: jacie6056
I would ask service to disable the front motor and then test drive it ..or if you have toolbox3 you can perform that test yourself

Here in Germany we are having the same issues with nearly all new delivered MSP and MXP.
My MXP has it also. Seems to be worse when it‘s cold.

As you in the US having this issue since a longer time. Did Tesla come up with a fix or outlook when to fix it?

The steering and rumble vibration definitely seems to be worse in the colder weather. For me it’s the same duration of time warm or cold, about 2 min of driving until the car warms up, then it’s smooth as silk.

Last edited:
This is interesting thread. I also have noticed strange vibration when i start driving and then it fades away a little bit.
And it is from 30-50 mph (50-80 kmh). It gets better after hmmm 5-10 minutes.

But i also have different huge issue.
I have loud clicking sound when i turn my steering wheel to any of the side but more at the right side, and then when i drive backwards.
It happens also when i drive forward and turn steering wheel right or left but it is much quieter.
Then when i accelerate towards fast i also have some vibrations and also some clicking sound.
This is Model X Plaid 2022 - i have it like 2 weeks and it is happening from the beginning.

1. Anyone knows if i can normally drive or should i not drive at all and wait for service ?
2. Do you know guys if mobile service can solve this (is it some simple repair or major one ?)

This is interesting thread. I also have noticed strange vibration when i start driving and then it fades away a little bit.

I have loud clicking sound when i turn my steering wheel to any of the side but more at the right side, and then when i drive backwards.
It happens also when i drive forward and turn steering wheel right or left but it is much quieter.
Then when i accelerate towards fast i also have some vibrations and also some clicking sound.
This is Model X Plaid 2022 - i have it like 2 weeks and it is happening from the beginning.

1. Anyone knows if i can normally drive or should i not drive at all and wait for service ?
2. Do you know guys if mobile service can solve this (is it some simple repair or major one ?)
Not normal, not related to this thread at all. You'll want to bring it in to regular service, as I doubt mobile can help you out here.

Not normal, schedule a service appointment

again - the rumble at start and shortly after is the inverter spinning the compressor for the ashp to 100% to quickly bring up to temp the coolant for the battery as well as for cabin hvac (but my experience is that the battery conditioning is far more pronounced vibration- wise). the colder the harder and longer it will spin. also it appears the inverter is vehicle speed-aware so it doesnt spin up the compressor when the car is not moving as movement masks the vibrations and vice versa. tesla knows the vibrations are noticeable and is trying to mask them. what doesnt help is that during colder weather the compressor bushings are harder so vibrations through the steering are more noticeable.