Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine is getting worse with more mileage. I first noticed it around 5,000 kms,. now i have 16,000kms and it is more noticeable. They keep telling me it normal....BS
This is certainly not good news and unfortunate (especially for those who are not experiencing this phenomenon).if the vibration is also mile or wear related.
Just to remove one possible (and unlikely) data point, have you reached the point of needing a new set of tires?

Last edited:
OK so here's an update on my car, but first, a background:

2021 Model S Plaid. Suspension left in "Medium" since day 1. Vibration appeared around 1200 miles, and was damn annoying. That car has not been in my ownership since around 3k miles, for numerous reasons.

Now, conventional wisdom suggests that setting the car to "Low" reduces the vibration. After all, the aftermarket links set to a lower setting that "Low" seem to reduce the vibration to a great degree, and after having driven @jebinc Plaid, I agree. Anyway, as soon as I got my new 2022 S Plaid, I set the suspension straight to Low, in the hopes this might mitigate the vibration to some degree.

Nope. Within 50 miles, vibrating on my June 2022 Plaid is even worse than my 2021 S Plaid, what the heck?

Anyway, today, - nearly 700 miles later, I'm on a drive and the vibration between 35-50mph is annoying the heck out of me. Yes, I can still make it go away completely by using Track Mode and full rear bias. But today, as I was driving, I flicked the suspension to "Medium" and the vibration was reduced by I'd say... ~80-85%. I can live with this! Now, to make sure I wasn't imagining it I found a long inclined road and drove up at 41mph (the worst vibration speed for me under very slight load to maintain this speed) at "Low" suspension setting, vibrating, and then switched to "Medium" suspension while doing so, and goodness me, - the vibration really is near gone. What on earth? I repeated this test over a 40-minute drive, and each time it was easy to confirm, since there's nothing you change other than tapping a button on the screen while cruising at ~40mph or gently accelerating from 35mph-50mph (my most noticeable vibration zones). Medium->Low->Medium->Low over and over. Really noticeable vibration at Low, and huuuugely minimized at Medium.

What does this mean? Well, given lowering the suspension is meant to reduce the occurrence of vibration, why in my case is raising it having this effect?

Speculation #1: Tesla is aware of the problem, and while they can't solve it without significant redesign, with the newer 2022s has adjusted the geometry in the suspension/shafts/motors (some/all of these?) to "move" vibration at the "Low" setting, but but to reduce it at the "Medium" setting - the setting the car comes to as default, and I suspect the setting that most owners would prefer to drive their car in. Absolutely this is 100% speculation, but if I had a choice of vibration at "Low" or "Medium," I'd take "Low" vibration, since "Medium" is my preferred ride height.

Speculation #2: This was a software update, somehow... - effecting all Plaids, 2021 and 2022.

Can anyone here, especially with a recent 2022 Model S Plaid - test to see if they notice any vibration difference in Medium and Low suspension settings? This would be really useful information! For reference, I'm on 2022.20.7. I'm going out again later today, and I'll make sure that my findings are still consistent from one drive to the next.

@Muzzman1

OK so here's an update on my car, but first, a background:

2021 Model S Plaid. Suspension left in "Medium" since day 1. Vibration appeared around 1200 miles, and was damn annoying. That car has not been in my ownership since around 3k miles, for numerous reasons.

Now, conventional wisdom suggests that setting the car to "Low" reduces the vibration. After all, the aftermarket links set to a lower setting that "Low" seem to reduce the vibration to a great degree, and after having driven @jebinc Plaid, I agree. Anyway, as soon as I got my new 2022 S Plaid, I set the suspension straight to Low, in the hopes this might mitigate the vibration to some degree.

Nope. Within 50 miles, vibrating on my June 2022 Plaid is even worse than my 2021 S Plaid, what the heck?

Anyway, today, - nearly 700 miles later, I'm on a drive and the vibration between 35-50mph is annoying the heck out of me. Yes, I can still make it go away completely by using Track Mode and full rear bias. But today, as I was driving, I flicked the suspension to "Medium" and the vibration was reduced by I'd say... ~80-85%. I can live with this! Now, to make sure I wasn't imagining it I found a long inclined road and drove up at 41mph (the worst vibration speed for me under very slight load to maintain this speed) at "Low" suspension setting, vibrating, and then switched to "Medium" suspension while doing so, and goodness me, - the vibration really is near gone. What on earth? I repeated this test over a 40-minute drive, and each time it was easy to confirm, since there's nothing you change other than tapping a button on the screen while cruising at ~40mph or gently accelerating from 35mph-50mph (my most noticeable vibration zones). Medium->Low->Medium->Low over and over. Really noticeable vibration at Low, and huuuugely minimized at Medium.

What does this mean? Well, given lowering the suspension is meant to reduce the occurrence of vibration, why in my case is raising it having this effect?

Speculation #1: Tesla is aware of the problem, and while they can't solve it without significant redesign, with the newer 2022s has adjusted the geometry in the suspension/shafts/motors (some/all of these?) to "move" vibration at the "Low" setting, but but to reduce it at the "Medium" setting - the setting the car comes to as default, and I suspect the setting that most owners would prefer to drive their car in. Absolutely this is 100% speculation, but if I had a choice of vibration at "Low" or "Medium," I'd take "Low" vibration, since "Medium" is my preferred ride height.

Speculation #2: This was a software update, somehow... - effecting all Plaids, 2021 and 2022.

Can anyone here, especially with a recent 2022 Model S Plaid - test to see if they notice any vibration difference in Medium and Low suspension settings? This would be really useful information! For reference, I'm on 2022.20.7. I'm going out again later today, and I'll make sure that my findings are still consistent from one drive to the next.

@Muzzman1
Need some folks to test this one out!

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
It could mean that you have worn the half-shaft joints in the low position and moving to the medium position moves to a different section of the joint. If that is the case the vibration would likely get worse as you drive more miles on medium.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and aerodyne
It could mean that you have worn the half-shaft joints in the low position and moving to the medium position moves to a different section of the joint. If that is the case the vibration would likely get worse as you drive more miles on medium.

Interesting idea. Perhaps? What's odd is that I vividly recall trying Medium when the vibration was bad in Low, not long after I got the car, and the vibration was as identical as I could tell... Time will tell, I suppose.

Also, half shafts aren't even for sure the reason? Some have had their half shafts replaced and the vibration was then worse, for... whatever reason.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Model S LR, changing Suspension to Medium nearly eliminates the 35-48mph vibration but still some growl at 65+

When I travel on the highway the car sets itself back to Low. Any way to address this? I have "Default Ride Height to Low" disabled.

Model S LR, changing Suspension to Medium nearly eliminates the 35-48mph vibration but still some growl at 65+

When I travel on the highway the car sets itself back to Low. Any way to address this? I have "Default Ride Height to Low" disabled.
Yep samesies here. At 74mph I can feel the resonance in the car.

Unfortunately the car will drop to Low suspension height for economy once it gets to highway speed, and will revert to medium once you hit a low mph threshold (which isn’t consistent from one deceleration to the next).

Reactions: jebinc
I have an upcoming service appointment early next week for unrelated issues (Rattle in door panel, Steering wheel replacement & Shifter buttons replacement). I don't want to mess with adding more stuff to the appointment, which would push it out further & i really want this stuff done.

Immediately after that appointment I will make a service request here in Central Ohio to see if they'll take a look at the drive train & see if I get any different results.

I've noticed the vibration in my car since day one (2022 Model S that's a month old with 2000 miles now on it). It's still smoother than my other cars, but I'm not excited to hear that it might get worse...

As I was reading this Autopian article with the guy gloating about the Model S suspension, I couldn't help but wonder if it's also responsible for the shimmy. :) Most likely not, as it sounds like the vibration is only in the newer cars? I'm still learning how the Model S suspension has changed over the years.

Out in California and have a rental 2021 Plaid. Vibrating the same as my own 2022. Sad.

Attachments

• E473C912-CBCF-447B-80E7-03B995296C81.jpeg
    E473C912-CBCF-447B-80E7-03B995296C81.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 167