Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gosh, I guess we're supposed to be scared of what Porsche is gonna release in late-2019 (any article used the cliche 'Tesla-killer' yet? :)), but it feels more like catch-up time from the big German lux-car makers. Who, if you've been reading the press, have been publicly freaking out about Tesla lately.

The Mission E will probably be up against a redesigned Model S when it finally does arrive, or a more-refined version of the current MS. So I'm not especially concerned, esp. considering that Porsche and others getting into the segment with both feet further legitimizes the EV segment.

The one thing that gives me a little pause is the Mission E's 300-mile range. Between that and Tesla's own Model 3 getting 310 miles (w/the LR battery pack), seems like it's about time for any sub-300 mile range Model S SKUs to go the way of the dodo... as in extinct. :oops:

Not sure if the price given has been confirmed by Porsche , but if they make it happen Tesla will finally have true competition for the S.
I'll believe it when I see it. After years of hoping for some competition for Tesla I'm really skeptical. I know they have funding and a factory but still - when I can sign on the line and take one home I'll believe in it. Now let's just hope it's compatible with Tesla's supercharger network.

It's great, EV is still about 1% of all car sales, there are plenty of market for manufactures to produce premium luxury EVs.
When Porsche introduce Panamera, it didn't kill S class or 7 series, so I'm looking forward for more selections.
There are just too many S ans X in my neighborhood, I stop counting after seeing dozens of Tesla driving around everyday.

It's a Porsche. Need to add $20k to $30k for options at least!

But this will apparently have track worthy handling and sustained performance, like modern Porsches. Also like modern Porsches, interior quality should be very high.

IMG_0023.PNG

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong…

But isn’t the Mission E supposed to be at least one size smaller than a Model S and instead similar to an Audi A5 Sportback in size?

And as I remember it, aren’t Porsche going to use a so called ’topographical’ battery structure allowing the driver seat to placed directly on the floor of the car instead of on top of the battery as in the Model S and Model 3?

Will these two design choices not be physically favorable compared to at least the Model S allowing for a smaller, lighter and more nimble car where the driving position is lower to the ground.

Compared to the Model 3 the Mission E will perhaps only have the lower seating position as an advantage.

That said – Tesla’s advantages are at least their charging infrastructure and the fact that Tesla is all about advancing the shift to sustainable personal transportation. And for me, that will go a very, very, very long way when it comes down to which car I’ll choose.

Full disclosure: When I get an EV, it will probably be the Model 3 since I have a ~320.000 Model 3 reservation, which should mean that it will be available to me long before the Mission E. And I probably won’t be able to financially afford a Mission E anyways…

Reactions: kbM3
Correct me if I’m wrong…

But isn’t the Mission E supposed to be at least one size smaller than a Model S and instead similar to an Audi A5 Sportback in size?

And as I remember it, aren’t Porsche going to use a so called ’topographical’ battery structure allowing the driver seat to placed directly on the floor of the car instead of on top of the battery as in the Model S and Model 3?

Will these two design choices not be physically favorable compared to at least the Model S allowing for a smaller, lighter and more nimble car where the driving position is lower to the ground.

Compared to the Model 3 the Mission E will perhaps only have the lower seating position as an advantage.

That said – Tesla’s advantages are at least their charging infrastructure and the fact that Tesla is all about advancing the shift to sustainable personal transportation. And for me, that will go a very, very, very long way when it comes down to which car I’ll choose.

Full disclosure: If I get an EV, it will probably be the Model 3 since I have a ~320.000 Model 3 reservation, which should mean that it will be available to me long before the Mission E. And I probably won’t be able to financially afford a Mission E anyways…

If Mission-E is a similar size to the Panamera, then it'll be a similar size to the MS and not an A5.

If you're in Europe, you might not be able to get either the Model 3 or Mission-E until 2019.

Pricing wise, Mission-E is going to be at least 2x to Model 3. Totally different vehicle segments.

Hold on a sec. Tesla nationwide supercharging in 3 years. Why couldn't Porsche do it as fast or faster?

Because they haven't pulled a permit to date and it seems highly unlikely they will do so anytime in the foreseeable future.

By the time they do, let's see how long it takes to catch up to Tesla. Tesla doesn't go our "nationwide" yet, but it will soon. The day I can drive across Canada with banks of Porsche fast chargers equivalent to Tesla, I'll be looking at Porsche too, or any other automaker that does that. I just hope I'm alive to see it.

But something tells me they will do what Nissan and everyone else does, which is to tell you to rely on dealerships or public chargers. No thanks.

I believe that in the US the Panamera base price is about $78,000

Porsche All Porsche Models - Porsche USA

It is really simple going to Porsche's USA website and see the base price is $85k.

At least in LA , good luck finding one on a dealer lot for less than a $100k.

Whereas you can order a $70k Model S and have it delivered to your local Tesla service center in a couple of weeks.

Shortly after Mission E debuts we should have a Model S 2.0.

Vs an unproven platform from a company with very little BEV experience.

Plus if you buy from Porsche, you are buying from VW AG that is a convicted felon in the US.

Trustworthy?

I personally think the Mission E looks absolutely beautiful. If the production version is even in the neighborhood of this concept, they have a winner.

I also may be in the minority, but I see real competition for Tesla as a good thing. They need outside pressure to keep innovating. Mission E strikes me as a solid competitor in either the Roadster 2.0 or Performance variation Tesla space.

Certainly it will be a few years before actual close alternatives to Tesla exist, and the Supercharger network is a legitimate advantage that other companies will have to deal with. But having this competition means things like Autopilot or FSD will be crucial to maintain Teslas market leader role, meaning more work will be put into these programs. It's really good for everyone.

Lastly, (gasp), not everyone wants a S, 3, or X. Folks who would otherwise buy a polluting ICE will be reached by new alternatives. One of my lifetime best friends fits this category. He likes my S but really wants a true sports car. The Mission E would draw in a new EV owner who may otherwise be getting a Hellcat or something that just turns oil into noise, smoke, and a mess for our kids to deal with.

Reactions: CalDreamin and svp6
He likes my S but really wants a true sports car. The Mission E would draw in a new EV owner who may otherwise be getting a Hellcat or something that just turns oil into noise, smoke, and a mess for our kids to deal with.

Mission E will not be any more a sports car than an S P100D.

Mission E will not be competing against S 1.0 or 1.5 but S 2.0.

An electric 911 would be a true sports car. But Porsche has ruled that out.

I don't think Tesla is innovating slower than it could be.

With true competition Tesla couldn't dictate so easily to customers what it will get and can't get.

Like leather seating surfaces. Or cooled seats. Or instrument clusters.

Or Black, Metallic Black, Dark Grey, Electric Blue,Silver,Dark Silver, Pearl White or Red.

Did you guys see how slow it is going to be though? An electric Porsche with a 0-60 time of only 3.5 seconds? Why would they make it so slow? Any serious electric sports car (including a sport sedan) has to start at a sub 3.0 second 0-60 time to be taken seriously. It is like they are afraid to make it faster than their ICE options.

Did you guys see how slow it is going to be though? An electric Porsche with a 0-60 time of only 3.5 seconds? Why would they make it so slow? Any serious electric sports car (including a sport sedan) has to start at a sub 3.0 second 0-60 time to be taken seriously. It is like they are afraid to make it faster than their ICE options.

We don't know if 3.5s 0-60 is for the base model or the top end model. Could be it's for the base and a Mission-E Turbo would be sig. faster to 60. But it could also be that they don't want to make it faster than their 911s, which top out at a ~2.7s 0-60.

Where the Mission-E should shine is handling and sustained performance. Plus a high quality interior IMO.

Reactions: 30seconds

The Mission E is one of the better looking EV designs from a legacy manufacturer IMO. Most other manufacturers intentionally make their EVs look "different" (usually ugly) to avoid cannibalization of their higher profit ICE cars.

If the production car looks similar to the current version and the price point is as currently advertised, my guess is that Porsche will hold back performance on the Mission E to avoid cannibalizing higher profit Panamera and 911 sales in the same way they currently do with the Boxster/Cayman versus the 911. Would love to be proven wrong but don't think I will be.

These ICE car makers need to get it out of their heads that electric cars are on the same playing field as ICE. Electric is much easier to go faster and intentionally putting out a product that is slower than competitors like Tesla is going to handicap their competitiveness from the start.

Reactions: EinSV
These ICE car makers need to get it out of their heads that electric cars are on the same playing field as ICE. Electric is much easier to go faster and intentionally putting out a product that is slower than competitors like Tesla is going to handicap their competitiveness from the start.
What is porsche's biggest selling car in US? What is it's base 0-60 time? Hint: twice 2.5 seconds. The % of Porsche marque buyers who are really looking for the ultimate drag strip time is tiny. There's plenty of room in market for a sexy $100k Porsche EV with 3.5 sec acceleration.

I'm more concerned that the company is not serious. They won't train US dealers in all states to service eGolf, they have no charging infrastructure. They have the wherewithal to do it, do they have the will?

What is porsche's biggest selling car in US? What is it's base 0-60 time? Hint: twice 2.5 seconds. The % of Porsche marque buyers who are really looking for the ultimate drag strip time is tiny. There's plenty of room in market for a sexy $100k Porsche EV with 3.5 sec acceleration.

I'm more concerned that the company is not serious. They won't train US dealers in all states to service eGolf, they have no charging infrastructure. They have the wherewithal to do it, do they have the will?

They don't have the will because the company will lose money on every customer that buys a Mission E instead of a Panamera or 911. SUVs like the Macan (I assume that's the US best seller you are referring to) or Cayenne are probably less relevant to the Mission E but the principle is the same. For example, a Mercedes exec recently estimated that profit margins on their EVs would initially be 50% less than ICE for some models and wouldn't reach parity until 2025. Daimler Exec Says Electric Cars Only Half As Profitable As Conventional Cars … At First

So even though the legacy car companies are starting to realize that the world is shifting to EVs over the long term, they haven't made the necessary investments to bring costs down (unlike Tesla). So for the foreseeable future they have no incentive to sell EVs to their existing customers. They can try to target customers who have already decided to go EV or perhaps customers of other brands. But that's a tough tightrope to walk and in any case they make more money selling ICE vehicles, so that's the priority. I don't see that changing any time soon, unfortunately.

Reactions: sdorn