Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way you would be able to get a GTS for 110k... Maybe base but by the time you add everything up your probably looking at 140k at least. That's assuming they structure the pricing similar to the Panamera. Which has the same starting base price so I would think they would add up very similarly. Though 4S start at 110k so I doubt they will price it lower than a Panamera or out perform it at a lower price point with the mission E. They can't kill their other segments just like they do with Caymans they limit their performance so it doesn't but up against the 911s.

Maybe I was optimistic with the 110, just be happy there will be choices, choices with real leather dammit. And leather on the air vents if I please

The one thing that gives me a little pause is the Mission E's 300-mile range. Between that and Tesla's own Model 3 getting 310 miles (w/the LR battery pack), seems like it's about time for any sub-300 mile range Model S SKUs to go the way of the dodo... as in extinct. :oops:
I'm pretty sure the ~300 miles of range estimate for the Mission E was based on NEDC. The Bolt EV has a NEDC estimate of 323 miles (520 km) but it's EPA is a mere 238 miles.

The EPA and NEDC test cycles are, of course, different and so different cars are better tuned for the requirements of one or the other. Thus, you can't mechanically transform the Mission E's NEDC estimate to an EPA estimate based on the Bolt's NEDC to EPA ratio but it should be roughly similar. Let's say 225-250 miles EPA.

From the article, it's not slated to go into production until late '19 and final design of the car has not even been set. I find it suspect that they can set a starting price for then car so early in the design phase.

LOL -- I remember a certain CEO setting a $35K price for a vehicle when it was less far along than the Mission E. Porsche has had a large team working on this for quite awhile.

I'd be more worried if they announced an EV variant of the Macan. Have no idea why they wouldn't have jumped to the SUVs given that they sell alot more of the Cayenne/ Macan than anything else.

Porsche is still shooting late on a moving target. By late '19 the Y will be announced & preorders rolling in.

I would not categorize as that. First is clearly a Tesla "homer". That's to be expected on a Tesla forum. The last two are substantiated ethical objections to the company.

Members of this forum have seen dozens of Tesla competitors announced and none brought to market. Skepticism is warranted. Yet I'm seeing that most posters in this thread are fine with it and hopeful Porsche follows through.

Maybe I was optimistic with the 110, just be happy there will be choices, choices with real leather dammit. And leather on the air vents if I please

That will be $2,510 please.

IMG_0030.jpg

Why so much hostility and angst in this thread? I thought a new capable EV is good news. I could not care less who makes the car if it is high quality and fun to drive....

I think more EV choices is a good thing, I just wish they wouldn't handicap it with intentionally reduced performance to avoid cannibalizing ICE sales.

Reactions: EinSV
tomas said:
What hostility and angst?
How about these below?

"Gosh, I guess we're supposed to be scared of what Porsche is gonna release in late-2019"
Geez, really? THAT'S your idea of 'hostility and angst'? Noting that Porsche's big, bad MS-competitor doesn't even come out for 2 1/2 years?

Excuse me for having some perspective. :rolleyes:

Note that in that same post (#41), I also said the following:

FutureShock: "...Porsche and others getting into the segment with both feet further legitimizes the EV segment."

Does it sound to you like I don't want them in the EV segment? 'Cuz I do, actually. I just think they're getting a bit too much hype for an EV johnny-come-lately, that's all. Earning true EV cred takes time. Tesla's been working at it for 14 years now.

"Plus if you buy from Porsche, you are buying from VW AG that is a convicted felon in the US."
"Trust the specs of Porsche? Really? After they built an entire diesel segment industry out of lies?"

Oh, and how are the above comments from others 'hostile or angst'-y? Looks like you're batting 0-for-3 now.

The VW Group, Porsche's parent company, really DID do those bad things that are now referred to as 'Dieselgate'. And they involved not only VW-branded vehicles, but some Porsche-branded ones as well.

I don't think that should bar any of us from ever buying a Porsche EV or VW EV (presumably they can't cheat on the emissions of THOSE, lol), but, it really did happen, yes.

So why is others noting reality such a problem for you? I mean, wow. Even if I was borderline 'angst-y', I'd apparently have nothing on you. o_O

Cheers.

Last edited:
a Mercedes exec recently estimated that profit margins on their EVs would initially be 50% less than ICE for some models and wouldn't reach parity until 2025.

good point. And demonstrates why it may be harder for legacy manufacturers to innovate and sell those innovations at the expense of short-term profits whereas startups like Tesla can sacrifice short-term profits and make long-term cap ex investments --- that's a typical startup business plan, but hard for mature businesses to report years of lower margins and earnings during such a transition.

I think Kodak faced a similar problem where they had lots of electronic imaging technology but they just couldn't market and sell it at the expense of their legacy film technology profits until they woke up one day and realized nobody wants film anymore.

which Legacy car manufacturers can avoid going the way of Kodak and Smith Corona etc.?

Last edited:
I think the Mission e could be a quite relevant competitor to the top spec Model 3. By the end of next year, you can probably buy a long range dual motor performance Model 3 with air suspension and upgraded interior for something like 70k USD.

The Model 3 will likely be faster and have a longer range, while the Porsche will likely have a better interior and it might charge faster. The Model 3 looks like it will be able to seat one more person and it will likely be able to carry more luggage, so on the utility-side it should be better. The Porsche should handle better.

Overall I think they could be fairly comparable. The Porsche with more style and track-ability, and the Model 3 with more sensible utility and practicality. The ~15k USD premium should be acceptable for some, who want something less common than a Model 3, and the Porsche logo.

I think the Mission e could be a quite relevant competitor to the top spec Model 3. By the end of next year, you can probably buy a long range dual motor performance Model 3 with air suspension and upgraded interior for something like 70k USD.

The Model 3 will likely be faster and have a longer range, while the Porsche will likely have a better interior and it might charge faster. The Model 3 looks like it will be able to seat one more person and it will likely be able to carry more luggage, so on the utility-side it should be better. The Porsche should handle better.

Overall I think they could be fairly comparable. The Porsche with more style and track-ability, and the Model 3 with more sensible utility and practicality. The ~15k USD premium should be acceptable for some, who want something less common than a Model 3, and the Porsche logo.

You'll have to add at least ~$15k for options to the Mission-E if it's anything like current Porsches. Doubt many Mission-E's will sell for less than $100k even in base model form. More a Model S competitor tbh.

Initial reviews on Model 3 handling are impressive -- Motor Trend compared it favorably with the best ICEs in the class. Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Porsche Mission E may have a serious challenge ahead competing with the Model 3 P on that front. I wouldn't automatically assume the Mission E will handle better.

Last edited:
How about these below?

"Gosh, I guess we're supposed to be scared of what Porsche is gonna release in late-2019"
"Plus if you buy from Porsche, you are buying from VW AG that is a convicted felon in the US."
"Trust the specs of Porsche? Really? After they built an entire diesel segment industry out of lies?"
I might add: wasn’t their namesake a Nazi ?

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
Trust the specs of Porsche? Really? After they built an entire diesel segment industry out of lies?

I guess you are being sarcastic. Anyway, you are talking about the wrong company, as others have mentioned. Responsibility for the Diesel scandal goes to VW, courtesy of Audi. Porsche just happens to be using the same engines on some of their models. Though I have yet to see a Diesel 911 ;)

We've owned a number of Porsche's. One thing they all had in common. High maintenance costs.

So, just like Tesla then. :p

This must be some new usage of present tense that I wasn't aware off.

"It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that."
(This gem courtesy of Arnold Rimmer - Red Dwarf episode "Future Echoes"). :)

Last edited: