Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades. Mind you, I’m glad there is finally some good competition, but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.

The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades. Mind you, I’m glad there is finally some good competition, but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.

I like my Model 3, but I am pretty sure the Taycan's driving dynamic will be better than Model 3. If Taycan comes close or exceed Panamera driving dynamics, then it's in a league of its own.

What about a comparison with the new Roadster? That is probably a fairer comparison and though we know very little about the Roadster's specs, it is about the same size as the Model 3 (estimated wheelbase and width is the same) and it has very impressive launch numbers. Tesla did quite a bit with the Model 3 Performance to improve the track characteristics over the Model S. That tech will probably find its way into the Roadster.

The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades.
Why not wait until we know the hard facts about the Taycan? We already know a few things. E.g. the dual-motor version shown in the video supposedly has significantly more power than a Model 3 (~600hp) as well as a 2-speed transmission, which will probably result in significantly higher top-end acceleration. I also don't believe that Tesla will ever match Porsche in terms of handling. If interior room was that important for potential Porsche customers there wouldn't be a 911 today. And the CCS charger coverage in Europe is quite good already and will be reasonable in the US too by the time the Taycan is delivered. Then (speculation) the Porsche will likely have immaculate build quality (which can't be said about any Tesla), and the sensors on the front bumper of the prototypes (one of which looks suspiciously like the lidar on the Audi A8) give a hint that the car will have ADAS capabilities.
but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.
Yes. Any P3D owner up for trying 30 full-throttle launches?

Reactions: rwjr44
The joy of advanced autopilot + Supercharging network Vs. better handling "feel" and extended track performance.. Buyers going to have a choice.

Believe the comparable Model 3 will sell vastly more than this Taycan.

Model S in a different league/market.
Don't forget the much better interior. Some will buy the Taycan just for that reason just like some buy a 911 over a Corvette. To some a nice interior is worth the $20k plus difference in price.

Love the subliminal 9:11 on the sports chrono:

EDIT 1: The time in the center console display also shows 9:11...nice!

high_apple_music_built_in_taycan_2019_porsche_ag_rights_k7_music_.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
More detailed information from Electrek: Porsche unveils the interior of Taycan electric car - Electrek

It looks similar to the original Mission E interior with the screen extending to the passenger part of the car and the center console screen.

However, the passenger screen is optional. If you don’t order it, you only get the 10.9-inch center dashboard display.

The center console screen is a 8.4-inch touch panel with haptic feedback and it’s where you can access the climate controls and the seat settings.

9:11 am on the center-right IC... :cool: