Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential BOLT customers being suctioned up by Tesla !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm usually not one to stir the pot of rivalry or mock competition because both rivalry and competition are good for us consumers...

That being said, I am a Tesla fan through and through and found it very interesting that the first result on YouTube for "Chevy Bolt" is the one recent review (done by The Verge).

The video has nearly 170,000 views, where the Tesla Model 3 has 276,000 customer reservations. (As of Sunday April 3rd, according to Elon on Twitter) Upon further inspection, not a single video on the Bolt has as many views as the M3 has $1000 reservations.

I'm usually not one to stir the pot of rivalry or mock competition because both rivalry and competition are good for us consumers...

That being said, I am a Tesla fan through and through and found it very interesting that the first result on YouTube for "Chevy Bolt" is the one recent review (done by The Verge).

The video has nearly 170,000 views, where the Tesla Model 3 has 276,000 customer reservations. (As of Sunday April 3rd, according to Elon on Twitter) Upon further inspection, not a single video on the Bolt has as many views as the M3 has $1000 reservations.

In addition, I would note that Elon as the CEO of Tesla , with 5 kids, on a Sunday no less, after all the work that went into the Model 3 unveil, personally responded to customers, and potential customers with 41 personal tweets.

Name me a single auto industry, or another CEO ( even Steve Jobs, Larry Page, Tim Cook or Bill Gates, etc ) who has ever sent out 41 tweets to as many people personally answering their questions.

And, the guy does Space X on the side ( and Solar City in his sleep or while driving LOL ), Hyperloop as his hobby, and is already worth over $10 Billion !

I say this is about people see in Elon Musk and what he has accomplished as an engineer. It is because they know that he is personally involved in the details. He cares and he is changing the world. Just like Steve Jobs...only better in some ways.

Last edited:
BTW - For those who claim the Spark EV does not exist, go drive one. Impressive little car at a disposable price. Drive it until it needs tires, then donate it to a worthy cause. It's what a Leaf should have been.

I would (assuming for a moment I didn't hate GM), but it turns out that I'm not in a state considered worthy of GM's EV cause. No CARB credits in Ohio!

Saying things like go drive a Spark just exemplifies the disgust many in this community have with GM. GM willingly restricts where they sell their cars, while Tesla has to fight tooth and nail to sell/service in every state that they do now.

Every Bolt purchased is more money for GM to lobby against Tesla's direct sale model. People buying Bolts and Volts may possibly be hurting the EV movement more than they help it. While I don't see enough political dirty tricks to stop Tesla at this point, stifling Tesla will hurt the EV movement far more than not buying GM's compliance cars.

Every Bolt purchased is more money for GM to lobby against Tesla's direct sale model. People buying Bolts and Volts may possibly be hurting the EV movement more than they help it.
Possibly, and I see that angle. But I will argue that every person who gets the opportunity to drive an EV with a reasonable range will probably have a hard time going back to an ICE. That's not a Tesla-specific statement, though I do think Tesla probably has a stronger conversion rate. So yeah, GM makes some cash on what might be a compliance car (I'm not necessarily convinced that's the case), but it also awakens consumers to the benefits of driving an EV.

People buying Bolts and Volts may possibly be hurting the EV movement more than they help it.

Ouch! As a Volt driver, that hurts! I will have you know that Volt owners put nearly as many EV miles on their cars as Leaf drivers. Chevy Volt Drivers Average Nearly As Many Electric Miles As Nissan LEAF Drivers
That's got to be better for the environment than if those Volt drivers were driving Cruzes instead.

But, I get where you are coming from. I think GM fights those battles against Teslas direct sales approach more because they can't go that route and would rather force Tesla into their model vs competing at a disadvantage. Or they are having to respond and support their dealers in those states even if they would rather not. I don't think it has anything to do with being anti EV, except that Tesla only sells EVs. I would imagine if some other gas car startup was trying the same thing, GM would respond the same way.

Reactions: ikjadoon and Jeff N
Possibly, and I see that angle. But I will argue that every person who gets the opportunity to drive an EV with a reasonable range will probably have a hard time going back to an ICE. That's not a Tesla-specific statement, though I do think Tesla probably has a stronger conversion rate. So yeah, GM makes some cash on what might be a compliance car (I'm not necessarily convinced that's the case), but it also awakens consumers to the benefits of driving an EV.
I had a good discussion today with my 10 year daughter about battles and wars. We saw Hamilton as a family. In addition to being a singer (causing the whole family to be assaulted by the Hamilton soundtrack at every opportunity) she is also a good student and didn't understand how the "colonies" could have defeated the British empire. "But, Dad, the colonists/patriots lost so many battles, how could they win the Revolutionary War?"

After parenting with sarcasm (which I'm not supposed to do) and mentioning she should read Sun Tzu and Clauswitz, I asked her if the reason she didn't understand how you could lose most the battles and yet win the war might be because she was trying to use rational measures (battles = victory) to understand irrational events: war (or any human endeavor).

Tesla is an irrational response to an irrational world. I don't know why there is a cognitive dissonance that allows people to invest, believe(nigh worship) and rely upon a resource that poisons our people and destroys our future. GM provides a perfectly rational response to an irrational problem. We need both rational and irrational, static and dynamic, practical and beautiful responses to the seminal threat of our time. I don't care how pathetic GMs response is to EV adoption, any response to stimula at least means the patient is still alive. The bolt may be a losing battle, but even if it acts as a strawman for the M3, it may help us win the war.

Last edited:
[QUOTE=" ...the Bolt is doomed to being a marginal, bit player!

May be, all other EVs are not as cute as the Model 3, but all provide a practical hatch back.

When you live in a city, you need a small car, with a lot of trunk size.
You don't care about having a panoramic back window.

Chevrolet_Bolt-Trunk.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I didn't know that Bolt offered rear-facing seats. :)

Classic mid-century modern design, too.

The Bolt is the best affordable EV available today. Some people really want an EV, and if you can't afford the Model S, or just find it too darn big you gotta buy something. Bolt buyers are those that talk the talk and walk the walk in terms of sustainable lifestyles. Tesla Model 3 buyers are more like Bono preaching how important global warming is while flying around in his private jet. Ok, most of us don't have private jets but it seems like many are driving eco-unfriendly cars until it comes in.
It seems to me that those who praise the Model 3 while bashing the Leaf, Bolt, and i3 have big self-esteem issues. You know what the biggest difference between the Model 3 and it's competitors is? The other cars are real. You can go in a showroom and buy one. Today. The Model 3 is a concept car. And almost a year after placing a reservation we know virtually nothing about the car. We have never seen a final design of the car. We don't have a clue about options and pricing. And frankly we don't know if/when we will ever get a car! The only thing any of us really know s about the 3 is that we want one. Badly. Now. Please.

Reactions: Electric1
Tesla Model 3 buyers are more like Bono preaching how important global warming is while flying around in his private jet. Ok, most of us don't have private jets but it seems like many are driving eco-unfriendly cars until it comes in.

Actually Bono does have a Model S and at one time was driving a Roadster. I'm guessing if he could fly on an eco-friendly jet he would. I'm sure that a lot of the "eco-unfriendly" people waiting for a M3 would be buying one of the alternatives if they were available and there was no Tesla.

Bobo.jpg

Reactions: dsvick
Tesla Model 3 buyers are more like Bono preaching how important global warming is while flying around in his private jet.
No private jet here, but I'm fine waiting with my current Prius and LEAF; or I might swap my Prius for a Toyota Prime. If we do the swap the household oil use for personal transportation will be about 130 gallons (500 L) a year. That is about 10% of the average US household. Oh, and my PV going in next month will result in net zero carbon emissions for our transportation and home electricity consumptions.

So, how are you doing these days ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ohmman
I was one of those people. My wife has a Volt and we absolutely love it- except for the repeated dealer appointments regarding vibrations/squeaks. I was very excited about the Bolt and was even #2 on a waiting list with a major Southern California Chevy Dealer for a Bolt. However, the more I thought about not having access to something like the Tesla Super Charger Network the more I realized that it was a deal breaker, for me at least. Although we could always take the Volt for longer trips and use the Bolt on shorter trips I felt like we shouldn't have to for a starting price greater than the Model 3. I never heard back from that dealer when the Bolt became available but it didn't really matter- I have a reservation for the Model 3 now. Love the Volt though!

No private jet here, but I'm fine waiting with my current Prius and LEAF; or I might swap my Prius for a Toyota Prime. If we do the swap the household oil use for personal transportation will be about 130 gallons (500 L) a year. That is about 10% of the average US household. Oh, and my PV going in next month will result in net zero carbon emissions for our transportation and home electricity consumptions.

So, how are you doing these days ?

Yes, you are walking the walk. And if the model 3 wasn't coming are you telling me you wouldn't of considered a bolt? I wasn't trying to come off holier than thou, as I am not a current EV driver. Heck, I'm more likely to be called a denier (which is disgusting use of language imo) than an eco-weenie (which is pretty rude in itself). But, I suspect that you are in the minority of Tesla Model 3 hopefuls. While I distrust those who insist that the science is settled (it's never settled, that what science is!) I do regret the fact that 90% of the people I know all drive a MUCH bigger car than they need. People talk about how EV's are great for 90% of the people 99% of the time. But, in my experience people buy a bigger car for that 1% when they may need it. Personally, I like small fun cars. I'm still driving an old Audi A4 that is on it's death bed and a fiat 500c which is my definition of responsible fun! The bolt looks like a great EV, and if I needed to buy something now (I kinda do) I would consider it, although it looks too cheap for my tastes. The similar looking BMW i3 offers a much nicer interior, but I'm hesitant over potential resale value (of all of them) when the Tesla comes out. I'm waiting (or trying to) for the Model 3 because I expect it to be a great smaller car, instead of a great cheap EV.