Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... so 48 amp is the new black? I mean 40.

What am I plugging into now?

Does it come with a NEMA 14-50 and... another plug? so you get 3 plugs when you buy? or just the NEMA 14-60 and 120?

So I need a 60 amp breaker and new outlet?

or does it only have the 14-50 and you have to use a HPWC to go over 40?

thanks.

Not excited about the 90D in MID 2016. Since a P90D is only marginally faster than my Sig P85, I didn't want to go P90D X.

Now another 6-9 month arbitrary wait. Maybe a 2014 AP CPO S will be a better buy after all but perhaps I should just enjoy the two I have. Or maybe wait for an inventory X.

Why does Tesla try so hard to disappoint buyers? Model S Sig tax for a $5k gym bag continues to annoy to no end and now this. Higher production prices with huge random waiting. Really thinking about cancelling now. No way I will configure this week now.

They did this on the Model S as well. Why are you surprised? They're still a relatively tiny company and 70Ds could easily create small battery-related production bottlenecks initially as well as slow production ramp as Tesla branches out their production to other model variations. Plus the contract you signed specifically states they'll choose the order vehicles are produced in, and your place in line still puts you ahead of others with similar configurations.

Plus, they need cash on hand. High margin vehicles are better for that. This will substantially help with Model 3 funding which is the company's ultimate goal in the medium term.

Does it come with a NEMA 14-50 and... another plug? so you get 3 plugs when you buy? or just the NEMA 14-60 and 120?

thanks.

I'm thinking it stays the same at 14-50 so you'll only charge at 40 amps, not 48 amps. 48 amps (or 72 amps) would be available at HPWCs.

I think the vast majority of people don't need the "biggest/fastest/most powerful" so they are trying to keep things simple by limiting the choice of chargers (and hiding the 72 amp option).

My commute isn't very long so even with 40 amps, I could do a charge for my daily round-trip commute in 40 minutes. I don't need to cut that down to 20 minutes since the car is parked in the garage for 14+ hours every night.

thanks.

The 48A or 72A capability is only relevant if you are connected to a HPWC wired for that output or higher, or a high amp J1772. (Just like Model S with dual chargers.) When plugged into your NEMA 14-50 with the UMC you'll pull 40A as always.

The 48A or 72A capability is only relevant if you are connected to a HPWC wired for that output or higher, or a high amp J1772. (Just like Model S with dual chargers.) When plugged into your NEMA 14-50 with the UMC you'll pull 40A as always.

That's correct, however I'm asking if the UMC of the X will come with a NEMA 14-60 tip. Which would allow 48 amps. Exactly 80% of it's load capacity. Perhaps the UMC will get a new plug option, for those who are willing to install a 14-60. (Cheaper than a HPWC)

That's correct, however I'm asking if the UMC of the X will come with a NEMA 14-60 tip. Which would allow 48 amps. Exactly 80% of it's load capacity. Perhaps the UMC will get a new plug option, for those who are willing to install a 14-60. (Cheaper than a HPWC)

I suppose it is possible but 14-50 is by far more common since it is used in RV parks, etc. Also, I believe it's a lot cheaper to put in 2 14-50 outlets vs. 2 14-60 outlets. I recently had 2 14-50 outlets installed in my garage. If I would've routed 125 amps to the garage instead, it would've required higher gauge wire, larger conduit, etc.

An HPWC would be nice but instead of just having one 80 amp HPWC, I chose to go with 2 40 amp outlets so that I will be able to charge multiple vehicles at once.

Some people need the 72 amp chargers but most people can easily get by with 40 amps or less.

Is battery life affected charging with a 72 amp vs. 48 amp charger using an HPWC?

With the current Lithium Ion batteries, the longevity is affected by parasitic reactions that occur on the cathode and cause them to be coated with a solid. These reactions occur during charging and appear to be directly proportional to time in charging state and temperature. Therefore, the higher the temperature, the quicker the build-up. Also, the longer the charging, the quicker the build-up.

Therefore, charging very quickly tends to be better for the battery (as long as temperature is regulated). That is why topping up is bad for the battery, because it's a slower process. Extrapolating that to the 72A vs 48A charging, it would seem that 72A is better for the battery because it charges more quickly.

Professor Jeff Dahn talking about battery longevity (warning, it's over an hour long):

P.S. Prof Dahn will begin doing battery research work with Tesla beginning in the middle of 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
But did Toyota require you to put down a $5,000 deposit two years prior to that vehicle's release, and then give you a reservation number that strongly implied you'd get your car in order of when you reserved it? I'm very annoyed that I got suckered into giving a $5,000 deposit two years ago, only to discover that I could have just waited until December 2015 to make a Production reservation, configured a P90D, and gotten my car in early 2016. We're so close to cancelling it's not even funny.

So it's possible that Production reservation holders who order the P90D will get their cars even before some Sigs? Wow... just wow.

The deposit you placed two years ago is still very useful because you are at the front of the 90D configuration line. If you waited until December 2015 place your deposit you would be at the back of the 90D line. You'll still be one of the first in the world to get a 90D configuration so your deposit wasn't in vain.

The deposit you placed two years ago is still very useful because you are at the front of the 90D configuration line. If you waited until December 2015 place your deposit you would be at the back of the 90D line. You'll still be one of the first in the world to get a 90D configuration so your deposit wasn't in vain.

Maybe not totally in vain, but it was for a car promised in 2014, then 2015, now 2016. The point is very much valid that someone that has waited 2-3 years and then is told to wait another 6 months is going to be REALLY pissed off. I'm in the same boat, and am just waiting to drive the new Q7 before I confirm that I am cancelling.

This is bad form on Tesla's part. They will not sell 15k P90D through mid 2016, so they will in fact deliver 90D models before mid 2016, or they will miss their deliveries again. They will most likely lose people like me to a competitor due to the way they have set expectations this time. In spite of what many on TMC believe, there is a finite market for $100+k family haulers

We saw the 2nd row seats move individually at the X Event.

My question is WHY doesn't Tesla Motors just put the Model S style bench seats in a FIVE seat bench version so they can FOLD? Since there is NO reason to climb behind the second row, why not have it like Model S?

I realize that the second row seats in Model X are more comfortable than Model S, but I bet a lot of buyers would love to trade some comfort for those old folding seats! For those who want extra cargo with all five seats occupied, then the existing five seat design does make sense.
Because where you would attach those seats there is hole in the body because of the Falcon Wing doors.

thanks.

Your last point is correct.

The Model X will ship with the same UMC package as found in the Model S. Tesla will not use the NEMA 14-60 configuration because they're not found frequently in the wild, and if you're going to invest in home charging > 40A, then you'll get a wall connector.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been told that there are no current plans to introduce a NEMA 14-60 adapter. The UMC is only rated at 40A charging (50A circuit). If Tesla needs to build a new UMC anyway, then you may as well just get a wall connector as 14-60's are extremely rare in the wild.

I agree that some options would clearly result in delay. But only Performance-deliveries until second half of 2016? That’s way worse than expected. I`ve monitored Tesla closely since 2012, but I was not fairly clear to me that no 90Ds would be delivered for another 8 months. But I agree that Tesla seems to have serious problems with ramping up production. And this results in Tesla prioritizing the top end models for a long time so they keep as much revenue as possible when ramping up is problematic.
I`ve followed the development of Model X since 2012 when deliveries were expected to start at the end of 2013. 2013 turned into 2014. 2014 turned into 2015. 2015 turned into 2016, and early 2016 has now turned into late 2016.
Of course, I understand that Norway won`t see any cars before loads of US production cars have been delivered. But for now it seems as if my X90D is yet another year away. Completely different from what I expected back in august when I thought I saw a snowball-effect (launch event, sigs getting invited to configure.) After this I`ve seen nothing but new invitations to configure.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic. I do love Tesla, and no other car is an alternative to me. But I do feel deeply disappointed that Tesla keeps giving unrealistic timeframes. Fall 2016 delivery can quickly turn into winter 2016/17 delivery. Thus far I`ve seen nothing but delays, and a cool launch event that eased my pains for a few weeks :)

No arguments there.

But... Hofstadter's law x 10.