Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody knows. My guess is they will slowly open it up and see what people pick in terms of 70D, 90D, P90D ratios, and what extras they pick. Tesla is known for changing its packages frequently. They might realize the premium package, as it stands now, was a mistake, and make changes to it. That is easier to do if only a few thousand people have seen it, rather than all 30,000 reservation holders, or the general public.

Furthermore, if they make changes, it is easier to contact 1,500 people that have configured and allow them to make a change if they wish, rather than 30,000. Hence, the slow roll out (IMHO).

This has probably been asked before, but any idea when the configurator will be open to the public, not just res holders?
Might be a good poll idea, but would assume that Tesla will continue to open up design studio as they require folks to place orders to fill/optimize supply chain (that's what I would do) balancing cost and agility of engineering changes.

Based on this I would assume that Tesla will most likely get through all reservation holders around March or about 2000/week assuming that some decide to cancel or defer so that they can average 1200/week over the course of 6 months...but that is just a guess

They won't care at all: if I cancel the X, I will buy an S instead.

That being said, this sentiment about its expense may end up decreasing MX demand. There are probably many others like myself that were willing to bear the cost of a $100k car, but will struggle to justify $120 - 140k.

I'm of the opinion that this was to be expected regarding kWh/range. I thought 7 seats would be standard (but as Bonnie noted, there was an email indicating otherwise). As others have pointed out, many people do buy 5-seat SUVs, so it seems logical to have a 5-seat version, but is a shame for people who were counting on the base version to have 7 seats.

All in all, I think it was the best decision for Tesla to make, but it certainly is going to result in disappointment for a number of people (and same with the air filter not included in the base model... even though it was just announced at the unveiling, not well beforehand).

1%/0.1% problems. Better than the problems facing most of the world's population. But I think most people here understand the dilemma/disappointment.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Zach,

Precisely. Tesla has an obligation to educate new and prospective customers. By hiding options without explaining the pros and cons Tesla Sales has essentially failed it's customers and they are undermining the value of the Tesla Destination Charging Program.

Larry

Yeah, am still a bit bewildered by why they wouldn't just have a snippet explaining its use. Elon has gone out of the way a number of times to makes things simple for people (assuming they couldn't figure things out well enough on their own), but that has mostly been with the media regarding sensitive topics and makes sense (esp considering the media's history of screwing things up... sometimes on purpose). This doesn't seem like a time when it is really helpful to do that, though. But maybe the person (sorry, forget who it was) who suggested that it was due to limited supply is correct. Hard to know... but definitely an odd call.

- - - Updated - - -

Not 100% sure of your point here? I am fully aware that people are happy and willing to pay extra for a premium product. If you just want to get from A to B you buy a Honda. I get that. But Tesla has no history and no reputation for premium products around the world......it's a tiny startup. 90% of people I know have never even heard of the company and certainly never seen one of the cars. It's an unknown niche brand compared to Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari. If Porsche or Aston Martin bring something similar out at the same price they will outsell Tesla 10 to 1.

Tesla currently lose $4,000 per car. Porsche makes $23,000 per car. (see Bloomberg Businessweek). I am happy for Tesla to succeed and I am all for competition - they are shaking the market up nicely. But messing about with gullwing doors, weird glass windscreens and crazy seats just distracts from what they should be doing.....building functional electric cars. Elon Musk is a very rich and impressive guy but I think the gullwing doors alone probably cost them 12 months - it's the flipside of having a CEO with maybe a little toooo much vision and not enough worrying about being commercial.

Ah, and how do you think Tesla is going to gain the popularity level of Porsche, Ferrari, etc? Aside from the falcon-wing doors serving a genuinely useful purpose, they and the windshield will pull in a ridiculous amount of attention that will help make Tesla a household name. It's weird that you follow the first paragraph with the second and don't connect the dots there, but hopefully that makes some sense now.

Also note that Tesla has been production constrained for years. If the X had come out sooner, it just would have been more production constrained, no? It's biggest challenge to date has been ramping up production, and it's impressive to see how far it has come so fast. As Deepak noted on the last call, Tesla is extremely efficient with its capital expenditures.

1-Million-Mile Drive Units, Autonomous Ride-Sharing Teslas, Extreme Efficiency -- 3 More From Tesla Q3 Conference Call −

Deepak Ahuja, Tesla’s soon-to-retire CFO, said, “I think, stepping back, the better way to look at it is that at Tesla our capex spends for what we are achieving in my mind has been really efficient… in the industry.”
Elon: “And it’s worth noting Deepak spent a huge part of his career at Ford, so… you have a good basis for comparison.”
Deepak: “Right… as we look at every year, and as we add incremental capacity, and the capex related to that, we are continuing to increase on that efficiency in terms of capex dollars per unit of production, so… fully agree this is an assets-intensive business… and, uh… the key here in terms of return on investment is how efficient we are with that capital — that’s what we’re focused on.”
Elon: “Yeah, absolutely, we certainly believe in capital efficiency and in getting better with that over time, but we also believe that companies build value by doing hard things — not outsourcing those hard things to other people… cause then they deserve the value.”
Deepak: “That’s a key point.”

- - - Updated - - -

No need to be that harsh I think. The "losing 4000/car" misconception made the rounds because a badly written article was posted at Reuters (not a blog, not Facebook, not Fox News... Reuters... smh) making exactly that assertion while (willfully or ignorantly) ignoring all the facts you just posted.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/10/us-teslamotors-cash-insight-idUSKCN0QE0DC20150810

Just as an FYI for anyone not aware, Reuters has been on an anti-EV kick for years and may well be the worst at covering EVs (a lot of misinformation and FUD). Well, the WSJ is likely worse, but more people know not to trust the WSJ.

In general, the mass media is pretty horrid at covering EVs. I've been interviewed or referenced by the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, and Washington Post, and I have worked in this field for years. It's embarrassing what ends up getting published in the mass media even when the journalist has been well informed of various matters. I'm ranting about this because... well, it just gets to me. Also, though, I think we should all realize that misconceptions are going to be widespread for a long time unless we work hard to respond to nonsense in the mainstream media. In the comments, by contacting the publication, etc.

Reuters I'm sure seems like an extremely neutral source. It's one of the furthest from it, from what I've seen. Don't take that one article as a slip.

Small digression. Accessory Hitch. Free option. May never use. But any downside in accepting the option? Sounds like when not in use will be fitted into the bumper.

It sits below the bumper, but has a cover that goes over it when not in use. Only downside I can see is the diffuser will be slightly less streamlined.

In general, the mass media is pretty horrid at covering EVs. I've been interviewed or referenced by the Chicago Tribune, New York Times, and Washington Post, and I have worked in this field for years. It's embarrassing what ends up getting published in the mass media even when the journalist has been well informed of various matters. I'm ranting about this because... well, it just gets to me. Also, though, I think we should all realize that misconceptions are going to be widespread for a long time unless we work hard to respond to nonsense in the mainstream media. In the comments, by contacting the publication, etc.

I absolutely agree with your sentiments and ranting - they can be so frustrating!
Keep up the good work and controlled ranting!

Reuters I'm sure seems like an extremely neutral source. It's one of the furthest from it, from what I've seen. Don't take that one article as a slip.

As long as members of the mainstream media continue to drive smoke belching gas guzzlers the horrid reporting will continue. To really understand the Tesla you need to drive one for an extended period of time. Only then can you fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of the car.

The longer you drive this car the more you see how easy it is to overcome the disadvantages. You will also see how obsolete internal combustion really is.

As long as members of the mainstream media continue to drive smoke belching gas guzzlers the horrid reporting will continue. To really understand the Tesla you need to drive one for an extended period of time. Only then can you fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of the car.

The longer you drive this car the more you see how easy it is to overcome the disadvantages. You will also see how obsolete internal combustion really is.

I basically agree.

I don't have an EV and have been covering them from what I think is basically a realistic perspective, but I have also been car-free for over 11 years, so am definitely not tied to the idea that I/everyone needs a gasoline car with hundreds of miles of range.

But, yeah, except in rare cases, I guess it's going to take the journalists/bloggers having real experience with EVs to report on them in a decent way. But if the media outlet has a clear bias (like Reuters & WSJ clearly have), wouldn't matter anyway. Sad state of media today....

#4787 invited to configure. Woot!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, maybe this has been discussed already but it seems that if you select the Premium Upgrades Package, you lose the fabric seats option and only get the black leather, tan leather or white "vegan" interior options. So in other words, if you want just the uber HEPA air filter, you end up paying $4500 + $2500 = $7,000 as you also have to select one of the premium seating options. Ouch. I do like the idea of the air filter. But this seems a bit harsh.

no-standard-seats.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, maybe this has been discussed already but it seems that if you select the Premium Upgrades Package, you lose the fabric seats option and only get the black leather, tan leather or white "vegan" interior options. So in other words, if you want just the uber HEPA air filter, you end up paying $4500 + $2500 = $7,000 as you also have to select one of the premium seating options. Ouch. I do like the idea of the air filter. But this seems a bit harsh.

Congrats!! Thanks for posting this.

I am still (impatiently) awaiting my turn: 10917 and 12082. I am quite sure anyone who wants to wait a few months will be able to order some of these things separately, this batching has to be to both maximize profits and minimize any re-config of the manufacturing line.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 102807

We're less than 1000 away!

I'm P2464 and the email landed in my inbox an hour or so ago. Here we go!

I was wondering where the textile seats went until I saw your post here, thanks. That is a frustratingly expensive filter. Here's to hoping they'll reconsider the packaging...

A couple questions, if anyone happens to know:

1. I've read this entire thread, because I'm obsessed, and could swear I remember seeing a sharp charcoal color option. Is that a sig color? I don't see it as a choice on mine. Two blacks, two whites and a silver - nothing in-between.

2. Do I just lose the ability to tow and raise/lower the X if I don't get the Smart Air Suspension?

3. Anyone know what the Normal Person High Fidelity Sound is going to look like?

Thanks for the assist.

Sean

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 102807