Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulling Permits for 240 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree with most, get the permit. You have a $100k car and your house, why cheap out for a $150? Makes no sense.
1. I don't get this mindset. People who can afford $100k cars and houses, don't go around throwing money into every corner where it doesn't belong.
b. Not all jurisdictions require a permit to be pulled, is there any proof that the juristictions that don't require a permit to be pulled have higher accident/property damage rates? Or is the permit pulling process just a way for the county to make a little extra money on silly things (you want to replace a light switch, pull a permit!)
III. I didn't pull a permit, but that's because I was considering doing the work myself, and knew exactly what to check when the electrician left (before I paid him). but I got a good quote, so I just paid him to do it.

1. I don't get this mindset. People who can afford $100k cars and houses, don't go around throwing money into every corner where it doesn't belong.
b. Not all jurisdictions require a permit to be pulled, is there any proof that the juristictions that don't require a permit to be pulled have higher accident/property damage rates? Or is the permit pulling process just a way for the county to make a little extra money on silly things (you want to replace a light switch, pull a permit!)
III. I didn't pull a permit, but that's because I was considering doing the work myself, and knew exactly what to check when the electrician left (before I paid him). but I got a good quote, so I just paid him to do it.
In my county permits are required so I followed the law. I could have just ignored it and saved a few bucks but if I had a problem with my new car or burned down my house I would be totally responsible.

I guess I'd be concerned about having a loss denied not even associated with the outlet (say grease fire). The FAQ linked above is what started that notion.

But I take it none of you non-permitted fellows are overly concerned with that?

But I take it none of you non-permitted fellows are overly concerned with that?
No. Hypothetically speaking, I didn't tell him not pull a permit, I didn't say anything, he gave me a quote, I paid him, business is complete.

Also I don't believe an insurance company can just deny your claim by saying you had an illegal outlet, if the fire started from something completely unrelated.

And finally, there's a time and place to save money. When we had a different project done on our house this year, I had 2 builders offer to save $500 by not pulling permits. I said no to both. Why? I would have no idea if they build the thing correctly, I have zero building experience. As for an electrical outlet, considering I was going to do it myself, I have no qualms if a reputable electrician doesn't pull a permit. I'll be double checking the job anyways.

Reactions: Max*
I just visited several of the websites for surrounding Chicagoland towns and villages. The permit fee is no less than $50 and required for DIY or contracted electrical work. They state that there are severe fines for those that get caught without permits. They especially warned about a surge of unpermitted EV outlets and chargers being installed, particularly those for Teslas. It has been so bad that they are now confiscating the Tesla vehicles and putting them in impound until the fines are paid and the new work is inspected. :) jk

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: pchilds and Mickie
I have a friend who does great electrical work and will be performing the install. I'm curious if anyone's had their installs performed without pulling permits and what people's thoughts are on it. Thanks
it all depends on how bureaucratic and anal your code officials are. where I live currently I didn't need any permits and hired a licensed electrician to do the install, 3 years later no issues.

Reactions: Mickie
When I installed solar and upgraded the electrical service / panel, I had all permits and inspections done. The inspector only spent 5 min reading the panel labels and checked it off. Same case for the solar install, maybe 10min. He didn't even go up the roof. If you rely on the inspector to check the work... It's useless. But then as others said it's more for reliability issue. Of course this is only for my specific city.

• Informative
When I installed solar and upgraded the electrical service / panel, I had all permits and inspections done. The inspector only spent 5 min reading the panel labels and checked it off. Same case for the solar install, maybe 10min. He didn't even go up the roof. If you rely on the inspector to check the work... It's useless. But then as others said it's more for reliability issue. Of course this is only for my specific city.
My inspector measured the current at the panel and my charger. He also asked to have the panel removed so he could see the wiring (presumably to verify the guage). Finally he looked at the conduit run from panel to charger before he signed off. I'm happy I did it and live in a safety oriented community. I didn't feel it was bureaucracy run amok at all.

I have a friend who does great electrical work and will be performing the install. I'm curious if anyone's had their installs performed without pulling permits and what people's thoughts are on it. Thanks
I got quotes both ways, in one case from the same guy. Basically it came down to installing an outlet for $800 or $1500. Same work, just adding the permit. I went without.

I got quotes both ways, in one case from the same guy. Basically it came down to installing an outlet for $800 or $1500. Same work, just adding the permit. I went without.
That was a ripoff. I got 3 quotes 2 of those were under $650 including permit for a 14-50. The price you paid was more than what I was quoted for an 80 amp HPWC installation with a 40' run but my quote was $1200 incl permit.

I got ahold of my village, and the permit is going to be around $25 bucks, lol. The way it sounded, the inspector may not even come out to inspect, and will just sign off on the work from the office based on my electricians estimate and scope of work.

I reckon, small price for piece of mind.

Reactions: msnow
I installed a 100 amp subpanel in my garage with two 14-50 outlets without a permit. When I had the dedicated EV meter installed by an electrician he was skeptical that I installed the subpanel myself but when he checked it out my installation, he offered me a job!

• Funny
A permit in my neck of the woods costs $107 (IIRC) + someone needs to be home to show the inspector the work. Either the electrician needs to be there, or send his apprentice to be there, or me the homeowner needs to be there.

So it's $100 + either their time (which they charge for) or my time (which costs me time off). So I can see why some electricians charge an extra $200 for doing the work with permits.

• Informative