Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pyro Fuse Fuss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did not include since was not relevant to what I asked service to quote, but here is breakdown. Labor looks to be 35 min. As rate is quoted $220 per hour. Note it at bottom
I do not want the charge mod. I have or the car has free unlimited for its life, so most likely will make next owner happy as still like new, garaged and happy. Just drove to SuperC for 80% top off today.

Attachments

• IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 565
  • Informative
Reactions: kirkusss and NV Ray
seems like the are not going to cover this so class action sounds fair to me, it is part of batteries and a safety feature that is failing.
As someone pointed out in another thread, the TPMS sensors are a required safety feature and have batteries that have a finite life, and those are maintenance items that you have to pay for. So, this fuse is pretty much the same. It is a maintenance item. (I still think they should cover it if your pack is still under an active warranty.)

Reactions: supratachophobia
2017 S75 R not removing pak in ½ hour labor. 450$ of quote is for CCS retrofit that I did not ask for, they just tried to slip it in.
There’s no need to remove the pack on your 2017. The fuse is accessible through a door on the bottom.

I am highly skeptical of your claim that the service center is trying to “slip in” the CCS retrofit as a shady sales tactic. Upgrades and accessories are listed at the top of the app screen when you request service - it’s highly likely you added it to the request without realizing you did.

As someone pointed out in another thread, the TPMS sensors are a required safety feature and have batteries that have a finite life, and those are maintenance items that you have to pay for. So, this fuse is pretty much the same. It is a maintenance item. (I still think they should cover it if your pack is still under an active warranty.)
15k miles on car, too bad the batteries we not replaceable, save waste and $ both ways.

There no warranty associated with tires/wheels..... But there is a battery warranty.

Battery fuse replacement warning popped up a few weeks ago on my 2014 Model S 85. I contacted a Tesla service center and received an estimate of USD $415 to repair, and have an appointment scheduled for August 2. But after receiving a minor software update this morning, the warning message disappeared.

I had the good fortune of having a battery failure just before the warranty expired about a year or so ago, and received a brand new (not a reman) battery. Given the fact that I have a relatively new battery, I'm wondering if anyone has insights on a few questions that come to mind:

1. Is the pyro fuse part of the battery assembly (i.e. would a new fuse come with the new battery I received) or is it separate from the battery module?
2. Is the battery fuse warning completely divorced from the actual status of my pyro fuse (which may or may not be new, depending on answer to question # 1) - i.e. is it just triggered by elapsed time / mileage and is manually reset?
3. Is it possible that the battery fuse warning was erroneous and was fixed with the most recent software update?

I live far from a service center, and would be happy to avoid an unnecessary trip to "fix" a non-issue, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Battery fuse replacement warning popped up a few weeks ago on my 2014 Model S 85. I contacted a Tesla service center and received an estimate of USD $415 to repair, and have an appointment scheduled for August 2. But after receiving a minor software update this morning, the warning message disappeared.

I had the good fortune of having a battery failure just before the warranty expired about a year or so ago, and received a brand new (not a reman) battery. Given the fact that I have a relatively new battery, I'm wondering if anyone has insights on a few questions that come to mind:

1. Is the pyro fuse part of the battery assembly (i.e. would a new fuse come with the new battery I received) or is it separate from the battery module?
2. Is the battery fuse warning completely divorced from the actual status of my pyro fuse (which may or may not be new, depending on answer to question # 1) - i.e. is it just triggered by elapsed time / mileage and is manually reset?
3. Is it possible that the battery fuse warning was erroneous and was fixed with the most recent software update?

I live far from a service center, and would be happy to avoid an unnecessary trip to "fix" a non-issue, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1) depending on year, the fuse is in a small compartment either on top or below the pack, my guess is they ship without the fuse as it would be safer (slightly), but we have no idea if they replace it as part of the work.

2) the fuse has no 'status' communication with the car, is a time of manufacture timed alert, the warning details say the alert shows with 6 months 'life' left of the battery, its reported that the car will go into limp mode after these 6 months (unconfirmed)

3)Yes, some cars like mine triggered the error and tesla have said to wait a week to see if it goes off, mine did go off and I know I have the none battery fuse so its a bug in the firmware (I didn't do any updates)

This whole thing made me lose even more trust with Tesla, they are guessing on the life of a battery fuse with no mention in service schedules and they can't even get the alert code correct.
We all know how battery life fluctuates with various conditions, this should be a recall as I think someone screwed up here and they won't admit it.

I'm wondering if anyone has insights on a few questions that come to mind:

Thanks!
You will get some answers to the listed questions from the linked post on the first page, copying it to here:

Reactions: David Harvey

Thanks!
@o2vt my post on this thread might be helpful to you - Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D
I had the battery replaced on my 2018 Model S 75D in Feb 2023 with a new 90KW pack. I got the fuse alert and Telsa quoted me about $500 for the repair. I brought the car in for service and after inspection, they told me "the installed fuse is an updated self powered fuse and no replacement is needed."

Since you live so far away, may want to try to ask Tesla if they can check the serial number of your new battery pack to see if it was on the list of false alerts that were sent out. I tried to ask them questions via the app before the service appointment date but it seemed like they didn't know about the issue at the time and told me to bring the car in. I hope this helps you save some time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
Battery fuse replacement warning popped up a few days ago on my 2014 Model S 60.

I contacted a Tesla service center and received an estimate of USD $1,219 to repair

I wish I took a screenshot of the estimate.
I am going to see if the can resend the estimate for the pyro fuse.

They were planning to do a mobile appointment for this.

I can understand being charged $400-$600 for this job but not $1,219.

Does anyone else gets treated like this from their service center?

Battery fuse replacement warning popped up a few days ago on my 2014 Model S 60.

I contacted a Tesla service center and received an estimate of USD $1,219 to repair

I wish I took a screenshot of the estimate.
I am going to see if the can resend the estimate for the pyro fuse.

They were planning to do a mobile appointment for this.

I can understand being charged $400-$600 for this job but not $1,219.

Does anyone else gets treated like this from their service center?
IMG_4942.jpeg