Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on my 2012 85kW pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7 DU replacements (all covered under warranty)
4-way valve replaced $300
broken UMC replaced $500
5 sets of tires
2 air filters $17 each
a set of headlight bulbs replaced myself $35
Quarterpanel and rear bumper replaced $18000 (covered by insurance minus $1000 deductible)

Overall the car is holding up fine. Touchscreen now has some bubbles. Tesla wants $3400 to fix it. Not going to do it.
UNBELIEVABLE!!! I was hoping you were going to say that.. I've only been an owner for 6 months and about to take delivery of M3. I absolutely Love my car and hopefully will keep as long as you have!! If you figure you fuel saving at 20mpg $3 gal holy Toledo!!:);)

7 DU replacements (all covered under warranty)
4-way valve replaced $300
broken UMC replaced $500
5 sets of tires
2 air filters $17 each
a set of headlight bulbs replaced myself $35
Quarterpanel and rear bumper replaced $18000 (covered by insurance minus $1000 deductible)

Overall the car is holding up fine. Touchscreen now has some bubbles. Tesla wants $3400 to fix it. Not going to do it.
Sorry off topic...Did I read that correctly, 7 Drive units? I am wondering at what point does lemon law/manufacturer buyback kick in. If BMW/Mercedes/Maserati were to replace the tranny 7 times, surely it would be a buyback no?

So on the Leaf there was a way to see the battery State of Health (SOH) with an OBDII adapter and an App. Any Tesla tools out there where one can readily see the State of Health of the battery?

Over on the roadster forum there is this thread that I will have to digest.
There are some apps/tools available to read internal information such as full pack energy:
TM-Spy, Scan my Tesla, Tesla Diagnostic Tool, shell or webservice

However, you need the original value (when the car was new) to calculate the SoH.
The largest 85 pack I've seen is 78.2kWh (Chris TX). If you use this value as the reference, and you current pack is (say) 72, then SoH = 72/78.2=92.1%.

Sorry off topic...Did I read that correctly, 7 Drive units? I am wondering at what point does lemon law/manufacturer buyback kick in. If BMW/Mercedes/Maserati were to replace the tranny 7 times, surely it would be a buyback no?
Lemon laws vary by state. For CA, see Buying and Maintaining a Car which points to http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf.

I'm guessing you're in GA. Yours are at Georgia Department of Law's Consumer Protection Unit

He's not the only TMCer w/a high # of DU replacements (Drive Unit Replacement Poll was an earlier post from him). Here are two more:
Drive Unit Replacement Poll

6th drive unit replacement and more

There are some apps/tools available to read internal information such as full pack energy:
TM-Spy, Scan my Tesla, Tesla Diagnostic Tool, shell or webservice

However, you need the original value (when the car was new) to calculate the SoH.
The largest 85 pack I've seen is 78.2kWh (Chris TX). If you use this value as the reference, and you current pack is (say) 72, then SoH = 72/78.2=92.1%.

I was able to get 76.5 kWh out of my pack when it was new but the buffer is 4 kWh so the total would have been 80.5 kWh.

What causes the touchscreen to bubble? The sun/heat?

I have an ipad from 2012, the touchscreen never bubbled up once.

Ya, the crappy touchscreens that leak should really be recalled. Mine got bubbles while it was at service (just after 50k/4 yrs), sitting in hot climate and sun for days. never had that problem in the climate where I live.

I've heard $800 for just the screen. not going to do that until the goo starts getting on stuff, ugh

'12 P85 (76k mi) ~60k mi on a '14 battery - 250 @ 100%

Ya, the crappy touchscreens that leak should really be recalled. Mine got bubbles while it was at service (just after 50k/4 yrs), sitting in hot climate and sun for days. never had that problem in the climate where I live.

I've heard $800 for just the screen. not going to do that until the goo starts getting on stuff, ugh

'12 P85 (76k mi) ~60k mi on a '14 battery - 250 @ 100%
Would having a zagg screen protector help?

Would having a zagg screen protector help?
I don't think so, I had a screen protector on it since really early '13. It's not like the damage is from contact, just temperature or maybe direct sun? my car got reaaly hot when it was parked in San Rafael when I checked the app during service,I always would at least crack my window or sunroof if my car was at those temps which was only a couple of times in it's life. Maybe the overheat protection would have helped but that firmware feature came right after my screen got F'd up.

It sounds crazy but I was fine with it. It was just a small noise issue, nothing that affects driving or anything like that. I still see (or I should say hear) some old car driving around with that noise of the early drive units. Those owners seem to think it's normal. I just kept going back to Tesla complaining and they agreed to replace it each time. Finally I got the new revision DU and since then it's been quiet and running fine. It was replaced under warranty at no cost.

Reactions: Atlantan
I don't think so, I had a screen protector on it since really early '13. It's not like the damage is from contact, just temperature or maybe direct sun? my car got reaaly hot when it was parked in San Rafael when I checked the app during service,I always would at least crack my window or sunroof if my car was at those temps which was only a couple of times in it's life. Maybe the overheat protection would have helped but that firmware feature came right after my screen got F'd up.
Ah i see, makes sense. Must overheat protec :D

Just coming into this thread late. Mine is a March 2014 S85 with about 53K(?) miles on it. I have not quite let it get all the way to full in a couple of years, but in the past couple of weeks I was on a trip, and it was almost full, where Supercharging was tapered down to about 20kW, so it was at the somewhere around 97-98% level probably, and it was just getting to about 250-252 ish miles I think.

So consensus seems to be that it should normally be somewhere around 250. The OP has 233 showing from the original 265 value. That is down by 32 miles, which is 12% reduction. That seems a lot lower than what should be normal. 83K miles is a little bit high, but most of the people reporting here are around 50-70K, so it should be pretty close.

Regarding touchscreen bubbles: pretty sure that's because of the extreme temperature cycles in a car. Mine got bubbles on it a few months ago, and I just got it replaced under the wire before my initial warranty ran out. Mine wasn't leaking any goop, but I think those are air bubbles where the seal between the layers pulls apart a little.

Here is my range over the life of my car. Or I should say the mileage of my car. Capacity is lost fast in the beginning, then it seems to go down at a constant rate. There isn't much data at all from car with over 150k miles.
range.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
I have two data points.
two cars, both 2014 Model S 85. One has 150k miles and has 243 miles at 100% The other one has 34k miles and has 253 miles at 100%. Both 'rated range'.

Just charging and reading at the same time. MS85 2015, My numbers are;

276mi (near 100%) RATED
221mi (near 100%) TYPICAL

Both pictures below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 28