Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched another video detailing V9 on a Model S and realised two more common actions I use that would take more steps than before.

I often turn on the front defrost, usually when it's raining, then when it's clear turn off the climate control since I don't need it so it'd be a waste of energy. Turning off climate is 2 clicks on V9, 1 in all previous versions.

Occasionally I'll want to dim the lights. One example is when I'm backing into my garage and my son has followed me home; but there are other occasions. I press Controls, then with two fingers simultaneously turn off DRLs and switch to parking lights. Quick and easy. Not so with V9, which buried DRLs as a small switch in a sub-menu.

I like that they did away with the 2 tab setup for controls, but they could have done a much better job on the default page. It's quite a waste of space with few controls on it.

I just made my appointment. Here's what I said:

"We did the new software update to V9 and are VERY unhappy with all of the best features being removed. We would like to have the car downgraded back to the last version. Is there a way to do that remotely, or do I have to bring it in for that?"

I'm curious if they will contact me beforehand to tell me they can't do it or if they will wait until I arrive to tell me the bad news. This is going to be great.

Keep us posted on what happens. Just made my appointment for mid-Nov to fix something else and added v8 to the list. Hoping by then they'll acknowledge they made a change to our automobiles which we do not approve of and return to car to the previous state... although I know realistically they'll probably say it can't be done.

So quick update for those that want to stay on v8, are staged (have v9 downloaded) for update, and don't want to continually have to cancel out the install... talked to mobile service that said the way to remove it is to hit install, and then start driving for 20-30 minutes. install will error out and won't prompt you again.
I actually did this with v32 earlier in the year. It was installing, said something like "verifying update" on the screen. I wanted to simply move the car to the garage. My thought process was "well, it's only verifying the install so I should be able to move 30 feet". Started normally, put it in drive, and it immediately said "update aborted, rolling back". No update nags for weeks when I finally called the SC - they said it aborted because i tried to drive while updating. Otherwise it did roll back and operated normally.

Of course, YMMV. But honestly it sounds safe to me. Worst case they re-push the update which is what they find to me OTA.

I just made my appointment. Here's what I said:

"We did the new software update to V9 and are VERY unhappy with all of the best features being removed. We would like to have the car downgraded back to the last version. Is there a way to do that remotely, or do I have to bring it in for that?"

I'm curious if they will contact me beforehand to tell me they can't do it or if they will wait until I arrive to tell me the bad news. This is going to be great.

My appointment was scheduled for tomorrow. I got a call last night from Tesla Rockville Service to tell me that they cannot downgrade. At least they called and didn't make me go-in to find-out. I asked if they are getting a lot of complaints and he said no. Hmm.

• Informative
Reactions: RAW84 and croman
I asked if they are getting a lot of complaints and he said no. Hmm.

Thanks for the update. They probably aren't getting a lot of complaints, but I would take that response with a grain of salt.

My power steering column bolts failed and after reading a thread on here about how the stock bolts are not acceptable and should be replaced with steel bolts. I brought this up to the service center after they replaced the steering column (not wanting the inferior stock bolts to fail when I'm out of warranty), and they assured me that it wasn't a widespread issue. A couple weeks later, Tesla issued a recall to replace the bolts.o_O

Reactions: croman and kavyboy
C8C431AD-AC14-4982-A07A-95B05FD3C9F0.jpeg

When he says "Next point release" does he mean .42 or does he mean 9.1?
In my experience "point release" means version.release, or the number after the dot.

Hopefully it's more than "pinning the camera". Who knows what that means in the world of Musk? If taken literally, we have that now. But if enhanced somehow that's one piece of many that needs fixing.

But it is hopeful and I am optimistic. It's good to know we've been heard, even if Tesla doesn't know how to appropriately talk back.

I don't want to dock the camera, it bothers me too. I hope he means we will be able to choose any app again.

It is still one touch to turn off climate. It is just a long press instead of a tap.
That is interesting; but depending on how long the press is, and how quick the climate screen would come up, long press might be even worse. If it's a half second or a little less it'd be ok for me. Or better yet, customizable!

Reactions: kavyboy