Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s interesting listening to some of the commentary coming out of the UK about this decision. Apparently on the 1st conference call with Tesla for UK customers who were very vocal obviously and I quote from the Tesla BOD ‘It will come but we just can’t give you a date so we have decided to take this approach’. Some believe that this is a ploy by Tesla to offload excess LHD stock in any market they can before switching production to RHD further down the track. Tesla are saying it’s a mechanical design problem preventing RHD from being viable. Who knows what to believe. Why leave the X and S on the Australian Tesla order page if it’s definitely all over.
Given elon has stated that they now only make s and x for nostalgic reasons, I’d suggest the chances of these models being fully cancelled is stronger than RHD coming back

Reactions: Hairyman
ISome believe that this is a ploy by Tesla to offload excess LHD stock in any market they can before switching production to RHD further down the track. Tesla are saying it’s a mechanical design problem preventing RHD from being viable. Who knows what to believe. Why leave the X and S on the Australian Tesla order page if it’s definitely all over.

Nothing would surprise me with Tesla.
I did wonder if the final price was going to be well over the price they took reservations at and this was a nice way out for them. Get customers to refund their reservations and buy a 3 or Y.

The $3000 discount offered to cancelled orders will get some customers to buy a 3 or Y they can deliver now.

Then maybe bring an updated S or X in a year or two to RHD markets at far higher prices they are not locked into.

I did wonder if the final price was going to be well over the price they took reservations at and this was a nice way out for them. Get customers to refund their reservations and buy a 3 or Y.

The $3000 discount offered to cancelled orders will get some customers to buy a 3 or Y they can deliver now.

Then maybe bring an updated S or X in a year or two to RHD markets at far higher prices they are not locked into.
S and X needs a massive increase in spec / comfort / features to compete at a higher price, especially in a year or two when the big euro brands have a large number of well developed options.

It’s interesting listening to some of the commentary coming out of the UK about this decision. Apparently on the 1st conference call with Tesla for UK customers who were very vocal obviously and I quote from the Tesla BOD ‘It will come but we just can’t give you a date so we have decided to take this approach’. Some believe that this is a ploy by Tesla to offload excess LHD stock in any market they can before switching production to RHD further down the track. Tesla are saying it’s a mechanical design problem preventing RHD from being viable. Who knows what to believe. Why leave the X and S on the Australian Tesla order page if it’s definitely all over.
It is a mechanical design issue. Munro did a tear down, and unlike the pre refresh S and X or the 3 and Y, the updated S and X firewalls never had any hardpoints to pass a steering column through. The fact that when Tesla launched these cars they said Australian deliveries would start in March 21 is an outright lie. It was not possible and the process would require a new stamp or modification to the existing stamp.

That's super shifty business practice, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised. Almost 3 years and no updates, then a cancellation is bad business and goodwill with their most loyal RHD customers.

It is a mechanical design issue. Munro did a tear down, and unlike the pre refresh S and X or the 3 and Y, the updated S and X firewalls never had any hardpoints to pass a steering column through. The fact that when Tesla launched these cars they said Australian deliveries would start in March 21 is an outright lie. It was not possible and the process would require a new stamp or modification to the existing stamp.
I’ve watched Munro’s tear down videos. Can you post where he mentions this. He does mention that the steering should be electrical as opposed to mechanical but that’s all I can find.

Attachments

• 14D982B7-54E0-4185-99C2-BE7E78B5DB6E.png
    14D982B7-54E0-4185-99C2-BE7E78B5DB6E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • CE6A278A-C3DE-4969-85C8-2FF90E698131.png
    CE6A278A-C3DE-4969-85C8-2FF90E698131.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: Hairyman
It is a mechanical design issue. Munro did a tear down, and unlike the pre refresh S and X or the 3 and Y, the updated S and X firewalls never had any hardpoints to pass a steering column through.
I assume you're referring to the Tweet that I believe originally came from TOCWA

I'm no engineer, but equally the 3/Y is far from symmetrical, and if you look just up-left to their big X on the S/X there is a penetration that does have a matching hole. No doubt more engineering work would be required but I suspect it's more that the $s just don't make sense.

It's also interesting that the UK emails said not for the "forseeable future"

With the massive waitlist on the US CT, I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar for RHD CTs

This was posted in 2017, before Model 3/Y and he'd also stated that the Model S had funded the production line. Feeling pretty much forgotten about alright, with a bad after taste.

View attachment 937309

I absolutely feel this way, without the early buyers of the S (which for Australia I was one, and then the X within a year of it release in Oz) Tesla would have not been able to make the 3. Hell, we as a family ditched all ICE and went all in EV, sold dozens of S’s, numerous X’s and a crap load of 3’s for Tesla…and Tesla can’t even modify the S/X even at an increased cost to us for RHD…no, they just couldn’t be stuffed, so now neither do I about Tesla.

We got told a number of times, including a big thank you from Musk at the 3 release to S buyers, and to then abandoned us point blank (especially learning from some of the points mentioned above) makes me more and more sickened.

I am driving the EQE Wednesday, @paulp if the wife let’s me I’ll get the 53, if she doesn’t I’ll just get the 300 with Air as they have a black one in stock and ready to go. I 100% know if I go the EQE then the wife will go the EQE SUV as soon as it’s available.

Sad as I have dearly liked the Tesla brand, but their s$&t house communication and now lack of professionalism how they have handled this cancellation of RHD makes me not want to do business with Tesla anymore.

Maybe I’ll calm down in a few days and change my mind, but I have been red hot angry for longer than I normally would.

Well if this episode hasn’t convinced anyone, Tesla needs a new CEO and has so for some time. I’ve thought so for the last 3 years minimum. Elon is now a greater liability than asset to Tesla. For a start, any company the size of Tesla should have CEO whose sole focus is that company, 100%. No side projects. No vanity projects that have nothing to do with your core mission. No being CEO of other companies. If you can’t dedicate your life to Tesla 100%, the Board should get rid of you and find someone who can do that.

Add to that Elon becoming increasingly unhinged, you have an otherwise brilliant car company with no coherent vehicle development strategy (S3XY was a great strategy, but then Cybertruck and Semi look like random dart-throws) with an increasing number of misses (Roadster 2 might never see the light of day, FSD in perpetual Beta, S/X cancelled in RHD markets, Cybertruck might be released in LHD markets in volumes 5 years after it was announced, Powerwall 2 is now 7 years old, Optimus WTF).

If the mooted Model 2 is announced later this year or next year, that is the development Tesla should have begun 5 years ago. Then branch out into other vehicle form factors that make sense under an overarching strategy.

Founders are great at founding companies (and Elon isn’t even really a founder), they are sometimes great at turning those companies into world-changing enterprises, but truly great founders recognise their own limitations and know when to step back and hand the reins over to someone else.

I absolutely feel this way, without the early buyers of the S (which for Australia I was one, and then the X within a year of it release in Oz) Tesla would have not been able to make the 3. Hell, we as a family ditched all ICE and went all in EV, sold dozens of S’s, numerous X’s and a crap load of 3’s for Tesla…and Tesla can’t even modify the S/X even at an increased cost to us for RHD…no, they just couldn’t be stuffed, so now neither do I about Tesla.

We got told a number of times, including a big thank you from Musk at the 3 release to S buyers, and to then abandoned us point blank (especially learning from some of the points mentioned above) makes me more and more sickened.

I am driving the EQE Wednesday, @paulp if the wife let’s me I’ll get the 53, if she doesn’t I’ll just get the 300 with Air as they have a black one in stock and ready to go. I 100% know if I go the EQE then the wife will go the EQE SUV as soon as it’s available.

Sad as I have dearly liked the Tesla brand, but their s$&t house communication and now lack of professionalism how they have handled this cancellation of RHD makes me not want to do business with Tesla anymore.

Maybe I’ll calm down in a few days and change my mind, but I have been red hot angry for longer than I normally would.

Yes yes and yes to all of this, including the calming down period needing a bit longer

And hopefully by the time you take delivery, there will be more Superchargers open (and more revenue for Tesla).

I can buy an Merc EQE that I can pick up Wednesday where 95%+ of charging occurs from my roof top solar (either at primary home or coast home). On the odd trip I do where I need a Supercharger there is now other options.

I am not going to go from Tesla lover to hater, but the lion's share of the profit they got from me may well just evaporate out the door...

Oh, and alternative fast charging options have been growing faster than Tesla's Supercharger promises (here in Australia).