Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model X & S Waiting Room - AUSTRALIA (Orders cancelled by Tesla May2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also think people forget in the US they love big trucks and roads setup for them.
A basic F250/Silverado is from around US$45k to I think close to US$100k
So CT pricing and size over there makes sense.
Most things Tesla do are US centric.

Like many others, we love our Model X (P100D, 7 seat) and would like to replace it given it's getting on in years. What is the best alternative in the Australian market these days? I looked at the EX90 and Polstar 3 but neither really appeal when you're used to a Model X. What are other Model X owners buying, or are they just waiting for a RHD version to hopefully reappear?

Like many others, we love our Model X (P100D, 7 seat) and would like to replace it given it's getting on in years. What is the best alternative in the Australian market these days? I looked at the EX90 and Polstar 3 but neither really appeal when you're used to a Model X. What are other Model X owners buying, or are they just waiting for a RHD version to hopefully reappear?
Probably buying model Y. Still a massive car. just no 7 seat option.

KIA EV 9 would be closer in terms of size but the software etc has no tesla feel

Probably buying model Y. Still a massive car. just no 7 seat option.

KIA EV 9 would be closer in terms of size but the software etc has no tesla feel
Model Y is not a massive car compared to a very roomy model x, which is a full size suv.
It is very size noticable going from model s (similar size to x) to a model 3 loaner during the regular warranty visits.

If you dont mind spending a fortune and still want that ‘P’ for performance, I understand the merc eqs suv has 7 seats on a dedicated ev platform. I’ve not driven it, but based on my eqe53amg it is likely to be impressive and very expensive. I think it is the only 7 seater ev in australia.

We had a deposit on the EQE SUV500 and the wife decided against it the day before picking up (luckily I had an out)...she wants to keep her X until she can buy a new X....given we have an 8 year warranty (warranty goes until August 2026, very lom km's so no issue there either) on everything I decided to let her have her way.

Reactions: ICUDoc and Jules22
If you dont mind spending a fortune and still want that ‘P’ for performance, I understand the merc eqs suv has 7 seats on a dedicated ev platform. I’ve not driven it, but based on my eqe53amg it is likely to be impressive and very expensive. I think it is the only 7 seater ev in australia.
We tested the EQS SUV and the EQE SUV...the wife didn't like the size of the EQS (bigger than the X) but it was a very nice SUV...it's also not over the top expensive given it is a a Merc "S", from memory it was $208,000 drive away (no soft close doors at this price point, not sure if it's an option).

So what alternatives to Tesla are there in the dawn of 2024, really? Some of the most important features for me that have historically separated Tesla from the rest are:

- Car remote controllable for parking: can park itself in and out of spots via key or phone activation without being in the car.
- Climate can be kept on until the car runs low on battery
- OTA software updates
- Service intervals on condition, not at x km. That's a big one! I always blow whatever liquid I happen to be sipping out my nose when I read about 20,000km service intervals for other EVs!
- Climate can be controlled from the app even with the car off and parked far away.
- Reliable autosteer and adaptive cruise control, both enabled for local roads and motorways
- at least 4 USB connectors in the cabin (for power)
- at least one 12V connection capable of powering a 150W 240V inverter (or better yet, an actual 240V outlet in the cabin somewhere able to deliver 150W - ideally more)
- Glass roof with a large unobstructed surface (so I can suction cup mount my starlink kit inside)
- Built-in dashcam for all cameras, accessible by the user
- >500km real world range
- Nice big touchscreen for nav and settings, with appropriately placed lips around the screen to secure hand when pushing buttons while driving.

edit: And how do others deal with a much smaller charging network?

Do any of the new players in the field fulfill all of these requirements?

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUDoc and Jules22
So what alternatives to Tesla are there in the dawn of 2024, really?
Nothing comes close from a price/feature perspective.

Your list looks really good but the biggest one for me is safety. Tesla are clearly unsurpassed both in avoidance of collision and post collision occupant safety. Even vehicles at 3x the price of a Model 3 don't come close in that (most important IMHO) metric.

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
So what alternatives to Tesla are there in the dawn of 2024, really? Some of the most important features for me that have historically separated Tesla from the rest are:

- Car remote controllable for parking: can park itself in and out of spots via key or phone activation without being in the car.
- Climate can be kept on until the car runs low on battery
- OTA software updates
- Service intervals on condition, not at x km. That's a big one! I always blow whatever liquid I happen to be sipping out my nose when I read about 20,000km service intervals for other EVs!
- Climate can be controlled from the app even with the car off and parked far away.
- Reliable autosteer and adaptive cruise control, both enabled for local roads and motorways
- at least 4 USB connectors in the cabin (for power)
- at least one 12V connection capable of powering a 150W 240V inverter (or better yet, an actual 240V outlet in the cabin somewhere able to deliver 150W - ideally more)
- Glass roof with a large unobstructed surface (so I can suction cup mount my starlink kit inside)
- Built-in dashcam for all cameras, accessible by the user
- >500km real world range
- Nice big touchscreen for nav and settings, with appropriately placed lips around the screen to secure hand when pushing buttons while driving.

edit: And how do others deal with a much smaller charging network?

Do any of the new players in the field fulfill all of these requirements?

I think the only thing that can't be countered by something better from the other manufactures so far has been performance/price ratio:

If the legacy manufacturers get competetive on that note Tesla will be toast.

• Informative
Reactions: ZeeDoktor