Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could we see an option for a 2nd screen? I would assume this would be an optional dash to try to cover all the basis/reasons people may be hesitant to swap. Potential for a 2nd-row screen like in S/X, but that would cannibalize sales for them. We already know that the connections exist for this to come in the future if they wished.
This will not happen in 3/Y. The reason the 2nd screen connector is there is because Tesla uses the same MCU circuit boards for all vehicles. 2nd screen connector is used for S/X.
You must not use Superchargers much.
Assuming the IRA rules and regulations are well written (yes, that is a large assumption) the SC will become a public charging network. Tesla has never met a govt subsidy they didn't like and will do what they need to do to get that govt cheese (and access to better sites like highway rest stops and other public areas). Also, SCs are idle a lot of the time and so opening access is pure cashflow/profit. I also expect Tesla will spin off "Tesla Energy" with SolarCity and SC network under the same umbrella and the car business separate.

Reactions: Perscitus
Assuming the IRA rules and regulations are well written (yes, that is a large assumption) the SC will become a public charging network. Tesla has never met a govt subsidy they didn't like and will do what they need to do to get that govt cheese (and access to better sites like highway rest stops and other public areas). Also, SCs are idle a lot of the time and so opening access is pure cashflow/profit. I also expect Tesla will spin off "Tesla Energy" with SolarCity and SC network under the same umbrella and the car business separate.
Interesting idea. If it happens, I hope Tesla continues their current commitment to reliability for Superchargers. As I posted earlier, poor reliability for other L2 and L3 charging is unacceptable.

There is no space for a huge filter.
Yeah that’s what they keep saying. Yet there are HEPA filters on the market in all shapes and sizes. I’m sure they could figure out how to make a HEPA filter work in the model 3.

The design of the current 3 HVAC system is not good. It’s got two filters with a gap between them jammed right next to the AC evaporator that is always wet from condensation. A single HEPA filter located further away from the evaporator would likely go a long way towards solving the smell issues.

Yeah that’s what they keep saying. Yet there are HEPA filters on the market in all shapes and sizes. I’m sure they could figure out how to make a HEPA filter work in the model 3.

The design of the current 3 HVAC system is not good. It’s got two filters with a gap between them jammed right next to the AC evaporator that is always wet from condensation. A single HEPA filter located further away from the evaporator would likely go a long way towards solving the smell issues.
There are no model 3 stock size actual HEPA filters available. If you would do one - you would need to run fans on full blast to push anything through it. And even then it would lose airflow completely within few weeks, because it collects much more small dust and has a tiny filter area.

There is no magical solution to that - filter is just a surface with holes. If holes are smaller (HEPA) - you need much more surface to pass the same air and to keep dust since more dust is trapped by smaller holes.

There are no model 3 stock size actual HEPA filters available. If you would do one - you would need to run fans on full blast to push anything through it. And even then it would lose airflow completely within few weeks, because it collects much more small dust and has a tiny filter area.

There is no magical solution to that - filter is just a surface with holes. If holes are smaller (HEPA) - you need much more surface to pass the same air and to keep dust since more dust is trapped by smaller holes.

Yeah I know. They are reportedly re-designing the car. They could conceivably redesign the frunk area to accommodate a larger or different shape filter. My comment about other HEPA filters wasn’t about the ones designed for the current model 3 filter slot. It was about HEPA filters in general in the world. Just because the filter they currently have in the S/X/Y isn’t the right size or shape for the current model 3 frunk area doesn’t mean they couldn’t solve this with the new design.

Reactions: Olle
I ride also and hadn’t really thought of it like this, maybe blinker buttons wouldn’t be horrible.

The yolk still doesn’t sound like something I’d want though.
Physical buttons on the wheel - even if just membrane-style - are superior to a completely flat surface where buttons can't be identified by feel.

If Tesla does go the direction of no steering wheel, mandatory autopilot I am 100% out. I'll be buying another brand. I like to have control over my car. That's the whole fun part of driving, that connection to the road. The freedom to control the responses.

There is zero percent chance of that happening with this current redesign. I don't even think there's a chance of them going yoke with this redesign. What happens after 2028ish is anyone's guess...

Reactions: travis3000
I ride also and hadn’t really thought of it like this, maybe blinker buttons wouldn’t be horrible.

The yolk still doesn’t sound like something I’d want though.
Aftermarket has you covered:
pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753

There is zero percent chance of that happening with this current redesign. I don't even think there's a chance of them going yoke with this redesign. What happens after 2028ish is anyone's guess...
I think there is a decent chance. S/X already switched and the CT has consistently been shown with a Yoke. Yokes is clearly Tesla's direction. It's possible that they will make it an option on the 3/Y or maybe it will come with the Performance model or something.

Reactions: gglockner
That would work for me.

Has anyone here habituated to using the sideview video on the screen when changing lanes (and not the mirrors)? I haven't and don't know if it's the position or the size of the video or habit.
For me, it’s the wide angle of the camera is that makes it difficult to determine exactly how far the overtaken car is behind me. I could never trust the camera only. I will sometimes check the screen visualization to see if I’ve cleared, but always use rear and side mirrors.

Reactions: Brou
Aftermarket has you covered:
pxl_20220517_224046885-jpg.805753

I think there is a decent chance. S/X already switched and the CT has consistently been shown with a Yoke. Yokes is clearly Tesla's direction. It's possible that they will make it an option on the 3/Y or maybe it will come with the Performance model or something.
Tesla will lose out a lot of customers if their volume model 3 (often sold to first time owners) only comes with a yoke. Especially a yoke which is a chopped up steering wheel and not adjustable steer ratio - drive by wire. Expecting that folks drop $50k+ on a new car and then also add an aftermarket steering wheel is funny.

For me, it’s the wide angle of the camera is that makes it difficult to determine exactly how far the overtaken car is behind me. I could never trust the camera only. I will sometimes check the screen visualization to see if I’ve cleared, but always use rear and side mirrors.
I can say the same thing about myself, once I had a chance to ride an audi e tron and there I can’t imagine how convenient digital side mirrors can be, I would still prefer to look through real

Especially a yoke which is a chopped up steering wheel and not adjustable steer ratio - drive by wire.
Exactly. Yoke is fine in a Formula 1 race car where the driver never has to turn the yoke more than 180 degrees. It's not good in a road car where you have to turn the wheel more than 360 degrees trying to navigate through parking lots.