Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Catching up on this thread... I sold my 3 with FSD and want to get it on my new S.

I was planning on doing the late night 100mi drive and park it in the garage for a week trick, but are they not letting anyone in right now? Also is 98 still the cutoff score? Thanks!

Catching up on this thread... I sold my 3 with FSD and want to get it on my new S.

I was planning on doing the late night 100mi drive and park it in the garage for a week trick, but are they not letting anyone in right now? Also is 98 still the cutoff score? Thanks!
I don't think anyone has really gotten in since late last year.... I tried for 2 months and got tired of paying for features I don't really use. And I don't know if anyone really knows what the cut-off score is either.

Take this for what it's worth...... Tesla FSD Beta to roll out to everyone in North America this year

Last edited:
Guys, I'm losing my patients with this safety score. I've lost count of the number of red lights I've had to run to avoid "hard braking." You basically cannot use the brakes at all without a ding. Also, my wife screws up my safety score when she drives, and she has absolutely zero intention of ever using beta (if we ever get it).

In any event, I successfuly did an opt-out reset earlier this week. My score went back to 100. Prior to that, the opt-out reset was not working.

I have never had sucess with a soft reboot, even when done immediatly after the ding.

Does anyone know if people are actually getting into beta? The safety score is making us drive more dangerously, sadly. And I'm going to throw in the towell if nobody is getting in at all.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Does anyone know if people are actually getting into beta?

AFAIK nobody new in the US has been added in months at this point.

New folks in Canada were added over the last 2+ weeks and I expect more will be in the future.

Based on known and estimates #s (roughly 60k in the US on the program and total NA FSD owners being around 4x that from Troys data) it means roughly 25% of all possible owners are already in the beta (and a higher % if you discount those who don't want it or are not eligible due to low scores or older HW).

So it seems like Tesla has "enough" US testers. Thus there's unlikely to be any major additions to the program unless one of these happens:

A major rev (v11 perhaps) where there's a substantive need for more than 25% of the eligible fleet to provide new data
or
Wide release- in which case everyone with FSD and the right HW would get it.

Disclaimer: it's possible SMALL numbers of adds could happen at any time if they find some specific driving situation they need more specific data on-- in which case they could target folks who could provide it.

See the link I posted above, re: Elon's comments at Cyber Rodeo.

That's just a rehash of the same "FSD WILL TOTES BE DONE BY END OF YEAR" promise he's made year after year now.

He THINKS it'll be done this year. He thought (and claimed) it last year too. And the year before that.

When asked about this yesterday at the TED talk he reiterated he thinks it'll be THIS year this time but could be wrong. Again.

Plus of course if you release it to everyone it's no longer a closed beta after all- which is what we have now.

Reactions: Enginerd
Nobody knows and Tesla isn't communicating much. One would hope that if they really knew they were done adding "early" testers for months (or forever), they would've just removed the button, or had their servers kick people back out of the queue after pushing it.

The most charitable view is that they've been intending to add new entrants from the queue for all these months, but have kept repeatedly missing their own targets for when they'll have a stable-enough release for it to make sense (which, after this many months, would imply they're performing pretty terribly against their own expectations and estimations, so it's still not a very positive view in some sense). The least charitable view would be that they've known they have "enough" US testers for now since ~Xmas and they've just not put in any effort to disable the button/queue in the US and/or communicate about it (which is pretty infuriating to those stressing over safety scores right now).

The most recent Elon tweet/announce activity (closest thing we have to Tesla official comms) related to all of this has been basically 3 interesting things:

1. Most times, in recent months, if someone asked him when/if new US entrants in the queue will get in, he's ignored the question and said nothing.
2. In mid-March, he directly said "If this version performs well, we can probably lower min safety score to 95" in response to a tweet which said: "Maybe elonMusk will expand the Beta program w/ this release. The peasants are getting restless", which had quoted the 10.11 release notes as the version referred to by "this" in both cases.
3. At the Cyber Rodeo event, he declared (in speech) that FSD Beta would go out to all FSD customers "this year" (presumably meaning it's still an opt-in beta, but everyone can just click the button and read a disclaimer and get in?).

The other interesting data point is that an initial batch of cars in Canada have gotten in from the queue while we've been waiting in the US. This implies that the current releases aren't so bad on quality that they're afraid to inflict them on new users, or they probably would've delayed that as well.

So, the murky reality underneath all of this that we have no direct knowledge of, plus all the ways in which various things could evolve or go off-track in the near future, leave a lot of room for pointless guessing! My personal bets for the most-likely outcomes at this point are:

1. Eventually a 10.12.x goes to new US queue entrants sometime in the next ~6-8 weeks, starting with most/all existing testers, then new entrants with ~98+ scores, and eventually moving all the way down to 95s (or not, who knows), possibly over the course of a few of bugfix point releases. (and then who knows after that how things go for wide release of a later version to all FSD customers). This could even still happen with a 10.11.x release, although it seems less likely with every passing day. It would mean either 10.11.3 moving to being based on 2022.8 or 2022.12, or an (unlikely, we're guessing) backwards push for a bunch of cars that are already past 2022.4. They did move ~all existing testers up to 10.11.2, so that's something.
2. They're confident enough in the nearness of their release to "all FSD customers" that they don't bother with any further pushes from the safety score queue in the US and make us wait for that, because they think it will be by ~Summer anyways (and then they'll miss their targets again and who knows when it will actually happen, maybe in 2023). We keep playing safety score games the whole time and never hear anything definitive and keep getting more frustrated the whole time.
3. Regulators and lawyers manage to derail everything before any of this happens and all plans go out the window.

plus all the ways in which various things could evolve or go off-track in the near future, leave a lot of room for pointless guessing! My personal bets for the most-likely outcomes at this point are:

It's been 5.5 years since Tesla first took money for FSD, and now it's been hinted that Elon hopes that everyone that paid for it will actually get the defeatured beta this year, over 6 years later, and that assumes that timeframe will actually be met. Why do we even discuss any timelines of his as if they have any reality? Last year he promised that FSD would be opt in for anyone that wanted it too. Things have been going "off track" for 2000 days now, but for that to be true you have to assume there was any kind of track to begin with.

3. Regulators and lawyers manage to derail everything before any of this happens and all plans go out the window.
Putting actual self driving cars on the road is fully legal and encapsulated in written law in multiple states. The only lawyers that will block this are Tesla's own lawyers.

Has anyone noticed their overall safety score jump up in the last week or so? Even though I’m not in the FSD beta anymore, I have Tesla insurance so the safety score appeared for me earlier this month.

I wasn’t driving super carefully like I used to in the days prior to getting into the beta last year, so my score ended up being pretty terrible, in the low 70’s - not that I care since it doesn’t affect my insurance costs and I don’t plan on re-joining FSD beta until it gets significantly better (or they increase the AP limit to 90mph).

Anyway, I checked it again earlier this week and my safety score jumped to the 90’s. Even earlier days that were low (60-80) now appear to be higher (80-100).

It looks like hard braking, unsafe following and agressive turning are less impactful to the overall score. Do we know if Tesla recently made a tweak to its algorithm?

Has anyone noticed their overall safety score jump up in the last week or so? Even though I’m not in the FSD beta anymore, I have Tesla insurance so the safety score appeared for me earlier this month.

I wasn’t driving super carefully like I used to in the days prior to getting into the beta last year, so my score ended up being pretty terrible, in the low 70’s - not that I care since it doesn’t affect my insurance costs and I don’t plan on re-joining FSD beta until it gets significantly better (or they increase the AP limit to 90mph).

Anyway, I checked it again earlier this week and my safety score jumped to the 90’s. Even earlier days that were low (60-80) now appear to be higher (80-100).

It looks like hard braking, unsafe following and agressive turning are less impactful to the overall score. Do we know if Tesla recently made a tweak to its algorithm?
The SS is based on last 30 days period, is it possible that some of your older "bad" scores fell out of the period? Also, it's miles weighted, it's possible that older than 30 days scores were with more miles causing heavier weight. Just guessing.

now that you mention it, about a week ago i was getting dinged really hard for breaking, more so than normal, leading to some lower scores, those seem to be gone now, hard to tell exactly since i didn't note the original scores but pretty sure it went up by a couple points or so... wouldn't' surprise me if they were adjusting it, the breaking one especially has been way over sensitive.

I believe I got a hard breaking ding for accelerating in reverse. Makes sense as the forces are the same. Anyone else?
Would not surprise me. With refresh model S you can get a hard braking ding on a steep downward slope even though you brake very slowly. You can brake hard on the same slope going up without a ding. I don't have the same issue with 2018 model S. So there is something different about the way they measure. I think the one accelerometer cancels out gravity (2018), and the other (2022) does not. Likely a different chip with different firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigma4Life
Guys, I'm losing my patients with this safety score. I've lost count of the number of red lights I've had to run to avoid "hard braking." You basically cannot use the brakes at all without a ding. Also, my wife screws up my safety score when she drives, and she has absolutely zero intention of ever using beta (if we ever get it).

In any event, I successfuly did an opt-out reset earlier this week. My score went back to 100. Prior to that, the opt-out reset was not working.

I have never had sucess with a soft reboot, even when done immediatly after the ding.

Does anyone know if people are actually getting into beta? The safety score is making us drive more dangerously, sadly. And I'm going to throw in the towell if nobody is getting in at all.
The car brakes FAR more aggressively in autopilot than I ever do yet I’m dinged.

Reactions: WheelsUp