Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security from the frontlines... (OR How to Hack A Model S talk at DEFCON)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry about that. PS. When I enter e.g. "DEFCON" in the forum search field and press the search icon, I get nothing. Perhaps Javascript from some third party site is required. Oh well.
To have a chance at finding anything you have to use advanced search, and even then chances of success are small.

Tesla not the only automaker at DEFCON

In addition to Tesla, Chrysler and its "Uconnect system" will get some attention at DEFON:

DEF CON 23 Hacking Conference - Speakers

This story in Wired
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
sounds so reckless that I actually hope it does not accurately reflect how the Uconnect vulnerability was demonstrated...

But if the DEFCON program is accurate, then it has a talk that will put a non-Tesla automaker in a very bad light...

It will be interesting to see how the different automakers react to having issues with their software exposed
- if I were Tesla, I would change
Bugcrowd | Your Elastic Security Team, better security testing through bug bounties and managed security programs
to offer some real money as a reward for responsible disclosure of real problems, since _up to_ 1k$ is nothing compared to the cost a vehicle software problem can incur.

Further, the offering of a juicy bounty is not only one more way of getting media attention, it also implies that Tesla considers its software trustworthy, which is a good signal to send.

In that light an e.g. 50k$ bounty would make sense. To me.

The only hacks which I consider vulnerabilities are hacks committed (a) remotely, and (b) with app remote access disabled in the menu. Any such hacks are actually dangerous. Anything else... meh. "Local" hacks, of course, are things we want to be able to do to soup up our cars (once they're out of warranty).

The only hacks which I consider vulnerabilities are hacks committed (a) remotely, and (b) with app remote access disabled in the menu. Any such hacks are actually dangerous. Anything else... meh. "Local" hacks, of course, are things we want to be able to do to soup up our cars (once they're out of warranty).
Remote access is actually quite a useful feature; think for a moment about having the ability to turn on the A/C before returning to your car on a sweltering summer day, knowing whether your car has finished charging, and so on. You should be able to leave remote access enabled in your car and still be secure, assuming you chose a suitably strong password. Why would such an attack not be considered a vulnerability?

Also realize that all Remote Access calls go through Tesla servers and do not connect directly to the car, likely limiting the ability to really hack the car through remote access.

Also realize that all Teslas are on the AT&T cellular network.
Even though all remote access calls should go through Tesla servers, this doesn't mean that the car isn't exposed to the open internet.

A bad actor with your car's IP address and the right credentials or authentication bypass will be able to make a call to all available API functions. If they are able to find further vulnerabilities, they could also perform functions that are not directly accessible through the "public" API as well.

I'm guessing this last part is what we are going to see at DEFCON

In USA Today 7/22 there is an article about 2 guys hacking into a Jeep driving down the road at 70 mph.

Yeah, was on the nightly NBC news last night as well. This was a bit melodramatic but sure glad it was a Chrysler/Jeep! My parents already think the Tesla is going to be hacked all the time since I bought it ;-) This is going to be become a key safety concern and issue for autonomous driving especially in the next 5-10 years though - needs tackled.

If only I had poster that story yesterday in this very thread. :)

I also posted a thread yesterday morning in the cars & transportation section:
Security in the Connected Car era... Jeep remotely victimized

I don't believe that Tesla is immune, but I think it's in a much better position than the other manufacturers. A significant number of those Jeeps will remain unpatched for a very, very long time, given that it requires either a USB stick upgrade or a visit to the dealer.

Even though all remote access calls should go through Tesla servers, this doesn't mean that the car isn't exposed to the open internet.

A bad actor with your car's IP address and the right credentials or authentication bypass will be able to make a call to all available API functions. If they are able to find further vulnerabilities, they could also perform functions that are not directly accessible through the "public" API as well.

Correct - sniff the traffic on your wifi network when your Tesla is connected and you will see plenty of traffic goes directly out over the Internet (Browsing, music, etc.) Makes sense that all remote access capabilities are only through the VPN communicating with Tesla servers, but this car definitely has an IP address on the AT&T network. When you're out and about (Not on wifi), go to www.whatismyip.com and you'll see your IP (Which should be a private address on AT&T's network.)

It's known that Tesla uses OpenVPN to talk to the mothership, and that the "front door" is locked (talking to the car directly via IP address).

I discussed in the other thread how I think a real weak point to be exploited in ALL connected environments is unauthenticated/unsigned firmware updates. I believe it's highly likely that several of the modules used in the car are from suppliers who haven't thought to secure their firmware. That's my speculation as to what DEFCON goes after.

They still have a month or so, if the vulnerabilities have been disclosed to them already they could easily get a patch out before then.

I don't think it would really ever be an issue for an owner. Most of these vulnerabilities are quite complicated and in general anyone with the skill to do them couldn't be bothered to actually use them. Not always though. It also depends on what the vulnerabilities are. If its just allowing someone to remotely get some of your car data, that's not a big deal. If its honking the horn and unlocking the car, that's a bigger deal, although not really something to be concerned about. If it allows the car to be put into drive, that could be a major issue.

Marketing is where the real issue will be. The local news will undoubtedly pick the story up and run with it regardless of the extent or practicality of the vulnerabilities.

Nowhere does it say these are remote vulnerabilities. You might need physical access to the car for them.

Well, not necessarily. A lot of stuff has a public IP address, but it doesn't mean that you can get in there and mess around. As a software architect, I would probably build a lot of security into the communication between the car and Tesla's servers for control issues, even if none of them are particularly dangerous (like steering or braking). Lots of certificates, VPN, token exchanges, etc... there's a lot you can do that would make it crazy hard or impossible for the car to answer to anyone other than the mothership. The only attack vector that makes me nervous is getting new firmware installed, which I believe you have to confirm, and I assume the confirmation prompt has some kind of check for signed code or something.

Mostly talking out of my rear... I don't know how their magic works. :)