Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A similar episode would be the same error code on the car screen
Even though we didn't see the alert screen in the car, the observed behavior was identical-- an attempt to charge on a prior working CCS station that was always reliable, get connection and charging initialization, the Tesla "T" on the charge port goes from blue to green, back to blue, then red, all of this with no change to the adapter firmware but a stated update of the car's firmware.

get connection and charging initialization, the Tesla "T" on the charge port goes from blue to green, back to blue, then red

I've seen that sequence with my home J1772 adapter. :)
It is not unique by any means. By the way, the fellow can check his notification list for that error message after the fact.

At this time I'll say that the SC video might be the same story but I cannot say that with confidence. I imagine (and hope) that clarification will happen soon regarding the original report. FWIW, Tesla has in the past not been shy about publicly telling 3rd parties to back off from adapter solutions. A European DC vendor comes to mind. A directed block without any communication to the public or the vendor would be atypical.

Last edited:
I called back to make sure Tesla has not blown me off, the issue is escalated to a senior agent and they are investigating and will get back to me.
I pointed out that in Canada, Electrify Canada NO LONGER offers chademo plugs for new stations so even the Tesla Chademo adapter is not good enough (Electrify America Will Begin to phase out CHAdeMO In 2022).
We at least deserve communication as to a valid reason it is blocked as this would set a precedent that NO 3rd party would ever want to make products for Tesla.

I can confirm it's disabled for me.

Car firmware 2021.24.3
Setec firmware V145 (this is my "go to" for all local chargers)

Attempted on Flo AddEnergie SmartDC, and on IES-Synergy 24 kW Chargepoint, both had the same car error messages, both were used before with V145.

Looking at the car charge port, it went from flashing blue, flashing green, blue, then car alert beep and tesla logo turned red.

Errors:
CP_a143 Unable to charge - Incompatible charging adapter - Try different charging equipment
BMS_a063 Unable to charge - Disconnect and retry

In both cases the charger thought it was charging (but at no power), but the car had stopped.
On the Chargepoint IES-Synergy I had to use the emergency stop button in order to safely get the car to release the charge port.
Unable.jpg
Unable 2.jpg
Unable 3.jpg
firmware.jpg
redlight.png

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
I think there are 2 main possibilities currently.

1. Tesla decided that they don't want people using 3rd party adapters, either because they are imminently going to release their own version for sale and are being anti-competitive about it or because a few people have fried their car's electronics using the "risky" Setec firmware version that is supposed to give the higher charge rate (i.e. more than 50 kW on Model 3/Y).

2. Since Tesla is working on their own CCS1 adapter, they may have instituted a new, additional check in the vehicle firmware to support that which the Setec adapter obviously failed. Their intention not being to specifically prevent use of the Setec adapter, it was just some collateral damage of the vehicle firmware changes to support their own hardware.

We'll have to wait and see which it was.

Last edited:
By the way, I called it back in mid January:
Don't forget, this is a piece of 3rd party hardware. I certainly won't be that surprised if some future minor vehicle firmware change that Tesla implements via an update ends up breaking (accidentally or otherwise) whatever Setec gets working. The fact that it is taking so many revisions for the adapter to consistently work is evidence of how finicky and particular these charging systems are.

I think there are 2 main possibilities currently.

1. Tesla decided that they don't want people using 3rd party adapters, either because they are imminently going to release their own version for sale and are being anti-competitive about it or because a few people have fried their car's electronics using the "risky" Setec firmware version that is supposed to give the higher charge rate (i.e. more than 50 kW on Model 3/Y).

2. Since Tesla is working on their own CCS1 adapter, they may have instituted a new, additional check in the vehicle firmware to support that which the Setec adapter obviously failed. Their intention not being to specifically prevent use of the Setec adapter, it was just some collateral damage of the vehicle firmware changes to support their own hardware.

We'll have to wait and see which it was.

Fair summary. I also wondered about the bolded part. One person who posted in the forum that he had fried his electronics never answered my question whether he planned to submit a warranty claim to Tesla or take responsibility. It would not take many fraudulent warranty claims before Tesla justifiably blocked SETEC.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Fair summary. I also wondered about the bolded part. One person who posted in the forum that he had fried his electronics never answered my question whether he planned to submit a warranty claim to Tesla or take responsibility. It would not take many fraudulent warranty claims before Tesla justifiably blocked SETEC.
I think I have seen two people report that the SETEC adapter, using experimental firmware, fried their car, and in both cases they had Tesla repair it under warranty. You are correct that Tesla may have dug into the root cause of the failures and have implemented remidiations.

I think I have seen two people report that the SETEC adapter, using experimental firmware, fried their car, and in both cases they had Tesla repair it under warranty. You are correct that Tesla may have dug into the root cause of the failures and have implemented remidiations.
But given the current understanding, the experimental firmware spoofs a "Supercharger" with the charging screen showing "Supercharging" while the current normal firmware emulates a CHAdeMO, with the charging screen showing the same display a CHAdeMO would (with no "Supercharging" text).

These should be easily distinguishable from their logging yet the "CHAdeMO" emulation is blocked (not sure if anyone has tried the Supercharger emulation lately with this blocking version of Tesla firmware).

Although if Tesla didn't know of the two firmware types and did get an adapter to block and they didn't look at their logging during use of the test adapter, likely they wouldn't know about or don't have the Supercharger experimental firmware to explicitly block only that.

Reactions: srs5694