Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
many tries with the card reader

Only got 39kW on Model 3. A couple of machines had Network error displayed on credit card reader.
Yes, I've seen network errors on EA's credit card readers. Why use them and by extension NFC? EA knows they're a problem (search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card). The interviews says using their app works better. So, I would start charging via their app. I believe the app is also the only way to get lower Pass+ pricing anyway.

Yes, I've seen network errors on EA's credit card readers. Why use them and by extension NFC? EA knows they're a problem (search Electrify America Talks Charging Network Problems, Has Solutions for credit card). The interviews says using their app works better. So, I would start charging via their app. I believe the app is also the only way to get lower Pass+ pricing anyway.
I can't speak for the other person, but in my case I only had 2G phone service, so I couldn't get the app to do anything and had to call their 800 number.

The price is currently down to $460. (Previously, that price was to agree to be a beta tester) Does this change anyone's mind?

Also worth noting this:

"(Price difference refund available only for 30-days-order)"

If you bought it at a higher price within a month, you may be able to get a rebate, or this may be forward-looking?

Tempted…but I really expect Tesla to make one and I would prefer to get an official one.
Maybe. Definitely a first-party capable adapter that can supply the car with 100+ kW on any charger capable of it regardless of M3/Y or MS/X would be better than this. However, right now there isn't a Tesla CCS1 adapter with announced specs, price, or even a hint of release date much less shipping dates. Until there is, I think with the new price this might just be a better buy than the first-party Chademo adapter.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Maybe. Definitely a first-party capable adapter that can supply the car with 100+ kW on any charger capable of it regardless of M3/Y or MS/X would be better than this. However, right now there isn't a Tesla CCS1 adapter with announced specs, price, or even a hint of release date much less shipping dates. Until there is, I think with the new price this might just be a better buy than the first-party Chademo adapter.
Better than Chademo - YES. Tesla did announce a CCS1 adapter for Korea which is where my hope comes from. Also the Chademo adapter dropped in price and as Chademo slowly dies here in the US, my hopes go up.

Here in Colorado the lower part of the state is better served by CCS, so that's where my desire comes from. I'm not needing the adapter yet, so I'm not in a hurry. If I knew I needed it in the next few weeks, I'd order it. Since I don't - I'm willing to wait.

Just a quick update from the sticks of PA.. I was one of the early adopters ordering back in November and receiving in December. As noted in my earlier posts, it was totally useless when I first got it. At that time it was $660.00 for a 'pre-order' and then the price as increased to over $900 in January . Setec support has been excellent (anyone that has sent an email has probably gotten a reply from Mila within a day or so!)

They have been very good at posting updates to firmware, and providing firmware to testers and those who inquire, before the firmware is released.

Perhaps my only complaint is that I feel like I was a beta tester, and still paid more than they are selling it for now. (oh well....)

As for speeds, on 2015 MS, I was connected to a 350kw BTC Power charger run by EVolveNY (NY Power authority). After much fiddling, and firmware updates, it did finally work. (I have found that on the EA stations with BTC Power and both 150 and 350kw chargers, that the 150's connect just fine, the 350's are a hit or miss affair). At low SoC, I was pulling 75 kw, or just about 200 amps. So it does work to its rated capacity if the charger is up to it and it's not a M3.

I'm with above poster, I do wonder if Setec is position to OEM this to Tesla. I do not believe they have delivered the promised CCS adapter in Korea. The US spec vehicles (at least the earlier ones), do not have the internals to handle CCS. The European CCS adapter requires the car to be modified as well.
While Tesla is a great engineering company, even they see the value in not reinventing the wheel (for example, how many parts are the Tesla are sourced from other manufacturers, like the steering column and controls on the MS?) Plus, even they have outsourced manufacturing of Superchargers to China.
That all said, to all the recent posters, thank you for sharing your successes and failures. I think these combined with the beta testers sending capture files to Setec have really made this a usable product.

I received my Setec CCS adapter in the mail today! Yea.
I briefly looked at the instructions, pretty simple.
I surfed to the Setec website, downloaded and installed firmware v141.
Setec MS Windows driver and firmware both installed without issue.
I jumped in the car and zipped down to my local 50kw CCS charging station provided by CalTrans. No connection wouldn't work. Grrr.
Drove down the road about 10miles and hooked up with an EA charger. The Setec connected right up and started charging.
In my M3, it started at about 48kw, then after about 15min went to 51kw. Ran for about 30 min with no issues.
I decided to check out the CalTrans charger a second time as it was on the way home.
Plugged in, fails. The guy charging next to me yells out, "I think that station is broke."
I break out the PlugShare app on my phone and check the station's reports. There were reports that station #2 had been broken since January.
It's Friday night, and lots of people stop for a snack and 30-minute charge instead of sitting on the freeway, so all the chargers are
pretty busy. I figure I will head down in the morning with some duck tape, a marker, and mark station #2 as bad.
Then I'll check out station #1 and update PlugShare.
As far as the adapter goes, it was pretty sticky getting the charging plug inserted into it the first couple of times.
I just sat on the ground and plugged in it and out about 10 times, and it really loosed up.
I suspect I will also put some grip tape or hockey tape on the Setec as it doesn't really have a handle to hold while
plugging it into the charging cord. Setec needs to update the surface texture, so it has ridges or a dimple texture to get
a good grip on it.
While other Setec users are busting out their adapters in the snow, I plan on giving mine a good workout with multiple runs
from L.A. to Las Vegas. I'll be stopping at all the charging stations along the way and seeing how they work in the heat!
I recommend if any is having issues with their Setec adapter, check with PlugShare to see if anyone is reporting issues with
the charging station. It's surprising how often they are broke.

case-in-point...

1C455784-5AE4-4180-B02F-C940605D2EB1.jpeg

Following

Hoping to for a viable CCS adapter for the Supercharger, and even destination charger, desert along CA Hwy 299 between Hwy 101 and I-5 in N. California. There are plenty of CCS options including absolutely free charging...
There are two CalTrans sites on this route with 50kW chargers. Either this Setec CCS adapter or the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter would allow you to charge at Tesla there.

So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed.
Yikes! Is this a test firmware from the Setec folks to hit > 125 amps on 3/Y, or something else?

So I played Russian Roulette with this adapter, and finally got the bullet in the chamber this time. I fried my charge port I believe. My car will not charge on either AC or DC.

As a clarification , I was using an experimental firmware that "spoofed" the Super charger protocol. Getting the car towed to the service center tomorrow. Hopefully it can be fixed.
Hopefully it can be repaired. You're much braver than I would've been.