Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your photo showed 120A x 427V. As I understand it, previous versions of Models X and S permitted 200A charging from this adapter, although of course the amperage would drop as the SoC rose. With the Model 3 and Y, the car limits the amperage to 125A. So the question is: What was your SoC when you took the photo? If it was low, then the Plaid may be doing the similar amperage limiting as the 3 and Y, which would limit the charge rate a bit. (I gather that the Plaid pack voltage is a bit higher, so the limit would be a little over 50kW.) OTOH, if your SoC was high, then the amperage may have been low because the car couldn't handle anything faster. In this case, it'll be interesting to know what happens at a lower SoC.
SoC was 50%-ish, and I have the CAN logs + teslamate data to confirm that it just parks right at 120A. This car is definitely limiting just like the 3/Y. This makes sense because the architecture of this car is basically a scaled up Model 3. The busses/computer layout are very very close to the 3/Y.

I actually typed up the 120A limit comment somewhere, but must have just imagined that I actually posted it here, hah. Anyway yes, the S/X now have this limit. If you search back, earlier in this thread I was able to charge my X 200A, which was like 75 kw with the adapter.

Here is a graph with the charge session data..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 3.26.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 3.26.35 PM.png
    301.9 KB · Views: 118
Getting ready to do a road trip next week. Loaded FW v150 before reading thread, but it seems like many are saying v141 is the way to go. Thoughts? Will be traveling from Atlanta to little rock through Bham and Memphis
If you plan on using any BTC power units, I would go with v150, otherwise v141 is pretty bulletproof for other charger equipment manufacturers.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I've had rotten luck with BTC on v150, one stall out of 12 worked across two different Electrify Canada and three different Petro-Canada stations. I'm going to try v145 next trip.
I hear ya. I've had the same trouble as you are with the BTC using v150. Mostly with the Petro-Canada's chargers, I get it to work about one in 20 times, and when I do get it to work, it only lasts for a minute or two max and then stops. It keeps giving me timeout errors. I've reached out to SETEC and they keep telling me that it is the BTC that isn't cooperating but then I mention that one day I moved to let someone else use it, a Ford Mach-E and it worked right away on his first try so I don't think it is the charger but a compatibility issue with the SETEC and BTC. I've been told to use v150 but I'm about to give up and perhaps downgrade to earlier versions. I saw a note from @Boeingpilot that he kept some older firmware.

I hear ya. I've had the same trouble as you are with the BTC using v150. Mostly with the Petro-Canada's chargers, I get it to work about one in 20 times, and when I do get it to work, it only lasts for a minute or two max and then stops. It keeps giving me timeout errors. I've reached out to SETEC and they keep telling me that it is the BTC that isn't cooperating but then I mention that one day I moved to let someone else use it, a Ford Mach-E and it worked right away on his first try so I don't think it is the charger but a compatibility issue with the SETEC and BTC. I've been told to use v150 but I'm about to give up and perhaps downgrade to earlier versions. I saw a note from @Boeingpilot that he kept some older firmware.
If you need an earlier firmware please pm

Your photo showed 120A x 427V. As I understand it, previous versions of Models X and S permitted 200A charging from this adapter, although of course the amperage would drop as the SoC rose. With the Model 3 and Y, the car limits the amperage to 125A. So the question is: What was your SoC when you took the photo? If it was low, then the Plaid may be doing the similar amperage limiting as the 3 and Y, which would limit the charge rate a bit. (I gather that the Plaid pack voltage is a bit higher, so the limit would be a little over 50kW.) OTOH, if your SoC was high, then the amperage may have been low because the car couldn't handle anything faster. In this case, it'll be interesting to know what happens at a lower SoC.
I have an August 2017 Model S and am seriously considering this adapter only if it can pull 200A. Where can I find documentation, either from the manufacturer for this forum to know if my car will actually get that?

I have an August 2017 Model S and am seriously considering this adapter only if it can pull 200A. Where can I find documentation, either from the manufacturer for this forum to know if my car will actually get that?

You should be able to read through this very thread and find other Model S owners who have reported that their vehicles charged at 200A with this adapter.

Speaking of charging speed, I checked their Amazon listing last night and I saw no mention of the 3/Y and new S/X being limited to 125A. IMO they need to add this info to avoid dissatisfied buyers.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
You should be able to read through this very thread and find other Model S owners who have reported that their vehicles charged at 200A with this adapter.

Speaking of charging speed, I checked their Amazon listing last night and I saw no mention of the 3/Y and new S/X being limited to 125A. IMO they need to add this info to avoid dissatisfied buyers.
It seemed super unclear. Some mentions of special firmware being needed?

Has anyone considered that this could simply be yet another counterfeit being sold on Amazon?
I've pretty much given up on buying junk from Amazon as you can't tell what it actually is and we know that Amazon has the integrity of a street vendor -- they'll sell anything you'll buy that gives them their markup.
I, personally, would be surprised if something can handle 200 amps without some sort of active cooling. I'll be happy to watch as others report their experiences though.
Its one thing if it's a lightening splitter to charge my iPhone while using ear buds (last useless junk I bought through Amazon). Its another if it can melt down the charge port of my $50K Tesla.

Has anyone considered that this could simply be yet another counterfeit being sold on Amazon?
If you look at the SETEC Power web site it has a link to the Lectron web site.

Looks legit to me.

Reactions: Rocky_H