Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Setec CCS to Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try a couple different micro usb cables. I had to use 3 different ones before my PC would detect it.
Thank you for that advice, I will try a different cable!
I'm sure he used the cable that comes with the adapter, a reboot is also an important step, one more thought, perhaps you need to run as administrator, right click the exe and select run as admin
My adaptor did not come with a cable. I did not know about the option to right click and run the file as an admin, not being a Windows user, but I will try that as well.

I'm sure he used the cable that comes with the adapter, a reboot is also an important step, one more thought, perhaps you need to run as administrator, right click the exe and select run as admin

Sorry mine did not come with a USB cable. The first one I found around the house did not 'work' either, the 2nd one did.

A chip specific driver may be required if the generic HID driver is not good enough.

The cable will be 'good' if it jerks the USB hosts' chain to say 'I am here , so here is my ID send me my driver, so you could get

1. sorry I hear you no driver available for you......bing. argh.....go load the driver, probably a .sys or and or .ini file
2. got it coming right up......bing. bong... you are good to go.

Great to hear that news. But a tesla adapter is only going to work with 2021+ Teslas with CCS PLC communications hardware. Setec will still be the answer for those with older cars.

What's stopping Tesla from offering a.) a new module that speaks CCS or b.) a smart adapter like the CHAdeMO adapter that translates from Tesla to CCS?

Reactions: Tectonic
What's stopping Tesla from offering a.) a new module that speaks CCS or b.) a smart adapter like the CHAdeMO adapter that translates from Tesla to CCS?
If I were Tesla, I would definitely want it onboard the vehicle. Firmware updates simply get pushed as needed. Easy to log failed handshakes and send them to the mother ship for analysis.

Else there will be a flood of complaints about compatibility plus a line of people at the SC waiting to get their adapter firmware flashed.

As it is, I bring our ChaDeMo adapter in for an annual firmware update. They’ve never told me, “It’s still current!”

• Informative
Reactions: JWardell
Try a couple different micro usb cables. I had to use 3 different ones before my PC would detect it.
I tried using a different cable to update the firmware in my Lectron CCS adaptor and it showed the adaptor was on COM3 and appeared to complete the update successfully. But right at the end of the update it displayed the same error message that I had before. I’m going to be away for the rest of the week so may not be able to test the adaptor until next week.

C6175291-D6A9-4427-8EFE-9D4C0AF6F143.jpeg

You likely jiggled the Micro-usb cable and disconnected it, here is a video showing the full process for updating the firmware, notice i show multiple cables, some do not get detected by windows as a usb device, but this longer cable did work:

In the video above I show how to check the version you have on your adapter using the EV debug tool.

If you did upgrade the firmware to 150 and it still fails, you could try 158 from here:

Here are the steps to run the 'test tool' connected to your laptop to capture debug info to send to Setec if you are able to do that at a station that does not work:

I tried using a different cable to update the firmware in my Lectron CCS adaptor and it showed the adaptor was on COM3 and appeared to complete the update successfully. But right at the end of the update it displayed the same error message that I had before. I’m going to be away for the rest of the week so may not be able to test the adaptor until next week.

View attachment 701070
Your screen shot shows a "success" status in the writer dialog followed by the "unhandled exception" error. My guess is that the firmware was successfully updated, but something went wrong when the program tried to terminate its connection to the CCS adapter. If so, the adapter should work with the new firmware. Unfortunately, I don't know of an easy way to verify the version of the firmware installed on an adapter. The only way I know to do this is to use the adapter to charge the car while running the data-capture program on an attached computer. The output will show the firmware version, like this, early in the capture:

2303: Comunication with charge
2306: Firmware version 157
2309: SLAC start

Of course, if you're having problems with the connection, it's possible that the data-capture program won't work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
Please, anyone who cannot get the adapter to work, please follow the steps to upgrade your firmware to v150.. this is the version i am using and it works as shown in all videos above: CCS Adapter Firmware Update | SETEC POWER
V150 is the latest version I see on Setec's site; however, there are more recent versions that fix problems with some charging stations. I personally tested V157 on a Volta station (V140, V145, and V150 did not work on that station), as detailed in some earlier posts of mine in this thread. Apparently there's also at least a V158. I don't recall who it was, but somebody posted a link to a site that's collecting both public and pre-release versions here. The caveat, of course, is that pre-release versions might have bugs that are known to Setec but unknown to us. If you're going on a road trip and expect to need the Setec adapter, my advice would be to load the latest release version (V150) and try to use it, but take a laptop with additional updates so that you can quickly update the adapter if you have problems at a charger. With any luck Setec will release new firmware soon; with at least eight versions between the latest release and the current pre-release version, they've presumably fixed several bugs.

Not confident, but I do believe Tesla can push firmware updates to the wall adpaters/chargers/chademo through the chargeport comms when they are plugged in to the car.
The wall connectors I'm not sure of. I think I may have heard something like that from a few years ago even with the version 2 wall connectors. The CHAdeMO adapters I know can't work like that. It does require a special tool for that, and even some service centers don't have the tool (my local one doesn't).

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Bad news, Setec blocked since Tesla firmware 2021.24.4:
Thank you for the posting. If Tesla has indeed blocked it in firmware, it recalls the Bell System of yore that wouldn't allow any third-party equipment to be connected to the network. The Carterfone decision by the FCC changed that in 1968. I guess I'll hold off on "updating" my firmware until the dust settles.