Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I reject my current delivery (HW3) for HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HW4 or HW3, there's no garuntee if you will need a HW6 or HW7 for FSD Level 4. It might even be HW9.
Same principle as deciding to get Galaxy S22 Ultra now or wait to get what people have been getting Galaxy S23 Ultra.

There's nothing wrong with Galaxy S22 Ultra. You can still make a call perfectly with it. If you don't have a phone now, having an older one is better than nothing but if you can wait, I would.

Similarly, getting Galaxy S23 Ultra doesn't mean Galaxy S24 Ultra won't come out. But Galaxy S24 Ultra is not in production now so it's a moot point.

We are talking about what's in production right now. Not past, not future, but now.

I am expected to get delivery of my 2023 Model S in 3 days. I just found out that the car I am getting has HW3 (with USS). I am confused whether to proceed with this or reject this and wait another couple of weeks to get another car with HW4. I am going to be taking enhanced autopilot not fsd.

can anyone please guide me as this would be my first Tesla so I don’t know too much about them?
HW4 is only part of the story. It has 3 more cameras and this supposed HD-Radar. Plus, who know if the code is equivalent to the HW3 or they need more coding

But if one is not getting FSD, then what does HW4 mean really? What we see right now is no USS vs USS.
I assume the extra computation power will benefit basic AP and EAP too. And even if you’re not interested in FSD now, you might decide to subscribe later if it improves enough.

I knew HW4 was coming, though I didn’t know when, but I was under no time pressure so I waited. I don’t rely on Park Assist much, so I’m okay giving up the sensors. At some point the vision-based Park Assist will be good enough (for me).

Reactions: Destiny1701
Just so I’m clear, you’re just now receiving a car that was built in January? I thought these cars were “just in time” from the factory after ordering? I would definitely wait and get the upgraded hardware. Also, how do you know it only has HW3?

But if one is not getting FSD, then what does HW4 mean really? What we see right now is no USS vs USS.

Legacy can be anything or any permanent changes made along the production timeline could cause a whole new set of ‘legacy’.

New brakes…legacy.
Swivel screen..legacy
New taillights…legacy
🤷🏽‍♂️
USS is one of those features which makes the legacy model more valuable lol
I have to assume once Tesla feels they've got Tesla "pure vision" based functionality perfected in their view, the latest software won't even address USS - so USS will be useless? Only if Tesla decides USS is necessary and adds it back in production, will an older model with USS be "more valuable" - and I am sure Tesla won't regress unless there is absolutely no other way.

Reactions: CleanDemon
HW4 will be more capable than HW3, that's the point at the moment.

I was in your shoes on HW2 to HW3...then, after waiting almost 6 years for FSD level 4 to fruition.....it doesn't matter. lol....just get any tesla gen you want...browser is inadequate compared to my IPAD (lower cost relative to infotainment)....my Nintendo Switch is much more enjoyable than the games on the infotainment.....I got sick of the infotainment after the user experience on the IPAD and Nintendo Switch exceeded the experience of the infotainment.

Doesn't mean there will be additional cameras. It could be for the Semi or Cybertruck. We know cars delivered (S/X) with HW4 do not have additional cameras.
I'm pretty sre they are going to put a camera in the nose (there's a dead spot-I have the scratches in the fron tbumper to prove it) and 2 more in the rear so they can do 360 view otherwise why would they have all those camera ports and the rumor is it will be in the refreshed models 3 and Y.
I mean what's the point of having more camera ports? He took out USS to save $120/car. His motto is the less parts the better

Reactions: jrr6415sun
I'm pretty sre they are going to put a camera in the nose (there's a dead spot-I have the scratches in the fron tbumper to prove it) and 2 more in the rear so they can do 360 view otherwise why would they have all those camera ports and the rumor is it will be in the refreshed models 3 and Y.
I mean what's the point of having more camera ports? He took out USS to save $120/car. His motto is the less parts the better
I explained a possibility. The CT and Semi have more cameras. Tesla is using the same HW4 on the entire lineup, which previously said by Elon.

The SEXY cars could get one, but it's not for sure and we know HW4 in the S/X doesn't currently