Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So all model S are 100D now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading this thread I went to the Tesla Canada site and I can't seem to figure out if they are still offering the sunroof on the 100D. I don't see it as an option or maybe I have dyslexia.

here in the USA it is (or was until very recently if things have changed) an "off menu" item.

you can't order it online, but if you speak to a Tesla sales rep, they can order it for you. not sure if the cost is the same was it was months ago... i'd call your local store and ask.

here in the USA it is (or was until very recently if things have changed) an "off menu" item.

you can't order it online, but if you speak to a Tesla sales rep, they can order it for you. not sure if the cost is the same was it was months ago... i'd call your local store and ask.
That seems to make sense and I'd bet that is the same deal up here.

I am not looking to replace mine (yet) but I am always checking prices on their website and doing fictional builds. For me, I will likely get a new Tesla if and when they cross the 800km range mark. My thinking is simply that even with 40% range loss, I could still get 480km in range in the winter, which is more than I would need (even on my worst days) without needing to stop for a charge.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
After reading this thread I went to the Tesla Canada site and I can't seem to figure out if they are still offering the sunroof on the 100D. I don't see it as an option or maybe I have dyslexia.

I currently have a 70D loaner (P90D is getting serviced) and even though it is winter I do miss my sunroof. Dont get me wrong the full glass is beautiful but seeing all that glass makes me want to open it and full the fresh air

Don’t be bummed. That car is just as perfect now as when you ordered it. The fact they’ve now changed the available configurations makes no difference to the car you bought. And would you have spent the extra money? You could have spent extra money in September, the 75D was a better deal. That better deal is gone now. I think you made the smart choice.

3 months in I feel kinda fooled because this makes a world of difference:
  1. Faster charging speed (400V pack, larger, V3 capable?)
  2. Larger capacity
  3. Exact same day-to-day usage as a 100D
Let me explain point 3:

Noone ever supercharges to 100%. At least it's very rare. So usually up to 80%. Well a software limited 100 pack on the new SR will allow you to supercharge to 90-100% with no problems all the time.
This means that the effective day-to-day use and especially for supercharging you will get the exact same range and benefits as you were driving a 100D without software limit.
In other words. A very cheap 100D.

Last edited:
like i mentioned in the X thread, honestly won't the regular give you the same performance and range at a lower cost?

same battery packs, so you can charge the low range S/X to 100% every day or the extended range to 90% every day. You will end up with the same real world range and battery degradation on each but you will have saved 8K.

Yeah, if you don't mind charging your battery to 92.5% every day which is NOT recommended

Me, I’d think seriously about the P85D. It’s an awesome car.
There are discussions here about the battery pack numbers on the 90D, so that should tell you what you need to know as far as whether the battery pack is the one you want. If you do go for the 90D, I might be inclined to buy one of those inexpensive cameras they have on Amazon, the ones on the end of the long cable meant to look behind walls in houses. I think they’re about $40 or so. That would make finding that number a lot easier.

I’m old. I’m going to spew some advice. That’s what old people do. It makes us feel better, sort of like maybe all our experience won’t die with us. It will, of course. I try to keep that idea mushed down, deep under a heavy blanket of denial.

I think “obsolete” is a user parameter rather than a car parameter, sort of an “eye of the beholder” thing. Newer choices don’t make a particular car less useful, nor in my mind less desirable. For others, though, the car does become less desirable as new ones become available. That view lowers prices. For you that’s good. You’ll be able to get 95% of the car for about 50% of the price. Plus you’ll probably get the lifetime supercharging. And you benefit from the missteps of others, knowing about that early 90 battery for instance. That’s no small thing.

Now take the amount saved by accepting that “obsolescence”, and plug it into a “time value of money” calculator. Figure time to 65 or so. If you plan to finance, then use the interest rate in your TVOM calculations. That will tell you the true amount that the idea of obsolescence costs in real value later on. No one ever figures they’ll be old. They will, though. Unless they are unlucky, but let’s not go there. You’ll probably want to figure the value of money erodes over time, that doesn’t support my argument but it should be kept in mind. (When my grandparents were alive, they figured they could retire on $10,000). I guess the advice there is save all you can. That Tesla may be long distance car, with care it can go a very long way and it can last a very long time. It will put a wide smile on your face every time you drive it. So obsolescence in other people’s minds is your friend. I encourage you to use it, amigo, use it and smile.

Interesting move.
My suspicion is that this allows them to sell 100KW packs that don't meet spec and simplify the assembly lines.
-2nd, the faster supercharging reduces congestion at superchargers and increases Tesla's profit per minute at a SC station.
-They are moving to miles rather than KW but we all know what battery is in there.
-My P100D Ludacris is now 15k cheaper than when I bought it. My 75d looks like a bad buy at 78k when a 100d is now 85k. But oh well. This will def hurt resale values.

I said in another thread Tesla should do a ~105KW pack and 350miles of range. People disagreed but I was looking it it from a business standpoint rather than consumer. If Tesla adds any weight or redesign to the car, they have to go through EPA and crash testing again. The 100 barely made it due to weight, got nicked on rollover. They can't afford to add any weight. My suggestion was a chemical change to battery allowing slightly more range to hit 350 miles on the extended range version. I still think this is a possibility as it would not draw their resources away.

I do find 20k for Ludicrous pretty interesting. That's a lot for better acceleration and less range.

-Everyone would love faster supercharging but past 108 and the A/B stall thing doesn't function anyway. The existing stations only do 144 per pair. Tesla have moved in the opposite direction adding 72kW chargers all over recently. Elon must disagree with the Porsche strategy. In terms of the model 3, I would agree. A 3 can charge at 116? and with only a 75KW pack, that's quite fast charging. If I were Tesla, I would not allow charging at SC over 90% if the stalls are full.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Damn, I am bummed I bought the 75D in Sep... if I had held out for a bit more I could have gotten 400V and a lot higher charging speed + possible V3 capabilities. DOH.

I'm in the same boat -- took delivery Sep 30. The trade-off is that I (we) received the $7,500 federal tax credit that no longer exists in 2019. In hindsight, I still would have waited and bought this version of the 100D. Anyway, it is what it is.

Reactions: emmz0r
If Tesla adds any weight or redesign to the car, they have to go through EPA and crash testing again. The 100 barely made it due to weight, got nicked on rollover

I find it hard to believe that a Model S ever came close to having rollover issues when they couldn't even get the Model X to rollover. While I agree a battery change would potentially require EPA testing and crash testing, I fail to see that Tesla is weight constrained.

Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
Me, I’d think seriously about the P85D. It’s an awesome car.
There are discussions here about the battery pack numbers on the 90D, so that should tell you what you need to know as far as whether the battery pack is the one you want. If you do go for the 90D, I might be inclined to buy one of those inexpensive cameras they have on Amazon, the ones on the end of the long cable meant to look behind walls in houses. I think they’re about $40 or so. That would make finding that number a lot easier.

I’m old. I’m going to spew some advice. That’s what old people do. It makes us feel better, sort of like maybe all our experience won’t die with us. It will, of course. I try to keep that idea mushed down, deep under a heavy blanket of denial.

I think “obsolete” is a user parameter rather than a car parameter, sort of an “eye of the beholder” thing. Newer choices don’t make a particular car less useful, nor in my mind less desirable. For others, though, the car does become less desirable as new ones become available. That view lowers prices. For you that’s good. You’ll be able to get 95% of the car for about 50% of the price. Plus you’ll probably get the lifetime supercharging. And you benefit from the missteps of others, knowing about that early 90 battery for instance. That’s no small thing.

Now take the amount saved by accepting that “obsolescence”, and plug it into a “time value of money” calculator. Figure time to 65 or so. If you plan to finance, then use the interest rate in your TVOM calculations. That will tell you the true amount that the idea of obsolescence costs in real value later on. No one ever figures they’ll be old. They will, though. Unless they are unlucky, but let’s not go there. You’ll probably want to figure the value of money erodes over time, that doesn’t support my argument but it should be kept in mind. (When my grandparents were alive, they figured they could retire on $10,000). I guess the advice there is save all you can. That Tesla may be long distance car, with care it can go a very long way and it can last a very long time. It will put a wide smile on your face every time you drive it. So obsolescence in other people’s minds is your friend. I encourage you to use it, amigo, use it and smile.

Some good points there. Not sure how "old" you are, but I am likely at least as old, and I am enjoying my 2015 S70D. I resisted the temptation to upgrade to a newer car when my lease ran out, and bought the car from the lease. Maybe not the best deal on paper, but the car has been quite reliable and is configured as I want. If I recall correctly, 70 battery has highest ratio of actual available energy to nameplate of any of the Tesla batteries so far, and my car has features no longer available (gray leather, steel springs, sunroof, Alcantara dash and headliner). In my younger days, I always had used cars and prided myself on driving them (nearly) into the ground. Whether or not that works for a Tesla will depend on availability of service and parts, so we will see....

As many have already said, this is basically a roundabout way to reduce the price on the 100 without pissing off people who just bought the car (either 75 or 100). This is probably going to be very temporary. Basically they now can sell the 100kwh car at 85k for reasonable profit. Pretty clear that in the near future the 100kwh battery will become the base car with a higher kwh car being the extended range version. Probably in the near future with new battery.

As many have already said, this is basically a roundabout way to reduce the price on the 100 without pissing off people who just bought the car (either 75 or 100). This is probably going to be very temporary. Basically they now can sell the 100kwh car at 85k for reasonable profit. Pretty clear that in the near future the 100kwh battery will become the base car with a higher kwh car being the extended range version. Probably in the near future with new battery.

Totally agreed. I was just about to pull the trigger on a used 100D yesterday when they changed the prices - so glad I didn't. With the huge price reduction, I think I am going to wait for AP3 hardware to be added to the MS in the next couple of months and then either still get a 1-2 year old MS after the accelerated depreciation kicks in after the price decrease, and inventory one after the price change drops those prices or just buy a loaded new one for around $90k. Unless you find a 2017/2018 with FSD already purchased, I have a feeling buying a new software limited 100D MS w/ AP3 will end up being the best option.

Reactions: Keith909man
A 3 can charge at 116? and with only a 75KW pack, that's quite fast charging.

A long range Model 3 can max out the current Superchargers at 120 kW, although 116 - 117 is more common, just like in the S/X100. I expect the long range to be able to take advantage of some of the increase provided by Supercharger version 3. Speculation: topping out at 150 kW between 15% and 40% state of charge.

This upgrade is a big value increase for the base Model S & X. You get faster charging because it's a 100 kWh pack; charging to 100% on the base version is the same as charging to 92% on the extended range, so you won't get that taper at the top (assuming the locked buffer is at the top); real-world road trip legs are significantly extended over the outgoing 75 kWh pack and are the same as the extended range and performance S/X (assuming you charge from 10% to 60 or 70% and continue on to the next charger).

Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
Interesting move.
My suspicion is that this allows them to sell 100KW packs that don't meet spec and simplify the assembly lines.
-2nd, the faster supercharging reduces congestion at superchargers and increases Tesla's profit per minute at a SC station.
-They are moving to miles rather than KW but we all know what battery is in there.
-My P100D Ludacris is now 15k cheaper than when I bought it. My 75d looks like a bad buy at 78k when a 100d is now 85k. But oh well. This will def hurt resale values.

I said in another thread Tesla should do a ~105KW pack and 350miles of range. People disagreed but I was looking it it from a business standpoint rather than consumer. If Tesla adds any weight or redesign to the car, they have to go through EPA and crash testing again. The 100 barely made it due to weight, got nicked on rollover. They can't afford to add any weight. My suggestion was a chemical change to battery allowing slightly more range to hit 350 miles on the extended range version. I still think this is a possibility as it would not draw their resources away.

I do find 20k for Ludicrous pretty interesting. That's a lot for better acceleration and less range.

-Everyone would love faster supercharging but past 108 and the A/B stall thing doesn't function anyway. The existing stations only do 144 per pair. Tesla have moved in the opposite direction adding 72kW chargers all over recently. Elon must disagree with the Porsche strategy. In terms of the model 3, I would agree. A 3 can charge at 116? and with only a 75KW pack, that's quite fast charging. If I were Tesla, I would not allow charging at SC over 90% if the stalls are full.

The additional 20k for ludicrous is a bargain for that level of performance compared to other luxury sports sedans that are ICE, hybrids and SLOWER ;). Look at the Porsche Panamera Turbo, etc. I got a 14k discount due to the car being an inventory car. I test drove it and bought it. Amazing car. With the full fed tax credit and no sales tax on EVs in DC, it was way less expensive than the competitors.

I only drive on ludicrous mode and most likely will have bought the Porsche if it wasn’t available. Having ludicrous mode makes for a totally different car even with the same battery pack.

The S may have issues but rollover is not one of them. In fact, the chance of rollover is very low, low center of gravity, compared to all other cars due to the weight and placement of the battery pack.

It's $8K no get rid of the nag - every time you get in the car it will tell you that charging >90% is not good for the battery - just like the software limited 60D's.

You don't know which on which side of SOC is the battery locked.
Yeah, if you don't mind charging your battery to 92.5% every day which is NOT recommended

And assuming, that the software lock is on the full SOC side, which is a pure speculation... It might be limited from both ends or even just by having a bigger brick protection buffer on the near empty SOC.