Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 17.17.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you reporting that changed behavior of the same signs? Based on others' reports and my own observation, it does not appear that road signs are read by the car. Many times I pass signs with no speed limit update on the IC.

Can definitely confirm that 17.17.4 is still not reading speed limit signs. I drove past around 4-5 today, and the local speed limit was still reporting differently.

Reactions: ABC2D
17.17.4 doesn't fix driver assistance features like autosteer and cruise still goes away... I got 17.17.4 installed yesterday morning and AP features were working fine... but today in the morning I had to drive about 150 miles and all driver assistance features were unavailable... car did not show any lanes and any cars on dashboard.... a cruise and autopilot icons were not showing at any moment during the drive :( I used to have same thing every few days AP was going away for a few days... :( just FYI that it stays the same on 17.17.4 unfortunately...

17.17.4 doesn't fix driver assistance features like autosteer and cruise still goes away... I got 17.17.4 installed yesterday morning and AP features were working fine... but today in the morning I had to drive about 150 miles and all driver assistance features were unavailable... car did not show any lanes and any cars on dashboard.... a cruise and autopilot icons were not showing at any moment during the drive :( I used to have same thing every few days AP was going away for a few days... :( just FYI that it stays the same on 17.17.4 unfortunately...
After visiting SC 3 times for the same issue in the past 1 month, SC told me it will be fixed by 5/13 via OTA. If it is not the case I will request them to replace all the necessary hardware.

yeah but i also like the idea of having the router closer to the garage. is anyone else finding the wifi connection on the mx or ms not that strong?
Yes to both. Many of us successfully find a pretty dumb wifi router or hub that connects to the Tesla, put it close to the Tesla, and the Tesla still has trouble getting much signal strength, but that seems to be the best we can do. Smarter wifi routers don't help, and the Tesla has a pretty weak wifi. But it works!

In my case, I have a dedicated specialty wifi network where multiple wifi nodes cooperate to coordinate the same signal and has seamless roaming throughout my quarter acre. The problem with wifi is that generally it was designed to not compete against telephone companies. The company that built that great seamless roaming system that I got got clobbered by the big telcos and the company responded by removing the feature from their later software and hardware updates. As a result, I specifically run their older hardware and software. And it works great. The Tesla was a later addition. I had to give it a specialty virtual wifi network with lower capabilities since the Tesla doesn't have very high wifi capabilities, but once I did that, everything works great on it.

After visiting SC 3 times for the same issue in the past 1 month, SC told me it will be fixed by 5/13 via OTA. If it is not the case I will request them to replace all the necessary hardware.
Luckily 17.17.4 did fix my "Cruise not available" problem. So far it is still working this morning and driving much better than it did before the bug showed up three weeks ago.

Most updates are marked attempt on wifi, for 2 weeks, and download on LTE anyway if it doesn't work out. So long story short, your updates can be delayed by around 2 weeks if you're not on wifi.

That has not been my experience. I don't have a WiFi connection and I have received updates on the first or second day a couple of times. On those occasions the update was shortly after an hour plus long drive.

That has not been my experience. I don't have a WiFi connection and I have received updates on the first or second day a couple of times. On those occasions the update was shortly after an hour plus long drive.
Was there any way to know that the car is downloading an update before it's finished? I tried troubleshooting my WIFI problems with my mx. I moved the router about 20 feet away and still can't get it to connect. I have no idea what to do now. :p

Ok guys I got some answers from a VERY reliable source , let's just leave it at that.

1- rebooting / powering off does nothing as it relates to updates: unless , and it's a big if ; for some reason the download stuck. This is not common.

2- the updates go out in batches ; sometimes its specific to who based on geography ( for example if the update was to how the heating system worked they may target northern regions first ) or people who are closest to service centers. However the mass majority are 100% random.

3-with this current update it's in batch one ; which is 2-3k people who are eligible to get it . As of this post 900 total people
Have downloaded it . So most do not have the ability as of now .

The last large update went out in batches: 2500 first batch - 5000 second - 25000 third - etc each with 1-2 days separating them .

If a bug is found and they just pushed it all at once it would overwhelm the call centers and service centers so it releases this way for a very good reason.

4- if your car has been chosen it will try only via wifi for 3 days ; after that it will start attempting on the cell signal.

Hope this clears up some confusion and questions for everyone !

JV

I just showed up and asked.

Note: I do have it documented with Tesla that my X seems to have irreconcilable differences with my home wi-fi.

@alcibiades I know this is sort of off-topic but I have seen some people say that having a DNLA media device on the same network as your Tesla will cause the Tesla to continually disconnect/reconnect. (It seems that people with this problem end up creating a guest network just for their Tesla(s) and that resolves the problem.)

Reactions: Ulmo and alcibiades
@alcibiades I know this is sort of off-topic but I have seen some people say that having a DNLA media device on the same network as your Tesla will cause the Tesla to continually disconnect/reconnect. (It seems that people with this problem end up creating a guest network just for their Tesla(s) and that resolves the problem.)
My testing seems to indicate that if you have multiple access points with the same name (i.e. so it works seamlessly around your property) - the car often selects one of the weaker signal ones (read far away). Give it a dedicatd network to connect to on a nearby access point and it has no choice so the situation improves dramatically. Probably explains results from the guest network setups too.

Reactions: Ulmo
3-with this current update it's in batch one ; which is 2-3k people who are eligible to get it . As of this post 900 total people have downloaded it . So most do not have the ability as of now .

The last large update went out in batches: 2500 first batch - 5000 second - 25000 third - etc each with 1-2 days separating them .

Not doubting you or trying to shoot the messenger, and really appreciate you trying to add to the conversation, but the facts don't quite make sense.

This update has gone to 2,500 people, of which 900 have downloaded it. So why does EV-FW show 21 people got it on Saturday and then only 2-3 on Sunday/Monday. If 65% of the updates are still outstanding, how is the rate on EV-FW so off for the last two days after being much faster on the first day?

Second, the last big update was 17.11.10. You say this went to the same amount (2,500 people) in the first batch. But it hit 80 cars in the first 3 days, while 17.17.4 is at 28, which is one third the rate.

First day numbers:
17.3.2 (first AP2): 140
17.5.28: 55
17.9.3: 20
17.11.3: 133
17.11.10: 42
17.17.4: 22

Not doubting you or trying to shoot the messenger, and really appreciate you trying to add to the conversation, but the facts don't quite make sense.

This update has gone to 2,500 people, of which 900 have downloaded it. So why does EV-FW show 21 people got it on Saturday and then only 2-3 on Sunday/Monday. If 65% of the updates are still outstanding, how is the rate on EV-FW so off for the last two days after being much faster on the first day?

Second, the last big update was 17.11.10. You say this went to the same amount (2,500 people) in the first batch. But it hit 80 cars in the first 3 days, while 17.17.4 is at 28, which is one third the rate.

First day numbers:

Ev-fw only reports what people report unless they have the API for it to be automatic . I for example don't even think I've updated my car for the last update.

But I do understand you are calling out the ratio.

The prior update roleout what an estimation that was not looked up directly. Source stated " like the others rolled out in similar manner " maybe I should have made that more specific ( I should have know the analytical smart folks would find some error on that front )

The current data was exact and from a source is accurate. I don't have anything to prove or mind if there is someone who thinks their estimation or hypothesis is better than my data . I'm merely giving a rare glimpse at very accurate information.

So that being said ; dont use my " prior update " data as fact - as I don't even know which prior update was being referenced and I didn't ask.

Hope that helps- thanks for asking so I could clear that up

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865

First day numbers:

900 people who have registered with EV-FW have downloaded it - which probably means two or three thousand folks without registrations have.

Also, in the other thread someone noted that all three cars today were at the service center for work, so they are an exception to the normal queuing.

Reactions: Pilot4Hire102