Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 17.17.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get an update without WiFi, but it often takes 1-2 weeks.

This is looking to be one of the slower roll-outs of AP2 software. Only 19 people on ev-fw have it after about 36 hours, when many releases are at 100-200 cars by now. This is even slower than the previous AEB release which only made it to about 25% of the cars but rolled out twice as fast. In fact, given the velocity of updates yesterday and then the sudden stop, makes me wonder if they found a bug that halted the release. Nothing like releasing software on a Friday evening to ruin some engineering team's weekend.

Moral of the story: Don't be suprised if you don't have 17.17.4 yet. Most people don't, and only time will tell if they send this to all cars or not.

Last edited:
Can you get software updates without wifi connected? My garage is a good distance away from my router and I can't get the car to connect even though I'm able to with my ipad or phone.

The way I've heard it explained: An update can be (and most updates apparently are) marked as "first try on wifi" along with an amount of time to try, and what to do if it fails to get wifi during that time.

Most updates are marked attempt on wifi, for 2 weeks, and download on LTE anyway if it doesn't work out. So long story short, your updates can be delayed by around 2 weeks if you're not on wifi.

The way I've heard it explained: An update can be (and most updates apparently are) marked as "first try on wifi" along with an amount of time to try, and what to do if it fails to get wifi during that time.

Most updates are marked attempt on wifi, for 2 weeks, and download on LTE anyway if it doesn't work out. So long story short, your updates can be delayed by around 2 weeks if you're not on wifi.
man that stinks. let me try to run the router closer to the car. I gotta literally pull the coaxial cable closer

man that stinks. let me try to run the router closer to the car. I gotta literally pull the coaxial cable closer

Drive to a store with free wifi and connect there and try. But right now there's only a 10% chance that your car has it scheduled. and there's a chance they have halted the updates given nobody has reported getting it today.

Reactions: AmpedInAustin
Very few people drive at the posted speed limit. Lots of speed limits were due to Jimmy Carter and saving federal funding during oil crisis (more economical at lower speeds, odd/even days, etc). The speed limit should be 80MPH on all freeways. Anyone that can't safely drive a sedan at 80MPH on the highway has no business driving.

AP2 needs to be improved to the point where it can safely operate at 120MPH, or within the limits of tire traction. This will give a good margin of safety at 80MPH.

I'm of the mindset that in the US a freeway and interstate are the same thing. Maybe you are differentiating between the two?

We have Interstates that are in mountains or have noticeable curves and banks. It can be fun to be blocked in between 10+ semis on a two lanes each way section of I-40 or I-81 that's curvy. I doubt the DOT would boost the speed limit above what it is in some sections.

I've driven cars in the past that didn't feel safe at 80 mph even though I've driven way faster than that on an interstate in cars that felt safer.

Good news is as the older cars are retired the entire US fleet capability is increasing. I doubt many chevy chevettes, geo metros, and such are running the road.

I'd have no complaints about increasing the maximum speed limit on large mostly straight mostly flat interstates across 90% of the US though if they want to do that. But some states don't have minimum speed limits and/or don't post signs that state the minimum speed and I think once you get up in the higher speed limits a lot of minimum speed signs would need to be posted also.

You can get an update without WiFi, but it often takes 1-2 weeks.

This is looking to be one of the slower roll-outs of AP2 software. Only 19 people on ev-fw have it after about 36 hours, when many releases are at 100-200 cars by now. This is even slower than the previous AEB release which only made it to about 25% of the cars but rolled out twice as fast. In fact, given the velocity of updates yesterday and then the sudden stop, makes me wonder if they found a bug that halted the release. Nothing like releasing software on a Friday evening to ruin some engineering team's weekend.

Moral of the story: Don't be suprised if you don't have 17.17.4 yet. Most people don't, and only time will tell if they send this to all cars or not.
Two cars are reporting downloads today now. May also be on the weekends some cars are actually on the road and not in the (wifi'd) garage.

I'm of the mindset that in the US a freeway and interstate are the same thing. Maybe you are differentiating between the two?

We have Interstates that are in mountains or have noticeable curves and banks. It can be fun to be blocked in between 10+ semis on a two lanes each way section of I-40 or I-81 that's curvy. I doubt the DOT would boost the speed limit above what it is in some sections.

I've driven cars in the past that didn't feel safe at 80 mph even though I've driven way faster than that on an interstate in cars that felt safer.

Good news is as the older cars are retired the entire US fleet capability is increasing. I doubt many chevy chevettes, geo metros, and such are running the road.

I'd have no complaints about increasing the maximum speed limit on large mostly straight mostly flat interstates across 90% of the US though if they want to do that. But some states don't have minimum speed limits and/or don't post signs that state the minimum speed and I think once you get up in the higher speed limits a lot of minimum speed signs would need to be posted also.

No same thing. One should be able to safely drive 80 MPH even with curves/mountain roads, at least on the stretches. Of course hairpin turns you may need to slow down, etc. at user discretion.

I think this update might be reading speed signs. Typically my car notices the speed changes after I pass the signs. I noticed today that the car reacts to the Speed signs ahead of time.
Are you reporting that changed behavior of the same signs? Based on others' reports and my own observation, it does not appear that road signs are read by the car. Many times I pass signs with no speed limit update on the IC.

Reactions: boaterva