Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone running software 2018.10.4 try to load Dærik's inventory page in the cars browser (running with the old MCU)?

According to Dæriks video the car with new MCU can load this page... So if someone is running on the lates 2018.10.4 and old MCU can open this page we can assume the browsers on new MCU and old MCU are the same....
For those on 2018.6.1 the page will not load. The car Dærik tested were running 2018.6.50...

Also, can someone actually make a comparison showing UI between the 2018.6.1 vs 2018.10.4?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Question: For those who have the power liftgate, does the app allow you to at least close the liftgate remotely? It would be a shame to accidentally open it while it's parked at the airport or some other public place when you're not around and not be able to close it until you were physically there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can close the trunk with the app. The picture shows the trunk open. You push the button and wait 6-7 seconds then the picture shows the trunk closed. It doesn't let you know if it is opening or closing in real time, but does change the picture once it is opened or closed. The car makes a beep letting you know the trunk is opening or closing but the app does not beep. You also don't get a notification if you accidently press the button and the trunk is now open. If you happen to open the app, you can see the picture with the trunk open, go to controls and close it. Don't hit the button twice. Hit it once and wait at least 10 seconds to see if the picture changes or it will start closing then open again and stay open.

Finally got my own chance yesterday to try out Autopilot on 2018.10.4. This is a major improvement! This is what I expected from Autopilot when I bought the car and what "silky smooth" was supposed to be! It's so smooth, it seemed eerie at first (almost too smooth); I wasn't aware how subconsciously accustomed to how "Nervous Nettie" (what I dubbed earlier incarnations of Autopilot) drives that I had become—it seems she truly learned how to drive over night. And I am incredibly grateful that she no longer takes the "swerve of death", as @THXULTRA calls it, when it crests small blind rises in the road!!!

It's a source of curiosity for me in how it handles lane splits and forks. It confidently selects one or the other without the previous temporary confusion. I haven't figured out how the new algorithm is biased during these splits and forks. Sometimes, it seems to favor one, sometimes another. My initial impression is that it favors the left while on freeways (which avoids taking off-ramps), and the right while on surface streets (or "local roads" if you prefer that term).

It does seem to trigger sudden braking for phantom objects and imminent collision warnings more easily than before; but that could have just been chance events.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if 2018.10.4 improved AP1's capabilities too? Or is it just AP2?
Hmmm, I thought AP1 was sent down directly by God and an example of Platonic perfection, and knew all things past, present, and future? Are you telling me that someone actually thinks AP1 could possibly be improved, or that an AP1 user might be a little envious?

Or, as I said it before:
Yeah, but AP1 would toast bread and butter it for you, too—just the way you like it. And it had wings, too, and could fly. AP2 will never reach parity with the mythical AP1! And kids have no respect like they used to, either. Ahh, the good ol' days...

Last edited:
Can someone running software 2018.10.4 try to load Dærik's inventory page in the cars browser (running with the old MCU)?

According to Dæriks video the car with new MCU can load this page... So if someone is running on the lates 2018.10.4 and old MCU can open this page we can assume the browsers on new MCU and old MCU are the same....
For those on 2018.6.1 the page will not load. The car Dærik tested were running 2018.6.50...

Also, can someone actually make a comparison showing UI between the 2018.6.1 vs 2018.10.4?
If the page is teslainventory.com it tells me "webpage is not available". 2018.10.4. and 2017 MCU.

UI and web browser are both perhaps twice or more snappier than they used to be.

New audio eq setting limits beat me. I guess they are related to MCU update. Now my aftermarket setup has too much bass even with -8dB. I needed to take it to DSP tuning anyway, so quite lucky I did not do it before this update.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
If the page is teslainventory.com it tells me "webpage is not available". 2018.10.4. and 2017 MCU.

UI and web browser are both perhaps twice or more snappier than they used to be.

New audio eq setting limits beat me. I guess they are related to MCU update. Now my aftermarket setup has too much bass even with -8dB. I needed to take it to DSP tuning anyway, so quite lucky I did not do it before this update.

Thank you! Yes that was the web page. I am just curious why the new MCU with software 2018.6.50 is able to load this page, and not the old MCU with the new software 2018.10.4?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I've had a chance to drive 2018.10.4 on all of the challenging local roads in my AP 2.0 Model X. Even with 2018.6.1, I still had to take over so many times that AP was unusable.

With 10.4, it's like an entirely new car. I'm blown away at how good it has gotten.

I'll try not to repeat the observations of others on this thread. All the good things they have experienced are consistent with what I'm seeing.

My key takeaways are:

It handles sharp left hand curves better than sharp right hand curves - it tends to run wide on the right hand curves, once to the point of crossing the double yellow lines. The few times that I had to take control were related to this. This needs to be improved.

Over and over, I find myself exclaiming "wow, it handled that perfectly!" To which my passenger responded, "I thought you were driving." I can't think of higher praise for how good it's gotten.

Another thing that impresses me is how much smoother it accelerates and decelerates in response to adjusting the speed up or down 5/10/15 mph. It no longer surges in response to big changes.

I agree with others who noted that reading speed limit signs should be among the next big features to add. The GPS database has no idea about the correct speed limit for most roads in my area.

Congrats to Tesla on such a huge step up in autopilot control! I can't wait to see what's next.

e we can assume the browsers on new MCU and old MCU are the same....

They are the same. It's always been the same browser. There is no new browser (yet).

The user agent for the browser has always been, and still is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux) Apple WebKit/534.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtCarBrowser Safari/534.34

The User Agent for MCU2 is identical, except for including the new computing platform "x86_64" (in bold):

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) Apple WebKit/534.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtCarBrowser Safari/534.34

WebKit/534.34 was released in May, 2011. If they do upgrade the browser and stay with WebKit, I'd like to see something 603.1.1 or greater (released just under two years ago).

It is possible though that the supporting libraries (Qt or otherwise) for the Intel x86 64bit processor are providing some service or feature previously unavailable on the Tegra platform.

But the browser itself, is unchanged.

I had a couple instances yesterday on 18.10.4 when approaching stopped vehicles about 55mph it waits too long and applies the brakes abrupt and harsh......this still needs work
Anything 45mph or less seems fairly polished

Yeah, it's improved but not all the way there yet. At 45 ish or less, it seems to identify cars from pretty far compared to before and continuously slows down to a smooth stop. Before, that number was maybe 35mph and even then, it would bounce between identifying (slowing down) and losing (speeding back up) before acquiring and suddenly slowing down again.

Hopefully they have additional improvements in this area, but definitely this build identifies stopped cars from a significantly longer distance away compared to before.

It also seems to do a MUCH better job of understanding cars that are slightly offset into your lane. I encountered two construction vehicles that were parked on the shoulder but actually a foot inside my lane. 2018.10.4 stopped for them, (falsely) showing a car fully in my lane ahead of me. I was ready to take over, but was shocked that the car did the right thing. Unfortunately in my area large construction trucks do this all the time so I was confident previous builds would've plowed into the truck without intervention.

I had a couple instances yesterday on 18.10.4 when approaching stopped vehicles about 55mph it waits too long and applies the brakes abrupt and harsh......this still needs work
Anything 45mph or less seems fairly polished

Based on my driving on local roads it even stops for completely stopped vehicles like trucks parked and clogging the lane, this is a major improvement as with previous versions it was like playing a game of chicken. It seems like the NN changes have allowed the AP to rely much more on the cameras with the ability to classify cars and trucks more like the MobileEye platform could.

Can't wait for iterations on this build and to get the side repeater cameras active!

A couple of my immediate observations that I haven’t seen here:

1. Letting autopilot go in a left turn lane at an intersection(don’t judge, I like testing it out to see what it’ll do), the behavior has changed. In <= 2018.6, it would silently fail to turn completely and start heading into the ooncoming traffic in front. Now, it sees what’s going on and throws up the red hands and gives up control. I’d consider the latter to be correct behavior, until FSD is available.

2. Lane change is smoother but I actually preferred the quicker, more aggressive lane change previously. I chalk this one up to personal taste.

Those aside, as everyone else has said, dramatic improvements across the board.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Based on my driving on local roads it even stops for completely stopped vehicles like trucks parked and clogging the lane, this is a major improvement as with previous versions it was like playing a game of chicken. It seems like the NN changes have allowed the AP to rely much more on the cameras with the ability to classify cars and trucks more like the MobileEye platform could.

Can't wait for iterations on this build and to get the side repeater cameras active!

One thing I'll say about MobileEye/AP1: For "normal" shaped cars (e.g. cars that are dead-on straight relative to you, two brake lights and a license plate in between), AP1 actually visually identifies them from a really far distance. Actually, I'd STILL say farther than AP2 with the latest update.

However, the huge problem with AP1 is still that the weirder the car looks (e.g. those Ford Transit Connect vans, cars with bike racks behind them, Fiat 500's or Smart Cars, garbage trucks, etc), the less it's willing to identify them without radar assistance. And if it's the broad side or a diagonal view of the car, it won't recognize it at all. AP2 seems a lot more capable of recognizing a variety of car-like shapes in just about every orientation, and I think that reflects the highly updatable nature of the AP2 architecture of using a GPU and a pure software defined neural net.