Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving and AP1 and AP2 vehicle I can say they have been both improving together. On 6.1 ap1 started getting reliable on crests of hills, and not little hill bumps, but big mountains of Pennsylvania crests. 10.4 brought ap2 up to speed and ap1 got even better over hills and they are both pretty solid. There’s still a couple of sharp curves into crests of hills that ap1 is tackling because it slows into the curve and ap2 is failing because it barrels into the turn and slows down too late.
So just to confirm for us AP1 owners, you are saying that you have 10.4 installed on your AP1, and it has substantially improved how it handles hill crests. Correct?

I haven't seen this, but maybe my touch on the stalk is a little different than yours. I can do an initial two pulls to enable both TACC and AS. Or I can pull once for TACC and then pull two additional times for AC. Certainly I've done the later case with a long delay between TACC and AS. I'm pretty sure I've done it with just a few seconds between when I screw up and just start TACC.
I can get AS to engage with a very fast double pull on the stalk. Almost like it's one motion. I'm having a hard time imagining what we are talking about. I will say that I have to wait a while to rengage if I try to AS and it's not ready to engage with the two lane lines, etc.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
With this update on my 17 AP2, I now have the confidence to keep AP on in carpool lanes without being jerked to the right whenever a merge/crossover gap comes up. That was really irritating before, and almost douchey in appearance like: hey to my right... I’m gonna side swipe you... sike!

My rain sensing wipers are working great especially during this little storm here in Socal. A very good and noticeable improvement so far.

I did get two reboots today all within my morning 40 minute commute

With this update on my 17 AP2, I now have the confidence to keep AP on in carpool lanes without being jerked to the right whenever a merge/crossover gap comes up. That was really irritating before, and almost douchey in appearance like: hey to my right... I’m gonna side swipe you... sike!

My rain sensing wipers are working great especially during this little storm here in Socal. A very good and noticeable improvement so far.

I did get two reboots today all within my morning 40 minute commute

I have never had the mcu reboot n it's own. 2 cars over a year. I have had to reboot a couple of times because GPS would stop working or the center screen would go blank. But never anything while driving.

Same issue with wipers. Were working fine and suddenly stopped working while highway driving. Wouldn’t trigger despite completely covered, had to do it manually. Like if it had hanged.

Other observation, when the HD maps were first rolled out, the speed limit would display exactLy when driving next to the panel. It was hugely precise. In recent updates, not so much. Nothing huge (not 50m), but enough to wonder if something has changed.

I was also stuck in traffic on the highway and the car was behaving like a drunk at very low speed, like if it was constantly trying to re-center. Had to eventually stop AP as other drivers probably thought I was drunk or trying to be funny. But in a not funny way.

Last, as other mentioned, the change lane takes a bit more time. A couple of times, I ended up stopping my blinkers too early for that new timing and my car violently swayed back on my original lane. Drunk-style again. I always hated that behavior: if you initiated, finish it, don’t use the blinkers as a command with arbitrary switching point.

All AP2 with 10.4

Definitely not on hold. I left on a long road trip without the update Monday (frustrated I didn't get it before going). Connected the car to wifi last night and had the update by morning. Return trip will be with 10.4. Excited to see the comparison, because a section of rolling hills caused havoc with autopilot on the trip out.
You will be very pleased.

My brake pedal just disengaged autopilot automatically without warning while I was in stop-and-go traffic. This was likely due to the stuttering/juddering. I think that's a first. I'm sure this was mentioned in that other thread that you're referencing.
I haven't experienced any juddering in the last 1,000 miles I just drove. Just pure awesomeness.

I just got 2018.10.4 over the air a little earlier today. I was on 2018.6.1. It gave me a little scare as I told it to go ahead and do the update now. Left the car for about 15 minutes and went back and everything was dead. All the screens, nothing making any noise except for doors unlocking. Couldn't open charge port etc. Reboot did nothings, etc. I let it sit for about another 15-20 minutes and it was still dead so I went in and called SC. They asked me to go back to the car and when I got there everything was up and running...phew!

I can't see any improvements in the notes except for remote trunk/frunk opening. I will test AP tomorrow to see if it is improved.
What is remote trunk open?

I was also stuck in traffic on the highway and the car was behaving like a drunk at very low speed, like if it was constantly trying to re-center. Had to eventually stop AP as other drivers probably thought I was drunk or trying to be funny. But in a not funny way.

All AP2 with 10.4

2018.10.4 has been a dream to use on my daily commute excerpt for one issue. THIS ^^^^ above AP2 with the new software in true stop and go traffic is completely unusable. Perfectly lined lanes, black top, no direct sun, no shadows (perfect conditions) and itnlitrrally will steer almost completely in either direction when traffic is creeping and stopping. Not necessarily dangerous at this speed unless you aren’t paying attention l but totally unusable.

Hope this gets fixed in a quick release.

2018.10.4 has been a dream to use on my daily commute excerpt for one issue. THIS ^^^^ above AP2 with the new software in true stop and go traffic is completely unusable. Perfectly lined lanes, black top, no direct sun, no shadows (perfect conditions) and itnlitrrally will steer almost completely in either direction when traffic is creeping and stopping. Not necessarily dangerous at this speed unless you aren’t paying attention l but totally unusable.

I've only experienced this once the day after I got the update. Been in traffic since without issues.

Reactions: BlueRocket

I have also noticed this... The car ping pong slowly in the lane. It's not unsafe but it makes you look like an idiot or drunk.

• Informative
Reactions: Xtek and Hbrink
What is remote trunk open?
Here’s the video:
The ultra sonics go off well before I reach the parked car
By your comment, I assume you are referring to the flash in the center display for the upper right fender. But keep in mind that for the front indicatiors, the radar "can" also cause a flash on the display. It doesn't necessary mean that the ultra-sonic sensor detected the car and generated a flash. The ulltra-sonic sensors area fairly short range.

By your comment, I assume you are referring to the flash in the center display for the upper right fender. But keep in mind that for the front indicatiors, the radar "can" also cause a flash on the display. It doesn't necessary mean that the ultra-sonic sensor detected the car and generated a flash. The ulltra-sonic sensors area fairly short range.
I know they are short range, it is almost as if the camera sees an object approaching, then they activate in anticipation of passing it.