Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Car drives itself

Interesting that it allows passing on the right (and maybe prefers it?). I guess I kind of wanted my future FSD car to be the most defensive driver ever, and for me to be the one to make less than optimum choices like that.

Will be interesting to see how much of a speed differential it can actually see. I had a guy pass me yesterday on my left going well over 100 when I was going 72 or so.

Reactions: ironwaffle and GSP

Car drives itself. Mad Max mode enabled. Turn confirmation is disabled. The car basically drives itself, whenever you see a blue line in the middle it's driven by autopilot.

Wow. Just wow! Thank you so much @dennis_d for doing this video. Its cracks me up seeing you peek around the GoPro to see whats happening on the IC. :-D Did you ever feel unsafe or did it do a good job of picking the right time to change lanes?

Last edited:
Interesting that it allows passing on the right (and maybe prefers it?). I guess I kind of wanted my future FSD car to be the most defensive driver ever, and for me to be the one to make less than optimum choices like that.

Will be interesting to see how much of a speed differential it can actually see. I had a guy pass me yesterday on my left going well over 100 when I was going 72 or so.

Considering it's allowed by law in California (and I'm pretty sure most states here), I'd prefer it to be willing to do so. Some others in Germany (and other places?) have already shown that both AP1 and AP2 are capable of "do not overtake on the right" behavior already, so I presume once this arrives in those locales, it wouldn't pass on the right.

So it DOES have to calibrate then? Interesting.
This is purely my interpretation of what is likely happening to 'calibrate' cameras. There appears to be a period where it continually takes input from multiple sensors - radar, camera, and ultrasonic sensors, and will keep getting data from the cameras and estimating differences between the three sensors and needs to reach beyond certain confidence interval limits before considering the camera data accurate in matching the other sensors. Obviously there is no radar data for the rear and sides though.

Considering it's allowed by law in California (and I'm pretty sure most states here), I'd prefer it to be willing to do so. Some others in Germany (and other places?) have already shown that both AP1 and AP2 are capable of "do not overtake on the right" behavior already, so I presume once this arrives in those locales, it wouldn't pass on the right.

It just looked like in one spot it had the option of passing on the left or the right based on the IC and chose the right. Now, we dont have view of the actual traffic, so maybe that was the correct choice due to someone slower in the leftmost lane.

I just dont want the car busting into the slow lane at 75mph with people merging in from those stupid clover leafs CA loves so much. I doubt the car will be able to see folks on the leaf who are about to merge in going much slower. AP is already terrible in that situation, so I always disengage and manually adjust my speed when dealing with entrance ramps.

Edit: I would also like the car to not hang out in other people's blind spots now that it knows they are there. Drives me bonkers when it does that and I usually manually adjust myself. But I drive like a Grandma in my 3 compared to most Californians.

Last edited:
Reactions: don123

Car drives itself. Mad Max mode enabled. Turn confirmation is disabled. The car basically drives itself, whenever you see a blue line in the middle it's driven by autopilot.
@dennis_d what was your confidence level into the system on this drive on a scale from "I literally took a nap" to "next time I enable this I need to wear diapers"?

I just dont want the car busting into the slow lane at 75mph with people merging in from those stupid clover leafs CA loves so much. I doubt the car will be able to see folks on the leaf who are about to merge in going much slower. AP is already terrible in that situation, so I always disengage and manually adjust my speed when dealing with entrance ramps.

Edit: I would also like the car to not hang out in other people's blind spots now that it knows they are there. Drives me bonkers when it does that and I usually manually adjust myself. But I drive like a Grandma in my 3 compared to most Californians.

As a leadfoot manual driver who usually sets his TACC limit at 88 when driving to Vegas, I totally get what you're saying.

But for initial v9, I wouldn't be surprised if driving etiquette like that is beyond the capability of the current software. As long as it behaves safely for the first iteration, I'm fine with overruling the system for etiquette violations. Just like how things are right now.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
@dennis_d what was your confidence level into the system on this drive on a scale from "I literally took a nap" to "next time I enable this I need to wear diapers"?

It actually drove pretty well, there were couple moments where I had to take over, cause I thought it going to do something stupid like turn between two cars in the very tight space (I was on Mad Max mode tho). Had two moments with phantom braking next to a track.

All the turns AP was doing itself, I didn't touch the stalk. There were two moments with red lines where I wanted to overtake (red lines) but it seems to handle it like a boss.

It actually drove pretty well, there were couple moments where I had to take over, cause I thought it going to do something stupid like turn between two cars in the very tight space (I was on Mad Max mode tho). Had two moments with phantom braking next to a track.

All the turns AP was doing itself, I didn't touch the stalk. There were two moments with red lines where I wanted to overtake (red lines) but it seems to handle it like a boss.

Great, thanks! What about the nags?

Reactions: DDotJ
As a leadfoot manual driver who usually sets his TACC limit at 88 when driving to Vegas, I totally get what you're saying.

But for initial v9, I wouldn't be surprised if driving etiquette like that is beyond the capability of the current software. As long as it behaves safely for the first iteration, I'm fine with overruling the system for etiquette violations. Just like how things are right now.

Very possible they dont have the bandwidth to make the car drive defensively yet. I also suspect it's a culture thing with Tesla. They make fast cars and tend to implement software features that appeal to more aggressive drivers who are probably the bigger customer base.

I remember complaining early on about the fact you cant set a 3's cruise control to anything less than the speed limit without unwanted acceleration and frantic clicking on the screen (and now scrolling on the wheel) and people were like "why would anyone ever want to set cruise less than the speed limit!?" It would have been easy enough to make the default behavior set your current speed always (and arguably the more conservative way to go to not surprise folks with acceleration when turning on cruise), but that wasn't how they chose to do it.

Since you don't need to do anything other then look around and hold the wheel it was fine :)
Thank you.

Was it a four lane highway? How many lanes does the IC display? Up to five or six?

Was the Forward facing cameras able to recognize cars three lanes over or was this a mislabeled car?
Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 8.06.43 PM.png