Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been thinking about the same the last couple of days. How is the car going to predict that you need to take over in 7-10 seconds? I can only imagine the scenarios where the maps stop at a certain point (or highway exit) or it goes from traffic jam to normal speed (that is probably the Audi system works in that case although they can't active it in the USA)
“Dave..... my mind is going.....l Daisey... daisey...

• Funny
Reactions: ironwaffle
Perhaps. I've been fortunate to have 40k of driving miles on my AP1, with no ghost braking to date. Conversely, I've driven three brand new AP2 / AP2.5 loaners on road trips running current software, with numerous instances of ghost braking that was downright scary at times. Hopefully, this becomes a thing of the past for everyone.
My experience as well. On more than one occasion the person behind me thought I was brake checking them. Not pleasant.

Clearly, I know nothing about what Tesla will bring back or not, but I suspect it's not coming back anytime soon, it's definitely alpha to meand it gets confused at times, like going all the way to left lane on the three lane highway to pass someone, only to realize the exit is coming up in less then 1 mi and it's gotta get all the way to the right, and instead of accelerating trying to break through to the right, it starts slowing and letting cars pass waiting for an opening to get to the right, and it slows more and more drastically as the exit gets closer, so imagine, going 77 down a highway in the left lane, to slow to 50 to get to the right, folks are not very happy with you...

Don't get me wrong, it's freaking awesome and very cool to watch it do it's thing, and it's going to be very exciting in a few more months I suspect.

I am glad they are delaying it. I was surprised they were going to introduce this brand new system of camera based blind spot detection AND let us run with it at the same time? That just seemed like an invitation to people doing stupid things on YouTube and a few high profile crashes later the whole thing gets taken away.

The posts over on Reddit about that feature were already concerning. People saying they would check it a “few” times at first to get comfortable, then stop double checking it after that and just trust the car is right. Since that is exactly what people are going to do with this system (human nature and all), the system needs to be rock solid enough to handle that level of trust in the majority of cases.

Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast.

I’m immensely disappointed they removed the auto lane change as well.
I believe it’s not as much a safety concern of Tesla (although I’m sure that is a factor) as it is that once it’s released and if it sucks at its execution of it then it just becomes a social media joke on all these forums and a “part trick” like summon is to most of us. Consequently nobody ends up really being able to use it.
And, If I’m reading @BigD0g posts correctly it sounds like it just isn’t ready for prime time yet. I’m sure they tried hard not wanting to miss yet another tweeted promise of “ soon rollout” but it just isn’t perfected yet.

My 2 cents anyway.

I am glad they are delaying it. I was surprised they were going to introduce this brand new system of camera based blind spot detection AND let us run with it at the same time? That just seemed like an invitation to people doing stupid things on YouTube and a few high profile crashes later the whole thing gets taken away.

The posts over on Reddit about that feature were already concerning. People saying they would check it a “few” times at first to get comfortable, then stop double checking it after that and just trust the car is right. Since that is exactly what people are going to do with this system (human nature and all), the system needs to be rock solid enough to handle that level of trust in the majority of cases.

Makes complete sense.

OK, a bunch of us (me included) got dragged off onto a discussion of AP1 vs. AP2. Let's remember what thread we're on.

I'd be happy if for AP1 cars we get: 1) all of the changes in 9.0 not dependent on the AP hardware such as the improved phone integration and new CID UI (not passing judgement on whther that's an improvement), 2) fixes for some long standing problems (cough media player cough), and 3) no autopilot regressions.

Bruce.

OK, a bunch of us (me included) got dragged off onto a discussion of AP1 vs. AP2. Let's remember what thread we're on.

I'd be happy if for AP1 cars we get: 1) all of the changes in 9.0 not dependent on the AP hardware such as the improved phone integration and new CID UI (not passing judgement on whther that's an improvement), 2) fixes for some long standing problems (cough media player cough), and 3) no autopilot regressions.

Bruce.
Yeah, I prefer to keep things on topic too. Hence, trying to keep my AP1 vs. AP2 comments limited / relevant to the updates of this software rev (parity, etc.). Will be interesting to see what everyone experiences, once the new update hits widely.

Reactions: josher32
No, they took it away.

To be crystal clear, Tesla didn’t take anything away. In 39.0, navigate on autopilot was completely hidden in the UI.

What we saw in some of these videos is from people that figured out how to force-enable it under the hood.

39.1 and 39.2 actually *added* the feature to the UI. They just didn’t include the auto-lane change functionality that still isn’t quite ready for prime time.

The navigate on autopilot feature is still really good; a single pull on the AP stalk will initiate the lane change... it’s a very natural way of driving!

Consider the videos we have here a nice sneak peek into what is (hopefully) coming not too far in the future!

Don’t forget sign reading! We are still waiting on that. Sign reading will unlock 20 miles of my daily commute to use AP2 that AP1 does just fine on now (AP2’s database is wrong on my highway).

I am a bit annoyed that sign reading appears to be dead last on the parity list.
Sign reading is cool and all, until it drives by a 50 sign with a tree branch in front and it turns to 80, and worse, a cross traffic 15 mile per hour tilted so slightly that it catches it on a 50 mph road and slams the breaks. I shot a video of this, and it's crazy. There's pros and cons to each AP version.

Sign reading is cool and all, until it drives by a 50 sign with a tree branch in front and it turns to 80, and worse, a cross traffic 15 mile per hour tilted so slightly that it catches it on a 50 mph road and slams the breaks. I shot a video of this, and it's crazy. There's pros and cons to each AP version.
I think that's why some folks have proposed (including on this thread as part of any future updates) a hybrid solution as the best approach (camera + database).

People seems to think that there are no other changes in AP if Unassisted Lane Change is removed but this is what appleguru says

"While not nearly as nice as the "unattended" EAP we have seen a few users demo, the new firmware is still pretty cool. It will:
1) Allow lane changes at any speed (not just above 30mph), and will slow down and find a place in traffic to merge. I used it today in heavy traffic to merge in moving 2-3mph. Was really impressive.
2) Suggest lane changes to pass slow moving traffic or to get ready for an upcoming exit/turn
3) Use maps to help with navigating tricky road sections... It was successfully driving on roads/turns it could never handle before today
4) Shows vehicles approaching from behind and in your blind spots (and if you have your blinker on, will show the lane line as red/will not merge until clear)
5) Displays different vehicle/object types (Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, Bicycles, Pedestrians)
6) Shows all adjacent lanes on highways (and traffic in at least the two adjacent lanes)"

Verygreen also mentioned AP feeling much better in v9.

Very true. I have had the 15 mile per hour problem with the current database system if the GPS for the side road is close enough.

To be crystal clear, Tesla didn’t take anything away. In 39.0, navigate on autopilot was completely hidden in the UI.

What we saw in some of these videos is from people that figured out how to force-enable it under the hood.

39.1 and 39.2 actually *added* the feature to the UI. They just didn’t include the auto-lane change functionality that still isn’t quite ready for prime time.

The navigate on autopilot feature is still really good; a single pull on the AP stalk will initiate the lane change... it’s a very natural way of driving!

Consider the videos we have here a nice sneak peek into what is (hopefully) coming not too far in the future!
Single pull on the Autopilot stalk??

That’s much better than having to use the turn indicator... because you don’t have to manually cancel it in S and X. (One thing better about 3)

Yes, maybe it will run in shadow mode and collect data first, then release to the public.

Exactly.

I am guessing auto lane change is still present in the "real" beta testers vehicles? But not the people who jumped the queue and "borrowed" the update prematurely? Seriously people you are getting disappointed or angry about something you shouldn't even know about yet.

Exactly.

I am guessing auto lane change is still present in the "real" beta testers vehicles? But not the people who jumped the queue and "borrowed" the update prematurely? Seriously people you are getting disappointed or angry about something you shouldn't even know about yet.
Probably because we have been getting promised this for, literally, years now AND being told it would be in v9. So when it was leaked and shown in v9 we thought we would finally get it. Instead, all we end up with is a blue, gray, or red line graphic on our screen and a few new icons but zero new autonomy features.

Yes BUT. If they ship it and the (morons) use it the way they (said morons) have treated autopilot recently, then worst case regulators will step in and then we will have ZERO autopilot at all. We went 2 years until the fleet became big enough with (said morons) that human nature did its thing and we all got screwed. So. at this point slowly is probably better.

ALSO Tesla DID NOT show something then yank it away. People HACKED their cars for tech that’s been running in shadow mode for a while. That’s why companies have NDA agreements for these things - to prevent people thinking (incorrectly) that they are somehow being denied access to something good.

It will come when it’s ready. And hopefully not a moment sooner.

Thanks for clarifying these points. So much has happened over the last week that it’s easy to lose sight of the facts.

Really appreciate you taking the time to share details and screenshots of v9. Looking forward to tomorrow!

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA

Sounds like something an extra 100 or so test drivers, logging 300-400 miles, would help with...