Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's totally legal to root a car. These people shouldn't be vilified but rather sainted for pulling back the Iron Wall and helping illuminate an unfairly opaque development process.
As Elon himself said - “true hacking is a gift”. I also agree with this. I totally applaud rooting a car if you want to. That’s not the same as what you then do with the information.....

However I don’t think that it’s fair to call a development process “unfairly opaque”. It’s a necessary part of dev. to make things that are way in front of what’s releasable. Threads like this just show the consequences of people seeing things they (maybe) would have been better not seeing until release?

Also if they showed their plans for, say one or two years out in a non-opaque fashion, nobody would buy a car today because they’d always be waiting for the next thing. Tesla is actually much less opaque than most manufacuters.

Elon on Twitter:
"Will V9 be the release of a new level of autonomy? Can’t wait to find out!

Yes."

So, without this, what new autonomy is in V9? It does appear that Tesla did tell us it was coming and then yank it away.

It could show up in V9.1 or V9.2 and his tweet would still be accurate.

To be crystal clear, Tesla didn’t take anything away. In 39.0, navigate on autopilot was completely hidden in the UI.
What we saw in some of these videos is from people that figured out how to force-enable it under the hood.

Does anybody have any thoughts, insight, etc on how to gain access to these "under the hood" features that we don't currently have access to in official builds/releases? I'm really hoping for some kind of web-browser exploit. Don't want to root my car but I want access to some of these settings just so I can have some (safe) fun.

It could show up in V9.1 or V9.2 and his tweet would still be accurate.

This is totally correct, and maybe what we all expected would happen from the get-go. However, teasing a real upgrade to autonomous capabilities would have validated Elon's tweet as simply read, and make v8.x -> v9.0 feel a little more substantial and less of a let down than was v7.x -> v8.0.

Does anybody have any thoughts, insight, etc on how to gain access to these "under the hood" features that we don't currently have access to in official builds/releases? I'm really hoping for some kind of web-browser exploit. Don't want to root my car but I want access to some of these settings just so I can have some (safe) fun.

My adventures in gaining control of my car

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: hobbes and rnortman
Read the Keen Lab PDFs, they have some info, of course those root methods were patched a while ago

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
It doesn't look like there's such a thing as safe fun when it comes to jailbreaking/rooting your Tesla.

Apple does not seem to care much if a customer has a jailbroken device (worst they seem to ask is to revert it back to standard software for taking your phone in for repairs).

But Tesla seems to have a different mentality. Most who've rooted their car seem to find themselves on a firmware blacklist or other repercussions.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Most who've rooted their car seem to find themselves on a firmware blacklist or other repercussions.
See, I don't think this really a good thing. Tesla is just as much a tech company as they are a car company; Big tech companies set up paid/incentive bug bounty programs, so that white hats can go in and find the really bad and serious holes. Then they're patched by the devs until another bug hunter comes along and finds a new vulnerability.

By slapping the wrists of people who gain access of their own vehicles, Tesla's not really encouraging people to tinker or hack. Elon is a hacker, promotes white hatting, and he even attends hacking conferences sometimes. What a way for Tesla to be two-faced.

Tesla needs to set up a way for people to experiment with their own cars. The US ruled that jailbreaking your "device" is legal. Copying the mentality of popular gaming hardware companies ($$$ony, Xbox, Nintendo, etc) is going to stifle momentum and close doors to avenues that Tesla could really benefit from.

Imagine the possibilities, too, of the amount of (legal) modification you could do to your car... Custom LED patterns on the outside, more Xmas-style dances, and when that stupid sub-18mph warning sound becomes mandatory on all delivered EV's in the US, we could change that to be a better or funny noise... etc.

If any Tesla Dev is reading this, know that I'd love to become an Alpha/Beta tester, and I'd also love a hint at how to get access to some more controls/functions on my car. I'm kinda experienced with hacking consoles and finding vulnerabilities, so it'd be fun to be a part of an unofficial team of white hats. Cheers to the work you've done thus far, and I wish you the best.

Reactions: Superendo
See, I don't think this really a good thing. Tesla is just as much a tech company as they are a car company; Big tech companies set up paid/incentive bug bounty programs, so that white hats can go in and find the really bad and serious holes. Then they're patched by the devs until another bug hunter comes along and finds a new vulnerability.

By slapping the wrists of people who gain access of their own vehicles, Tesla's not really encouraging people to tinker or hack. Elon is a hacker, promotes white hatting, and he even attends hacking conferences sometimes. What a way for Tesla to be two-faced.

Tesla needs to set up a way for people to experiment with their own cars. The US ruled that jailbreaking your "device" is legal. Copying the mentality of popular gaming hardware companies ($$$ony, Xbox, Nintendo, etc) is going to stifle momentum and close doors to avenues that Tesla could really benefit from.

Imagine the possibilities, too, of the amount of (legal) modification you could do to your car... Custom LED patterns on the outside, more Xmas-style dances, and when that stupid sub-18mph warning sound becomes mandatory on all delivered EV's in the US, we could change that to be a better or funny noise... etc.

If any Tesla Dev is reading this, know that I'd love to become an Alpha/Beta tester, and I'd also love a hint at how to get access to some more controls/functions on my car. I'm kinda experienced with hacking consoles and finding vulnerabilities, so it'd be fun to be a part of an unofficial team of white hats. Cheers to the work you've done thus far, and I wish you the best.

Product Security | Tesla

This is for all the people who have paid several thousands of dollars for FSV and up to this point have not been given what they have paid for, or what was promised. Up until now many have been a little peed off, and rightfully so, because old AP1 was better than AP2. So now it is AP2's turn.

Honestly it doesn't bother me that much. Given the option to get a newer 75D or an older P85D, I chose the latter, and I have no regrets. I don't have this car to drive down a 4 lane highway in traffic and be a passenger, I have this car to drive twisty roads. "Real" autopilot is finally here and it is cool, no question, but it is down the list for me. But hey, I am a guy still using an iPhone 5s. The best part of my model S is driving it. In order of importance to me:

1) the acceleration
2) the handling
3) the one pedal driving knowing there is little wasted energy converting brake wear to heat, which saves money not paying for brakes
4) burning no gas: 2 parts to this: saving money and the "feel good" environment part
5) less moving parts which "in theory" means less repairs long term

and after that 6) the ability for me to let the car do the steering and speed, whether that is AP1 or AP2/2.5/3?

I still use AP1 on the straight boring bits of a long drive on the highways. it works well, it reduces driver fatigue, it has shown trucks, cars, and motorcycles in adjacent lanes for months now, and I believe Tesla will continue to make it better.

No, my car doesn't read stoplights, or will do turns on its own, but a model S without AP at all is still one of the most enjoyable cars to drive on the planet, and it will still get infinitely more updates than any other manufacturer.

Enjoy it!
You bullet point four could also include ability to refuel at home. :)

Not sure how people dare to root a $100 000 car. But oh well. I would assume rooting it would void warranty, and they could easily blacklist you. If they see a v9 download going in Europe when it's not supposed to, it's very easy to find the car and just shut it off.

I think rooting is awesome but I would never dare to do it myself I think.

Also, what's "auto" about auto lane change if it's not ... auto? :p

Reactions: rnortman
"The second tech I spoke with also apologized for the fact that the rooted-Tesla community downloaded the software early and leaked features without having been officially sent the latest firmware."

Yeah, such horrible people. :p

I normally don't say this, but I can't wait for Monday.

This joke was so much funnier yesterday before we knew the WHY in why the tech apologized.

Reactions: jgrgnt