Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blind spot monitoring was one of the features listed for AP1 cars, "coming soon via software upgrade" of course since AP1, not unlike AP2, didn't do anything when first sold. Of course we now know it was just another one of Elon's brain-farts, he thought we could make parking sensors work as blind spot monitors, something he could have easily disproven by having a couple of interns drive around and see how ultrasonics don't work well at speed, wind, rain, etc. They are called PARKING sensors for a reason.
I had an Audi s4 which had blind spot monitoring. It used the parking sensors only to detect fast moving cars. So I don’t see why an AP1 or any car with parking sensors could not have blind spot monitoring.

I do wonder psychologically how drivers will interact with it.

Like let's say this implemented it properly where the car had the mentality of a German driver. So the car is really big on passing on the left, and getting over. Where it would only suggest passing on the right if it was really necessary.

If this car was used by a typical PNW person (who doesn't seem to care) would it start to impact them? Would that behavior rub off on them?

Theoretically it's possible to design a lane-guidance system that knew from data collected what a particular exit was like in terms of traffic patterns. Where it could make sure you were in the correct lane for maximum efficiency.

So instead of it being just any normal spouse it was a really intelligent one. Where you learn over time to simply trust the AI.

For me I'm not sure what impact it will have.

A few months ago I heard about an app that supposedly knew what lane you were in, and what lane you needed to be in to get to your destination. I loved the idea of this, and was bummed that it was android only. I tend to be someone who simply wants to know which lane I need, and I don't want any unnecessary drama.

I hate being in lane, and realizing at the last moment that I really needed to be in a different lane. I don't panic if I'm not, and if I can't safely get over I simply miss my exit.

I don't know how much better V9 will be as it currently tells me which lanes I need to be in.

But, it's often telling me that a bit later than I really need it.

Where I live there are huge backups at certain exits. So you really have to be in the correct lane or you become this annoying person who slows down other lanes to get over.

Like let's say this implemented it properly where the car had the mentality of a German driver. So the car is really big on passing on the left, and getting over. Where it would only suggest passing on the right if it was really necessary.

This has been one of my gripes so far... the car seems to do a pretty good job getting to the left lane when it is faster, but likes to camp there/doesn’t do a great job moving back over unless there is a turn coming up or you tell it to. This is obviously something that will (hopefully) get tweaked.

Being out in the midwest, I'd also hope it has a default preference lane. On open multi-lane freeways I don't want people passing me on the right. Then again I should not be in the passing lane in the first place unless I'm passing someone.

On the other hand, in heavy city traffic being in the correct lane is something you often need to do a mile or more beforehand.

Maybe both situations call for manual positioning.

This news just pops the v9 bubble. Not really excited anymore. V9 initial release now adds no additional usable functionality to ap. Lane suggestions are useless to driver without automatic action.

I think it ultimately depends on where a person is coming from.

I'm coming from an AP1 vehicle as I just got my Model 3 a few weeks ago.

For me this is what V9 with AP2.5 brings over what I had with AP1.

1.) It won't have the truck lust issue that AP1 had. I'm sure at least one person will argue that the truck lust issue was solved, but I never felt like it was solved with AP1.
2.) It won't dive for the exits as it knows which exit it needs. With AP1 I found myself having to hold the steering wheel tighter near exits in case it dived for one.
3.) Has a more true form of blind/side spot monitoring as it's actually using the cameras for that in addition to the current ultrasonics. It might allow for better lane positioning versus simply trying to always center.

These are just known issues that I had with AP1.

With AP1 I had a very solid TACC system that I'd occasionally use with AP.

With my Model 3 I seem to have a solid AP system with a questionable TACC. The question being how much of an issue will false braking turn out to be for me.

I have 201 MS facelift AP1 and I had lane change future for about a year now. However if I turn signal when I’m on AP to change the lane and there is a car coming in that lane vehicle will not change lanes. So I guess it is detecting upcoming cars somehow. Therefore I do believe blind spot can be added to AP1

I have 201 MS facelift AP1 and I had lane change future for about a year now. However if I turn signal when I’m on AP to change the lane and there is a car coming in that lane vehicle will not change lanes. So I guess it is detecting upcoming cars somehow. Therefore I do believe blind spot can be added to AP1

AP1 already has blindspot monitoring, and it's provided by the ultrasonic sensors.

The problem is it's not a reliable way of detecting vehicles. I'm not even sure the camera based approach of AP2/V9 is a fool proof way. Blindspot monitoring basically went from 50% to 99%. I would advise people to be really careful during low visibility, and bad weather conditions.

The other problem AP1 had is the IC display for blindspot monitoring was delayed. It was to the point where you'd see the blip AFTER the car had already passed that area of the sensor.

For manual driving the blindspot monitoring is still atrocious even with AP2/V9. It is because it's a bad UX design.

I am contractually obligated by my unofficial agreement with this forum to be the buzzkill here and point out that people who paid for FSD (I assume that's what you meant and "FSV" was a typo) are still legitimately peed off because V9 still does not deliver a single FSD feature. Nor, now that they took away the ability to disable lane change confirmation, does it deliver a single new EAP feature, though it is clearly a strong move toward delivering EAP.

The blind spot monitoring is highly appreciated though anyway... if it works... reliably... in the rain, snow, fog, at night, and with fast-approaching vehicles. You know, like radar has been able to do for years.
Good job on the buzzkill Mortman...way to take your role very seriously! Reality is a tough place to be, fer shur.

Reactions: rnortman

Yes, it can tell if there is a car in your blindspot currently with ultrasonic sensors. But it can not tell if a car is approaching rapidly from behind. Or if another car is trying to change into the same lane (until there is an impending collision)

This is AP1. Unless the car is already in your blind spot, it won't see it. It doesn't see very far back and only cars directly next to it. I have an AP1 car and I even find the ultrasonic detection to be a little unreliable, which is why you have to check your mirrors prior to a lane change even when you use automatic lane change.
Tesla-Autopilot-1.jpg

This is AP2/2.5. With this hardware suite, the car can 'see' much further, and even see whats coming up behind you. It uses computer vision, and not just ultrasonic sensors. The important ones here are the Readward Looking Side Cameras and the Rear View Camera. Also the ultrasonics can see further too with 5 meters vs 8 meters.
Tesla-Autopilot-Hardware.png

That's how we know AP1 won't get ULC, since the hardware is not capable of it. If you're going 65 trying to change lanes and a car is coming up from behind at 85 mph, the car is not capable of detecting that until it's already next to you and by then it's way too late.