Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious why you think a guest network does not work? When I go to my son's home for several days, the MX works just fine on his guest network. Maybe it is a router specific issue. So far at home, I haven't had the MX have difficulty with over 50 devices on the same network, but yes, I can imagine problems can occur in some circumstances where a device might lock up a router, the router itself has a issue or possibly even the Tesla causing an issue, yet I haven't heard of where the Tesla is the issue with other devices.

And ooops, I realized after the fact that I am getting off topic here with my reply. Sorry about that.

Pm me for more info.
Sorry for off topic, Bruce and other moderators :)

Another WiFi Bad Actor - SOLVED - Wink Home Control

He really means anything that broadcasts multicast packets, especially DLNA players. Seems like excessive multicast traffic causes some Teslas to drop off the network.

Ok, that's an answer I can understand. Not sure if it applies or not, but in my network, I have 2 video doorbells constantly sending video to the cloud, WiFi (and hard wired) security cameras, several Alexa devices, streaming Netflix, Sonos base, home control server, iPhones, TVs, garage door openers, weather hub, laser printers, Nixplay, smoke alarms, thermostats, ya de ya de ya, etc. I just now see 52 devices connected. Maybe those devices don't fit your definition, although I never had trouble with anything, so I will keep my fingers crossed. The wife says the house is too complicated with automation. The only thing I can't see to control is her :eek:

Ok, that's an answer I can understand. Not sure if it applies or not, but in my network, I have 2 video doorbells constantly sending video to the cloud, WiFi (and hard wired) security cameras, several Alexa devices, streaming Netflix, Sonos base, home control server, iPhones, TVs, garage door openers, weather hub, laser printers, Nixplay, smoke alarms, thermostats, ya de ya de ya, etc. I just now see 52 devices connected. Maybe those devices don't fit your definition, although I never had trouble with anything, so I will keep my fingers crossed. The wife says the house is too complicated with automation. The only thing I can't see to control is her :eek:

Like you, if it can be connected to a network and used to automate/control something at home I have it... going on almost 50 WiFi light switches alone! But I encountered the DLNA problem he mentioned and for months my car wouldn't update. At first I thought maybe I'm getting passed over on the updates, then I thought maybe the car was trying to download them and failing so finally I started inspecting the traffic going to/from my car and saw it was communicating with my Plex server constantly. I created a separate VLAN and SSID just for the car, made sure my firewall was configured to not pass traffic between the VLANs and instantly the chatter between my car and Plex server stopped. Within a few hours I received my first software update notification in months and was up-to-date a short time later.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
There’s a lot to read through but have not seen it. Has the nag improved at all, or still the same frequency?

Nag frequency is the same with nav on autopilot disabled, and slightly more frequent with it enabled (as every time it wants to make a lane change it will nag you. This doesn’t matter much yet though, as confirming the change with the AP or blinker stalks satisfies the nag).

The changes from .36 where any steering wheel button/lever input counts to dismiss/avoid a nag are hugely helpful.

Why can't the drive-on-nav confirmation use a slight turn of the wheel to that direction to confirm instead of having to turn on the lane signal? That would be so much easier and less "naggy".

Probably because the current “nag” uses slight torque on the wheel to detect hands holding the steering wheel. If you’re already applying slight torque and the car asks for permission to change lanes, it could just immediately change lanes without enough time for you to even notice it was asking.

Reactions: mongo
Why can't the drive-on-nav confirmation use a slight turn of the wheel to that direction to confirm instead of having to turn on the lane signal? That would be so much easier and less "naggy".

This is basically how it works currently in v9 with ULC enabled as demonstrated in some of the earlier videos: the car puts its blinker on and “nags you” when it wants to make a lane change and doesn’t detect your hands. A slight torque of the wheel confirms the change and it goes. (AP Stalk And blinkers work too, but steering wheel buttons/etc will not confirm the lane change).

The irony is you actually get more nags this way. But it is definitely pretty natural/seems less obtrusive.

And indeed, that’s exactly what happens with ULC on.

I thought ULC was unassisted lane change meaning you don't have to confirm?

Where the version that's actually being released requires confirming, and this confirmation has to happen with the turn signals. It would certainly be cool, and natural to confirm with the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Nag frequency is the same with nav on autopilot disabled, and slightly more frequent with it enabled (as every time it wants to make a lane change it will nag you. This doesn’t matter much yet though, as confirming the change with the AP or blinker stalks satisfies the nag).

The changes from .36 where any steering wheel button/lever input counts to dismiss/avoid a nag are hugely helpful.
Thx! Yeah 36 helped. Though, I wish the accelerator pedal also satisfied nag. Just a little tap.

Like you, if it can be connected to a network and used to automate/control something at home I have it... going on almost 50 WiFi light switches alone! But I encountered the DLNA problem he mentioned and for months my car wouldn't update. At first I thought maybe I'm getting passed over on the updates, then I thought maybe the car was trying to download them and failing so finally I started inspecting the traffic going to/from my car and saw it was communicating with my Plex server constantly. I created a separate VLAN and SSID just for the car, made sure my firewall was configured to not pass traffic between the VLANs and instantly the chatter between my car and Plex server stopped. Within a few hours I received my first software update notification in months and was up-to-date a short time later.

That was the problem your car was binge watching shows and didn't have time to download updates. Now the question is what show was it binge watching? I'm going to guess Knight Rider.

Where the version that's actually being released requires confirming, and this confirmation has to happen with the turn signals. It would certainly be cool, and natural to confirm with the steering wheel.

Correct. Even in that mode though, the car won’t change lanes unless it detects hands on.

So while I know this has probably been mentioned many times, is there a summary of the AP steering and performance improvements?

I don’t mean new features like drive by nav or lane change. The actual handling of complex curves, hills, and traffic? Hoping the additional cameras and improved AI have provided a major leap in the drive handling too.

Eager for all the feedback while I wait (somewhat) patiently. I know there aren’t that many who have it yet.

I beg to differ. L3 is defined as a system that monitors the driving environment in addition to executing steering and acceleration/deceleration. it is defined by the SAE as "the driving mode-specific performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task with the expectation that the human driver will respond appropriately to a request to intervene."

Lane changing is certainly a dynamic driving task, wouldn't you say and deciding when to make a lane change certainly requires monitoring the environment (seeing other cars, predicting the path of those other cars, determining if those other cars are a collision risk, detecting the lanes and knowing where you are in relation to those lanes etc). So lane changing is definitely a piece of L3.

Based on the definition of L3, V9 certainly qualifies on the highway.

Let's look at the definition again: "the driving mode-specific performance by an automated driving system of all aspects of the dynamic driving task with the expectation that the human driver will respond appropriately to a request to intervene."

If "all aspects of the dynamic driving task" is not about capability, what is it about?

Depends on what the features are. If the features represent a higher level of autonomy, then yeah, they will most certainly bring the system closer to L3.

Uhm no. That's like saying if the car can handle parking then it brings the system closer to L3.

Lane Change is not what makes a system L3 and Lane Change is not DDT. Its a feature. The SAE calls it "DRIVING AUTOMATION SYSTEM FEATURE"

Which describes A level 1-5 driving automation system’s design-specific functionality at a given level of driving automation within a particular ODD, if applicable. Each feature satisfies a usage specification. Features may be referred to by generic names (e.g., automated parking) or by proprietary names.

Lane change is not however DDT.

DYNAMIC DRIVING TASK (DDT) is All of the real-time operational and tactical functions required to operate a vehicle in on-road traffic, excluding the strategic functions such as trip scheduling and selection of destinations and waypoints, and including without limitation:

1. Lateral vehicle motion control via steering (operational);
2. Longitudinal vehicle motion control via acceleration and deceleration (operational);
3. Monitoring the driving environment via object and event detection, recognition, classification, and response preparation (operational and tactical);
4. Object and event response execution (operational and tactical); Maneuver planning (tactical); and Enhancing conspicuity via lighting, signaling and gesturing, etc. (tactical).

What makes a system L3 is that the system is monitoring the environment (which is apart of the DDT), and the ability to warn the driver in advance because of that, while giving him sufficient time (for example 5-10 seconds) to intervene.

You really need to read the Full SAE document that @Snuffysasa posted, the 2018 (J3016_201806) revised version preferably.
It goes into detail on what is DDT, ODD, Monitoring environment, Disengagement, etc...

For example: a level 3 ADS feature designed to perform the complete DDT during traffic jams on fully access-controlled freeways. The level 3 ADS traffic jam feature requires the user to drive the vehicle to the freeway before engaging the feature, as well as again driving the vehicle upon exiting the freeway in order to complete the trip.

A level 3 ADS feature that performs the entire DDT during traffic jams on freeways is not able to do so when it encounters a crash scene and therefore issues a request to intervene to the DDT fallback-ready user. S/he responds by taking over performance of the entire DDT in order to maneuver around the crash scene. (Note that in this example, a minimal risk condition is not needed or achieved.)

Some level 3 features may be designed to automatically perform the fallback and achieve a minimal risk condition in some circumstances, such as when an obstacle-free, adjacent shoulder is present, but not in others, such as when no such road shoulder is available. The assignment of level 3 therefore does not restrict the ADS from automatically achieving the MRC, but it cannot guarantee automated achievement of MRC in all cases within its ODD. Moreover, automated MRC achievement in some, but not all, circumstances that demand it does not constitute level 4 functionality.

At level 3, an ADS is capable of continuing to perform the DDT for at least several seconds after providing the fallback-ready user with a request to intervene. The DDT fallback-ready user is then expected to achieve a minimal risk condition if s/he determines it to be necessary.

Another example of an ADS is A vehicle equipped with a level 4 parking valet feature designed to allow the user to exit the vehicle near a parking lot and then dispatch it to a parking space.

(I lifted some relevant info from the document)

Last edited:

I thought ULC was a TLA that hasn't been defined.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve