Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please has any one with AP1 received V9 update? I know it may not have all the specials that come's with EAP model S,X and 3. After all the statement on Tesla site says All! Model S, X and 3 on the road will get some improvement with V9 ipdate, so has any one updated AP1 Tesla's to V9?

Is there any source to the claim Tesla are using outdated NNs? Karpathy was tweeting about the performance increases YOLO managed to achieve by optimizing the underlying code earlier this year, followed up by a tweet celebrating his own optimization, of course putting neither in any context with his job at Tesla...

Is there any source to the claim Tesla are using outdated NNs? Karpathy was tweeting about the performance increases YOLO managed to achieve by optimizing the underlying code earlier this year, followed up by a tweet celebrating his own optimization, of course putting neither in any context with his job at Tesla...

They are not. They did use outdated NNs (though they were modified). My understanding of the AP saga is that the Apple guy they hired after Sterling Andersen left did not do a great job. The vision architecture was bad, control algos didn't work, etc. They couldn't emulate EyeQ3. That's why they hired AK -- he was able to implement a new NN (said prior one was too broken to fix). That new NN became 2017.26 and on until 2017.50.3 when a new, from scratch, NN was implemented. Since then 2018.10 was also a complete rewrite and now v9.0 features yet another rewrite. Each is more complex and capable. Now NNs exist for a variety of purposes. @jimmy_d has the explanations in the AV subforum as to what NN does what and why he thinks certain things after he analyzes the code.

The mass roll out has begun!

th1yGNb.png

Reactions: mhan00 and EinSV
Please has any one with AP1 received V9 update? I know it may not have all the specials that come's with EAP model S,X and 3. After all the statement on Tesla site says All! Model S, X and 3 on the road will get some improvement with V9 ipdate, so has any one updated AP1 Tesla's to V9?
I just received 2018.39.6 on my AP1 Model S. It has the new UI for the center display, media control from the app, obstacle aware acceleration, Atari games, and minor improvements/fixes according to the release notes.

So after a bunch of brain functions I opted to do the update. Notice I don’t call it an upgrade at this point. I previously had not wanted to update. So why the change of heart?

1 - Your mileage may vary but the way I personally use the screen 95% of the time I use Nav on top and the browser on the bottom. This does not change in V9. I do respect that others seriously have a problem in not having THEIR choice available for viewing at the top of the screen. It appears Tesla does not respect the need for choice.... at least for those who spent a bunch more for their cars than for the 3's.

2 - I saw enough reviews showing objective improvements.

3 - We are leaving on a trip to Florida soon and if an update is accepted I at least wanted some quality time checking it out.

Results: Some good and some eh’s. Lane changes are vastly improved. There is no longer a delay in execution. AP1 seems silky smooth. The browser is noticeably more reliable when using TeslaWaze. It doesn’t appear to stall now. Coming to a stop, when a car in front of you is at a stop light, starts sooner. My wife will like that one a lot.

The not so good are the media player always pops up even if you haven’t requested it to. And even if you close the player it will open unexpectedly at frequent times. Aggravating.

The control panel is now a minimalist design with everything consolidated in one set of choices. No longer do you have to pick between controls or settings.

So those are my take aways from spending a good 5 hours with it yesterday.

Do I now recommend you update. Well yes but begrudgingly. There are true improvements but the points I made originally are still accurate too. Can you stand killing the update window each time you return to your car? Tesla makes it difficult to ignore.

I keep checking the site...just to make sure it doesn't 'accidently' surface...

Please stop hitting the server. It will not 'accidentally' surface on my server. (especially you; chinese IP 202.38.75.150, come on: 700 hits in 14 hours?)
Tesla asked me kindly to remove the download. So I did.
They pointed out to me that there might be regulatory issues in certain regions.

But anyway, it is their software - which they didn't license me to redistribute (except maybe the GPL parts), so it's theirs to release in the way they prefer. Obviously, we are all inpatient people. Especially in the dawn of these exciting new features.

Personally, I prefer to focus instead of the v9.0 firmware on building new stuff into the car software. In a way that it's not impacting the system (remove USB stick and it's gone). And to turn it into something easily extendable with other cool OpenSource projects.
That's what I try to build with the FreedomEV website.

When I have the time and things are more polished, I'll post some nice movies about it and how to install it. But I'll stop posting v9.0 movies.

But anyway, it is their software - which they didn't license me to redistribute (except maybe the GPL parts), so it's theirs to release in the way they prefer. Obviously, we are all inpatient people. Especially in the dawn of these exciting new features.
If only Tesla respected their GPL copyright obligations as much as they expect others to respect their rights, sigh.

Agree with the above comment that AP1 lane changing is much better now. The lag between signaling and actually moving into the next lane is much less, similar to how I would signal and move with autopilot off. It’s smooth and not jarring. A nice improvement that makes lane changing much more usable when there are a lot of cars around.

Interesting for me on 32.2 still is the way my car abruptly stopped uploading any video despite numerous challenging autopilot scenarios and disengagements. I guess once 9.0 was considered stable, they just stopped pulling autopilot data from any previous versions, which I guess makes sense since the neural network and cameras used are totally different now. My car used to routinely upload 150+MB after an urban autopilot run with disengagements, now it's virtually silent after any drives.

• Informative
Reactions: BeesKnees
Interestingly, they were able to get the brake fix out to everyone in one weekend so why can't we get a 500mb update to everyone.

It’s probably more an issue of “want” vs “can” on Tesla’s part.
If a problem is discovered in early 9.0 releases, best to not have it widespread to the whole fleet.
Incremental rollout is a good idea IMHO, even while I’m one of the owners sitting and waiting for an update notification every day..

Certainly seems like they found a bunch of problems, the strong install numbers on ev-fw.com have slowed to a trickle for the last two days. Also YouTube is blowing mostly tumbleweeds when you're searching for V9 driving videos from this week.
That's definitely not a wide rollout anymore.